SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 8

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
PosterThread
HereIAm

Re:

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself among the ranks of the insane!" Marcus Aurelius

2008/7/29 23:36Profile

Re:

"...In keeping with this dignity, preaching has a twofold value: (1) It is instrumental in gathering the church and bringing together all of the elect; (2) It drives away the wolves from the folds of the Lord. Preaching is the flexanima, the allurer of the soul, by which our self-willed minds are subdued and changed from an ungodly and pagan life-style to a life of Christian faith and repentance. It is also the weapon which has shaken the foundations of ancient heresies, and also, more recently cut to pieces the sinews of the Antichrist. So, if anyone asks which spiritual gift is the 'most excellent', undoubtedly the prize must be given to prophesying...."

~William Perkins (1558-1602)

The Art of Prophesying
first published in Latin 1592 and in English 1606

2008/7/30 16:16

Re:

If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of the truth of God except precisely that point which the world and the devil are at that moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ. Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved, and to be steady on all the battlefield besides, is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point.

~ Martin Luther

(Luther’s Works. Weimar Edition. Briefwechsel [Correspondence], vol. 3, pp. 81f)

2008/7/31 18:54

Re:

One man with God is always in the majority.

- John Knox

2008/8/1 14:27

Re:

...the woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved.

- Matthew Henry

2008/8/1 20:43

Re:

But is this our life, in these evil and lukewarm times? How many be there that believe in Christ, that they may live as they list? If to drink, and whore, and scoff, and blaspheme; if to shake a lock, and follow every fond fashion; if to cross and cringe before a piece of wood; if to be weary of the word, and out­wardly zealous for long prayers; if to seek purity of ordinances in churches, and to maintain impurity in hearts, in shops, in fam­ilies; if to set our hearts upon farms and merchandises, and so to be covetous; if to set up our own selves, and parts, and gifts, with a secret disdain of God’s ministers; if to cry down learning, and set up ignorance; if to set up Christ, and destroy sanctification and obedience; if to be a sect master of some odd opinions; if to crack the nut of some superlunary and monkish notions and high-flown speculations; if to hear much and do little; if to have a name to live, and yet dead at the heart, — if this be to live the life of love, we have many that live this life; the Lord Jesus wants no love, if this be to love. But O, woe unto you, if you thus requite the Lord, foolish people and unwise.

~Thomas Shepard

2008/8/2 15:34

Re:

"When men do follow eagerly a business that is evil and follow a man or woman in a thing to do hurt to them and follow them eagerly and resolve never to leave till they have got their wills of them, they may be said to persecute these men. For persecution is not merely to do a man hurt. There is a difference between wronging a man and persecuting a man. They may do them wrong in some one act; they may do them wrong accidentally. But now persecution is when, intending to follow a man or woman in a constant way, and resolve never to leave them until they have had their wills of them. Oh, blessed are they that are persecuted, that are followed by the world — those that the persecutors of the world are set upon and are eager to do hurt unto. This is for righteousness. It is not the punishment, but the cause that makes the martyr. Those are not blessed that are followed hard for their sin, for their wickedness — that suffer for wickedness, that suffer for evil doers, for God would not have them suffer so. No. That is a part of the curse of God upon them that as they do evil, so they should suffer evil. Now the saints that are blessed, they labor to be so far from suffering for evil-doing that they would rather suffer all the evil in the world than do the least. There is a great deal of difference between these two."

~Jeremiah Burroughs

2008/8/8 15:48
HeartSong

Re:

However matters go, it is our happiness to win new ground daily in Christ's love, and to purchase a new piece of it daily, and to add conquest to conquest, till our Lord Jesus and we be so near the other that Satan shall not draw a straw or a thread betwixt us.
- Samuel Rutherford

2008/8/8 17:32Profile

Re:

"What an honorable thing is it to be fishers of men! How great an honor shouldst thou esteem it, to be a catcher of souls! We are workers together with God, says the apostle. If God has ever so honored thee, O that thou knewest it that thou mightst bless his holy name, that ever made such a poor fool as thee to be a co-worker with him. God has owned thee to do good to those who were before caught. O my soul, bless thou the Lord. Lord, what am I, or what is my father's house, that thou hast brought me to this?"

~Thomas Boston

2008/8/9 21:21
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Quoting

[i]There is no Christian Gospel if history simply unwinds into a meaningless puddle, if the cosmos simply escapes into a cataclysmic black hole, or if the universe finally dies of exhausted energy. Without belief in a biblical eschatology, there is no Christian hope. Without a sense of perfect moral judgment in the end, the human heart is homeless.[/i]

R. Albert Mohler, Jr.

[url=http://www.christianpost.com/article/20080609/the-end-of-history-the-moral-necessity-of-eschatology.htm]The End of History - The Moral Necessity of Eschatology [/url]

2008/8/10 10:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy