Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Evangelism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
todd

California

Evangelism

Outside of the gospels, wherein Jesus Christ Himself directly commissions the disciples in evangelsitic types of endeavors, is there any other New Testament exhortations to evangelize? Not implied, but clearly stated?

2004/5/26 20:07Profile
rocklife

usa

Re: Evangelism

Paul says copy him in 1 Cor 4:16, and 1 John 2:6 says copy Jesus. Paul and Jesus went fishing for men and doing good, all for the glory of God.
Jude vs 22-23 says "Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear- hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh." I encourage evangelism, I think that's one of the most loving things we can do for people (I also evangelize as God directs).

It is surprising to then read in Rev 22:11 "Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy." That Scripture seems a little odd to me. (I'd appreciate any insights myself)

2004/5/27 1:18Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Outside of the gospels, wherein Jesus Christ Himself directly commissions the disciples in evangelsitic types of endeavors, is there any other New Testament exhortations to evangelize? Not implied, but clearly stated?

Brother Todd, thats a great question and I know there are many scriptures that clearly say for us to 'evangelize' (tell others verbally about Jesus Christ and how in Him is life). But I think this is a great place to also share something I feel is right on this topic. In another thread Chanin (moreofhim) and myself ran into this topic and we felt for every christian to go out and street preach or proclaim CHRIST in a very outward verbal way all the time seemed abit weird. Sure there are many called to do that and that is their [b]calling[/b], and callings cannot be taught by men but given by God. I think the scriptures are clear in that our [i]life[/i] (which is Christ in us) bears witness to the world, in our good deeds, actions, words, conduct, behaviour. This is the best way of evangelizing: Just being a Christian, being in Christ and abiding in Him. Sure there is times to verbally share the faith but for all Christians to go out on the streets and proclaim Christ, some being in sin, others not even knowing Christ, others even speaking out of a wrong spirit, then the world would definetly not get the right impression. And to back that all up its not biblical.

I hope my point is taken without offense and its in no way exuastive. If this thread matures I am sure the we all will have time to get out many scriptures to get a more detailed picture of this. It's so encouraging to see you all striving after truth. Surely its the Love of truth that keeps us from going astray by the mercy of God. ;-)

2004/5/27 1:49Profile
KeithLaMothe

The commands in the Gospels should not be treated as "only for the early church" without good cause, but if you want other verses:

Acts 1:8
But ye shall receive power after the Holy Ghost is come upon you; and [b]ye shall be witnesses[/b] unto Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and in Samaria, and [b]unto the uttermost part of the earth[/b]."

Romans 10
12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich unto all who call upon Him.
13 For "whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And [b]how shall they hear without a preacher[/b]?
15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of them that [b]preach the Gospel[/b] of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!"
16 But they have not all obeyed the Gospel. For Isaiah saith, "Lord, who hath believed our report?"
17 So then [b]faith cometh by hearing[/b], and hearing by the Word of God.

2 Timothy 4
1 I charge thee therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at His appearing and His Kingdom:
2 [b]preach the Word[/b]; be instant [b]in season and out of season[/b]; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

James 5
19 Brethren, if any of you err from the truth and one convert him,
20 let him know that he who [b]converteth the sinner[/b] from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

(It's talking about turning believers from sin to save them from spiritual death, but the situation isn't that different with the non-believers)

Jude
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And [b]on some have compassion[/b], making a difference;
23 and [b]others save with fear[/b], pulling them [b]out of the fire[/b], hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

As mentioned above, Paul also exhorted his readers to imitate him as he imitated Christ; both Paul and Christ did quite a bit of what we might call "evangelism."

I think the emphasis is more on preaching the Word and discipling people, not making quite as sharp a distinction as we do today between preaching to believers and preaching to non-believers.

edit:
As for the calling or lack thereof needed for evangelism; I do believe there are some specially called to the duty, but I also believe every mature believer should have the knowledge, faith, and courage (from faith) to preach the Law and the Gospel in the open air. Not that they have to do so, but the reason for them not doing so should not be lack of knowledge, lack of faith, fear of men or lack of fear of God. I could go into verses supporting public preaching of the Word (for evangelism and other things), but I think I'll refrain from quoting the whole Bible in [b]every[/b] post :)

2004/5/27 4:13Profile
matthew

Re:

Quote:
but for all Christians to go out on the streets and proclaim Christ, some being in sin, others not even knowing Christ, others even speaking out of a wrong spirit,

I must first ask for clarification, are you of the opinion that those who continue (I know that's not your word if I've misinterpreted your words I apologize) in sin, and those who do not know him ARE Christians?

John 17:3

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Also,

Philippians 1
17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.[1] 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
19Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.

Paul is pleased that people are preaching Christ to make trouble for him. That is deffinitly not the right motivation...

but

The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

2004/5/27 10:09Profile
matthew

Given this is not the case, but IF there were NOTHING save the command of Jesus to evangelize, would that not be enough? Maybe I'm missing your intent in asking, if so Sorry...

2004/5/27 10:13Profile
moreofHim

Re: evangelism

Just wondering... isn't sending out 100's of copies of the Revival Hymn- evangelism? isn't having this site to spread the true gospel considered evangelism? Or is evangelism only considered to be public speaking? If so, there are many who might not be capable of this.

We all need to do the best with what we've got - the gifts we have. As we grow in Christ- I am sure He will lead us to do what we are supposed to do.

In my lifetime, I don't know how many non-christians I will explain the gospel to. I do know that I have a heart to explain the true-full gospel to "christians"- to challenge them to live up to the name of Christian. To wake them up from their sleep.

If I had the opportunity to talk to non christians about my faith- then I take the opportunity. But I feel my calling is to the exhisting church. We all have different callings and gifts which gives us a heart or passion instinctively for certain things.

-in Him, chanin

2004/5/27 10:45Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Yes, a concurring thought that has been foremost in mind of late and with complete honesty I am a bit perplexed as to what the Lord would have [b]me[/b] do.

I can't but help being drawn back to what transpired at Pentecost, the sharp, distinct transformation of the disciples and especially of Peter who had only weeks before denied his Lord.

A message that I have been listening to once again is; [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3644]Martyrdom[/url] From Art Katz.
Though this doesn't pertain exactly to 'evangelism' there is much that does lend itself to being living examples and specifically an emphasis on one telling word; [b]Full[/b]

Full of the Spirit.
The example being primarily centered around Stephen in Acts 6 and 7.

Act 6:5 [i]"...So they chose Stephen, a man [b]full[/b] of faith and the Holy Spirit..."[/i]

Act 6:10 [i] "But they couldn't resist the wisdom and the Spirit by which he kept speaking."[/i]

Act 6:15 [i]"Then all who were seated in the Council glared at him and saw that his face was like the face of an angel." [/i]

Have always been fascinated by Stephen, by his character. Humble enough to be the equivalent of a 'bus boy', [b]full[/b] of the Holy Spirit he goes on to give a masterful defense of the Christian faith along with a tongue lashing at the end (verse 51 and following). Then to top it all off and note again the emphasis of verse 55 "Act 7:55 [i]" But he, [b]being full of the Holy Ghost[/b], looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God"[/i] as he is being taken down under a hail of stones still says [i]"Lord, lay not this sin to their charge."[/i]

Another word that is predominate is: [b]Unction[/b] (thanks Robert for bring that back to my recollection)

Hopefully you can see where I am going with all this. But as it pertains to me personally all I can say is it seems that I am 'waiting', still...
Still dying to self (Praise God!)
Less of 'me'.."He must increase, I must decrease"

I had to pause to try and get my thoughts together, went to prayer and this came to mind;

Mat 7:22 [i]"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never [b]knew you[/b]: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."[/i]

I don't want to try and make this say what it is not saying out of context, but isn't there something key here? As I have alluded to before I hate 'sales' as something you 'do' because you 'should' or it's your 'job'. In the past even as a heathen found myself forced into this type of position and you might have as well written LIAR across my forehead, had to be the worlds worst salesman, just didn't have it in me to try and convince people to buy something. It was just phony, forced, dishonest...just couldn't do it.
Sorry to be redundant again, but after going through the "Becoming a Contagious Christian class" it felt exactly the same, for [b]me[/b]. I don't want to knock it or any other similar...like what Ray Comfort is doing for instance.

I guess part of what I am trying to get at is this recurring thought of what seems to be hovering over much of modern day Christianity. Things are out of order.

An easy-believism has produced a very different kind of 'believer' and a whole host of disciples that just ape their leaders and produce more of the same 'kind'. What about repentance? Are we really presenting conversion or is it more 'adaption'?

Along that line is this comment from another excellent thread:[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1664&forum=42&12]Christian Perfection[/url]

Quote:
For some time I have been puzzled by a strange omission in modern Evangelicalism. Literature dealing with the issues of heart holiness has been conspicuous mainly by its absence. (Philologos)

It is very easy to tell someone [i][b]about[/b][/i] Jesus, about faith, about Christianity and it seems that it can be construed as "well, I did my part", here's a tract, stop by my church sometime and then we end up with what brother Katz coins as the "succession of Sunday services" syndrome, like some kind of garment you take on and off. To use another great quote from Leonard Ravenhill: "What happens when they get shipped up the Amazon?"

On the one hand I am truly glad that I kept my big mouth shut early on in this walk, being caught up in all kinds of false doctrine. There would have been an awful lot of backtracking to do. It took a lot of time to assimilate all this muddy teaching and even longer to unlearn it all.
I praise God that He led me back down the old paths, to some 'hard' teaching, to a lot of things that I just recoiled at, though I knew they were true.

Then that glorious day!
SermonIndex!
Oh my! I am [i][b]not[/b][/i] alone!
"Thank you Lord!" and I haven't stopped thanking Him yet. To quote Paris Reidhead "...[i]it changed it all![/i]
What I have learned here, from the messages, from you all...couldn't adequately express my gratitude. Taking stock of where I am now, looking back over the last year, shoot even the last [i]month[/i], it's quite incredible.

But how does all this pertain to this subject?
I don't know! :-P

Do I fear men? Honestly?
Nah, that's not it.
Ridicule? Scorn? Embarrassment? Being made a 'fool'?
Nah, grew up as a skinny little twerp, shy, reserved, harassed, then grew my hair long to boot...
So just what is it that keeps my mouth shut?
Mis-representation, think I fear that more than anything and the other thing is I feel compelled right now to keep my mouth shut in a way. Isn't that bizarre? It's almost like a "...my time has not yet come" and yet I can feel it just building up inside me at the same time. Don't get me wrong here, if spiritual matters come up, it does come out, boy does it come out, just hope it is not zeal without knowledge, I can ramble on (obviously!) with the best of them.

But to go actively 'evangelising'...I don't know, may not be my calling or maybe it truly is and this is what I am being prepared for.
Maybe I am just deceived.
Maybe I need to have a fire lit under my...
Maybe all this is just a covering for lack of courage? So easy to just talk here rather than face to face...
Maybe someone can see through all this and exhort me, rebuke me, challenge me. You can't offend me so let me have it!
Just want to be transparent here, time is short, many are perishing. In the mean time will keep waiting, keep praying and seeking the Lord. It doesn't matter what it is I am to be doing, just want to be about my Lords business because He is worthy!

Forgive me, this is disjointed, but consider the source :-(

... just musing out loud.

2004/5/27 11:18Profile
moreofHim

Re: evangelism

personally- and I know I will have those who differ! I believe you have to sit at Jesus' feet first- learn all you can learn to get direction from Him. We will have plenty of opportunities to do whatever the Lord asks of us. But to me, He is my priority- ministering to Him. Waiting on Him.

Someone recently shared with me this article called The Priests of the Lord.( http://www.watchman.net/articles/priests2.html ) How some are called to minister to others in the outer court and others are called to minister to the Lord in the inner court. Very eye opening. Neat how the priests in this certian temple (Ezekiel's temple I think) were to wear linen only- so as not to sweat- as in no works of the flesh) there were times when they did go to the outer courts too-but they were required to change their clothes.

Anyway, I believe you are on the right track. :)
I know many people who share the gospel via. the "FOur Spiritual Laws" and i know they are out and out hypocrites. Those who they are witnessing can se their lifestyle and their actions very plainly. Are they to believe this is ok? Are they being made into worse sinners than the person witnessing? I believe that could be the case. I wouldn't want that on my hands.

I look back at my own example a few years ago- calling myself a "christian" and my actions are an embaressment to me. I defiled the Lord's name by making it seem that some things were ok while I called myself a christian. I know what you mean there.

I would rather be wasted on the Lord and know for sure that I did not miss out then run around like a Martha and be missing Jesus. Not many are wiling to pour themselves out for the Lord and be wasted on Him alone. We have been taught in the church that it is all about "do, do, do". If we are ministering to the Lord and waiting on Him, we will certainly be able to hear Him say "get up now, time to go do this" then we come back to his feet and wait for his next direction. :)

Just my own thoughts.

In Him, chanin

2004/5/27 11:47Profile
matthew

Re:

Chanin,

There are many forms that evangelism can take. absouletly. But I never ment to give the impression that it is "public speaking." Much of what I've read and heard, says that the most effective way to evangelize is 1-to-1.

Paul says in 2 Tim 4:2, that we are to be READY to preach the word in season and out of season (those are the only two times ). :-) That "preaching" is not always done publicly.

Phillip left public ministry to go to the dessert to evangelize 1-to-1 with the Ethiopian eunic.

In fact Billy Graham has been reported to have said that public crusades will not effectivly change people, but 1-to-1 will.

for what it's worth

matthew

2004/5/27 12:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy