SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "Desiring the 'gifts' of The Spirit"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Hia David.

About the fruit ...

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 [u]If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.[/u]
Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

"The 'fruit' of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance (against such there is no law.)

Paul is discussing "walking in the Spirit", like Jesus did.

Love is always first - then how can we have love without the others ?

How could we be walking in HIS Spirit - and only possess a few of these and not the rest?

Only when we get in the flesh again - we lose love and the whole other listed virtues fall with it. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

How could you have joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance without love?

And if you are walking in His Spirit then they are one "nature" --- HIS.

1 Corth 12:31 - The sense seems to be this, “I have proved that all endowments in the church are produced by the Holy Spirit; and that He confers them as he pleases. I have been showing that no one should be proud or elated on account of extraordinary endowments; and that, on the other hand, no one should be depressed, or sad, or discontented, because he has a more humble rank. I have been endeavoring to repress and subdue the spirit of discontent, jealousy, and ambition; and to produce a willingness in all to occupy the station where God has placed you. But, I do not intend to deny that it is proper to desire the most useful endowments; that a man should wish to be brought under the influence of the Spirit, and qualified for eminent usefulness. I do not mean to say that it is wrong for a man to regard the higher gifts of the Spirit as valuable and desirable, if they may be obtained; nor that the spirit which seeks to excel in spiritual endowments and in usefulness, is improper.
Yet all cannot be apostles; all cannot be prophets. I would not have you, therefore, seek such offices, and manifest a spirit of ambition. I would seek to regulate the desire which I would not repress as improper; and in order to that, I would show you that, instead of aspiring to offices and extraordinary endowments which are beyond your grasp, there is a way, more truly valuable, that is open to you all, and where all may excel.” Paul thus endeavors to give a practicable and feasible turn to the whole subject, and further to repress the longings of ambition and the contentions of strife, by exciting emulation to obtain that which was accessible to them all, and “which, just in the proportion in which it was obtained,” would repress discontent, and strife, and ambition, and produce order, and peace, and contentedness with their endowments and their lot, the main thing which he was desirous of producing in this chapter. This, therefore, is one of the “happy turns” in which the writings of Paul abounds. He did not denounce their zeal as wicked. He did not attempt at once to repress it. He did not say that it was wrong to desire high endowments. But he showed them an endowment which was more valuable than all the others; which was accessible to all; and which, if possessed, would make them contented, and produce the harmonious operation of all the parts of the church. That endowment was love.
A more excellent way - See the next chapter. “I will show you a more excellent way of evincing your “zeal” than by aspiring to the place of apostles, prophets, or rulers, and that is by cultivating universal charity or love.”

Albert Barnes above did a great job.

That's why the two chpt.s about the gifts have a chpt on Love sandwiched between them. Though there were no verse numbers or chapters in what Paul originally wrote.
It was just one long discourse on the Body walking in dependence on The Head or in His Spirit --- same thing. But the greatest of these is love.

Any better?

2008/1/18 1:03
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose for this thread?

Is it pious to be indifferent or to diminish in [b]any way[/b] anything that God has given us?

I do not understand the purpose for this thread?

Thank you,

Chris

2008/1/18 5:31Profile
psalm1

Re:

Chris, I am not sure either but HE_Reigns did clarify something .
Normally I would tell anybody to "go for it" concerning the gifts.
But the massacre that has happened both with the tv preachers and the watchdogs has just about worked its way to "no gifts"
The major revivals that I attended [at tremendous loss and sacrifice] were like the gifts on steroids.
The brethren here have corrected me to the point that I am beginning to think they are in a position of "making the gifts anemic enough to where they will just fade into the sunset".
The gifts have become a theological debate.
we think it pious and so correct to say"I seek his face and not his hand" or "dont seek the gifts, seek the giver"
This has an ELEMENT of truth but is easily turned into "no gifts" by the people predisposed that way .
Now this is interesting......suppose the Antichrist calls down fire from heaven.
This is a false miracle.
I believe many people that reject Gods gifts for whatever reason have a greater chance of deception to the false than those that have spent countless hours in the presence of God and seen God work through miracles signs and wonders.

David

2008/1/18 11:00Profile

Re: "Desiring the 'gifts' of The Spirit"

Hia brothers.

I must admit, you both have me a bit perplexed.

Have you read the very first post on page one?

Because "The Body" and "Love" is being focused on - I wonder if maybe, the first post here got lost from the sandwich?

Could you both try one more time to read the first post - pg. 1 and see if there's something else that I could maybe try to answer more clearly, from the Word?

Thank you lots & God Bless!

2008/1/18 12:08
psalm1

Re:

HE_Reigns, i would only hope to add to what was already addressed.
My two questions i think you did answer.
I mainly wanted to affirm along with you that we should seek anything that God has made available to his body.
I had thought that 1cor 12;31 would be useful to the discussion since you mentioned context.
Also 1cor14;12
Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
1cor 14;1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

If it is from God and he knows more than I do it would seem expedient to my walk to not only acknowledge the gifts .....But like Paul go hard after them.?

David

2008/1/18 20:25Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Annie,

Do you know if Albert Barnes or any of his contemporaries operated in these gifts?

Thanks.

2008/1/18 20:35Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

I was wondering about this,

If there are sick and dying among us, is it good that [b]no one[/b] of us can perform a miracle?

If there are those hurting and wounded, or in doubt, or having uncertainty among us, is it good that [b]no one[/b] has a word of knowledge?

If there are quarrels and fights among us, is it good that [b]no one[/b] has a word of wisdom?

If there are sins among us, is it good that [b]no one[/b] can prophesy?

If there are unbeleivers around us, or we are weak and need strengthening, is it good that [b]no one[/b] speaks in tounges, as a sign, or to eddify themselves?

The Corinthians came behind in no gift. Is it good if we come behind in them all?

Thanks,

Chris

2008/1/18 20:56Profile

Re:

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to figure if it's something in the wording in my first post on pg. 1 that is causing y'all to not see what it says?

:-o

I'll drag just one fragment of it to here and see if it helps to seperate it from the whole - though, I don't want to seperate this from the whole - the parts about "the Body" and dying to self and then even going on to where Suzy helped us get the "love" part in - Gal 5 and we went to 1 Corth 13 being smack dabbed in the middle of the two chpt.s on the gifts. Neat!

anyhows, here's that small part from post 1 -

[i]"He had All the "gifts" - we are to be as He was in the world.
He depended 100% on the Spirit. If we stop our autonomous way of thinking and living - as He walked totally dependent on the Father for every word, thought and deed - then it won't be "gifts" that we'll be looking for, but just to obey the Father in whatever He would have us to do, think or say and "gifts" are just part of Him living His life through us. They are not to be glorified - He is."[/i]

GLORY to GOD!

2008/1/18 21:42
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi annie,

Have you ever worked on a car?

2008/1/18 21:56Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Hey we all have the gift to gab or is that not from Christ? :-P