SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : What is Revival to you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

One thing I have noticed in different circles of different types of church goers; humans are humans. Unfortunately as humans we are easily sidetracked, easily swayed, easily distracted from singularity in Christ. Even as the Lord Jesus Christ spoke to the churches in the book of the Revelation from Ephesus to Laodecia His consistent words were to them "Repent".

I have been around those who have chosen not to have a tv, and those who do; one seems to look upon those who do with disdain and the other seems to try to make excuse for what they have- seems to me that there is much missing in both camps. We as humans have such a tendency to look at the other humans around us and judge ourselves by what they do or do not do; instead of fixing our eyes on the Christ who is perfect in ALL His ways and seeking to be justified only by Him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with you that we here in the "civilized western world" have MANY gods- not the least of which is self fullfillment by whatever means are available at the moment. Yet, I see a deeper cause and effect by our human comparisons and human understandings- one that detours us from the true vision of personal and corporeal revival and spiritual awakening...

Quote:
I'm praying that I would realize heartily that "at His right hand are pleasures forevermore."

That when I focus on what God does, who God is, His infinite power, His beauty, His pleasure; His perfect way of peace, grace, and everything eternal and eternally good- everything else is just dabbling in what does not profit.

"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive honor and glory and power: for Thou hast created all things, and for Thy pleasure they are and were created." Rev 4:11
Quote:
I am praying that God revives my heart to His majesty and glory

And I pray that He does that for us ALL as well!!

Thank you for your post.

2008/1/5 16:18Profile
psalm1

Re:

lori, What i have witnessed in "corporate revival" is the holy spirit runs a "plow" through the congregation and deep repentance "corporately" takes place.[pre-revival]

David

2008/1/5 16:37Profile
davyman

Re:

Lor e:

I don't condemn anyone for having a TV. I guess my point is that revival comes when Christians yearn to love God with all their heart, with all their might and with all their soul.

I am disheartened when confessing Christians see nothing wrong with MTV or Victoria's Secret commercials or TV shows that celebrate sodomy. I am a lot happier to be without the boob tube, I'm not saying that it will last for the rest of my life, but I feel cleaner. That's my personal testimony.

As for as revival goes, I pray earnestly that God will continue to soften this stony heart in my chest. I want to see Him move in power to save those that are heading to hell. I guess I've never forgotten what it's like to be a rebel, an enemy of God. I also see that it must happen first within the church. We need to look different to the world. We need to act differently. We need to speak differently. We need to live differently than the world.

SDG,

Dave

2008/1/5 17:15Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Thanks Dave,
I did not mean to insinuate that you were condemning, only that it has been my experience that in some circles it does happen. And I praise God when men (humans in general and men as being the leaders God intended them to be!) actually stand up and are examples of a self disciplined life under the direction of the Lord!

Yes and amen! I agree very much! We should be different than the world, if we belong to Christ-we are different, we just have much to learn about being Christlike as opposed to being self driven!

Thank you for your post,
Lori

2008/1/6 12:21Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

Thank you for your response David. May the "plow" of the Lord run through every congregation to bring repentance!!!

A friend of mine many years ago mentioned to me that "corporate" a form of "corporation" meant that no one is to blame, a form of this worlds governing powers; but that corporeal- was "the whole man" meaning that the whole body is involved. I always think of that now when I think of what you are speaking of.

Thankyou,
Lori

2008/1/6 12:23Profile
davyman

Re:

Lori,

So how are we different? Is it that we hang out a church on Sundays rather than the local bar? I don't know the answer, but I suspect that Christians need to disentangle themselves from the trappings of the world. My own example: I am really coveting a new Imac. It looks cool, the new OS is unbelievable (they've added 300 new features, after all!), and my computer is 5 years old! How petty is that? I repent every time the thought comes up that I NEED a new Mac. I just read about an orphanage in Africa that a missionary descibed as "a bomb exploded in a landfill." These are Christian brothers and sisters that are SUFFERING for the sake of the Gospel. I need a new computer: Jesus, I need new priorities!

To me, when Christians come together in repentance for our blatant covetousness and consumerism then we can begin to pray earnestly for revival. God hears our prayers for revival served up with our divided allegiance to the "stuff of earth" (as Rich Mullins put it) and it is a stench to Him.

My opinion: revival will come with an economic depression. When real, Bible-believing Christians lose their stuff, when we are confronted with dependence on God for survival, when the Church begins ministering to her own; then revival will come to this land, if God wills.

SDG,

Dave

2008/1/6 12:49Profile
psalm1

Re:

Lori, There may be something to the "get rid of the TV and the world" view of Davy.
However TV wont stop revival.
Revival"comes" through faith,
Jesus promised us revival and it is "laid hold of" just like salvation and healing.
We will have revival in the near future.
I believe that.
It will come through one man like it always does.
When times square church was visited with revival one can look to the pre-revival days and see a remarkable phenomenon.
Dave suspended all church activities and opened the church 24/7 to prayer and repentance.
It was so moving it was actually disarming.
I knew i was in the midst of people that were far,far beyond me.
I never knew what corporate repentance was like. I was never,ever in the midst of hundreds of people crying LOUDLY their sins and confessing before God in anguish.
It moved me so much I could barely make it back to my seat.
One lady asked me "sir are you alright?"
People must be "conditioned" {plowed] to prepare their hearts.
The encounter with God in your prayer closet is different than the encounter "corporately" with the saints.
It is much much more powerful and weighty with a congregation.

David

2008/1/6 13:14Profile
Lor_E

Montana USA

Re:

How are we different than the world? When I say this I mean several things: 1. We answer to a different ruler than the world. 2. We will be judged differently than the world. 3. We are held to a different standard than the world. 4. We have hope, the world doesn’t. I’m sure this is not a definitive list just a few that are on there.

My point in this discussion regarding outward expressions such as tv and so forth is this: I know non Christians that do not have tv’s and it does not make them spiritual; perhaps smarter as they don’t “veg” out and perhaps use their brains more than someone that merely sits and lapses into a television coma. Although my understanding of scripture says that Christians already are spiritual, if indeed they are “born again”. Now that does not mean that they, those that name the name of Christ or have been “born again”, are wise, discerning, mature, obedient, and are not instead rather “soulish” (being led about by their emotions, their thoughts and their own ideas). Being a Christian also in my estimation of scripture does not mean that they can not be judged together with the world, such as Rev 18:4 “Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.”

But when you mention “consumerism”, I wonder, where does it spring from? What is the root cause, the foundation of the mindset which falls into: bigger, better, more expensive? For that matter, what is the origination for those that would find pleasure in watching sin- regardless of where it came from?

Now, I must compare this train of thought to the source that brings revival, on the other hand where does revival come from? Since we know that revival comes from God than I must consider that it is not mere externals that is keeping revival from happening- rather some abhorrent to God- not that those things which are represented on the television are not abhorrent, but they belong to the world, their source comes from the world. Instead, those things that belong to God are the things that He chooses to work through- isn’t it? So therefore it seems that according to scripture it is a vessel - a human vessel that God desires to work through- to reveal His testimony through- to be on this earth even as Jesus Christ were. However, there must be some inward issues, some source, some basic discrepancy, some place of disobedience, doubt, pride, double mindedness, self exalting heart conditions that are hindering revival.

Can ridding oneself of a bad habit change your heart?

I’m reminded of the statement I heard regarding the Welsh revival in which AFTER revival no one attended sporting events or parties.

I wonder, if being revived/ as in revival, being as others have suggested the sweeping and cultivating, cleansing power of the great God that we serve; wouldn’t the act of revival itself cause those who love Christ and desire Him above all else to put away any other distraction? Or would the latter come before revival actually moved upon hearts of men?

If television keeps me from being obedient throw it out! If magazines, books or even newspaper ads keep me from being obedient, ignore them completely. If it is rather my own heart needing to be changed more in the likeness of the obedient, humble, loving Christ rather than my (sick) surrounding culture- Lord PLEASE do so to me!

2008/1/9 18:18Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

To simply answer the question of the original post, I believe revival has to do with the church. It's when the body of Christ, through conviction, falls on their faces in repentance and returns to the Word and holy living.

2008/1/14 20:08Profile
dohzman

Re: What is Revival to you?

"thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"

2008/1/15 8:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy