SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Holy Spirit.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
PosterThread
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

1 Corinthians 1:17-31 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

What is pleasing to God?

"it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe"

It pleased God. God was disposed, or well-pleased. The plan of salvation originated in His good pleasure, and was such as His wisdom approved. God chose this plan, so unlike all the plans of men.

What was His plan?

Ephesians 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Christ is the pleasing One, and only two others, Elijah and Enoch.

Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Paul was pleasing to God and called Paul to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ in you the Hope of Glory.

Galatians 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

Colossians 1:25-28 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

This is what the Holy Spirit does: John 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

This is also pleasing to God, for it is His beloved Son that accomplishes our salvation by His birth in us. This is what the Holy Spirit is for in this world:

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

This Comforter had not come in this way ever before and He would proceed from the Father and testify of Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1:16-18 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.

Hear ye Him.

If you don't hear Him by the Holy Spirit Comforter, you cannot be saved.

Hear Ye Him.

Before the Cross, Jesus Christ could not be heard in this way, taught by the Holy Spirit. Our Salvation is a complete new way of salvation.
That is The Holy Spirit in you and Christ in you the Hope of Glory.

Not possible before the Cross.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/12/3 3:28Profile
rookie

Re:

Sister Lyn wrote:

Quote:
But it is not divided between people, so that some people have the seed of Satan and some don't, and some people have the seed of the woman, and some don't. That's what is unsettling about this:

I believe Scripture teaches that we all are subjected to the influence of Satan and corruption. Yet Scripture also teaches that the Holy Spirit also gives witness to all. Thus all men are given both the knowledge of good and evil. This precept is found in Genesis 3 and 4. We all find ourselves condemned because of the evil that has corrupted us.

In speaking of the seed of Satan and the seed of the woman, if one were to look at this precept, in the same way we often do about predestination and election, we find that there is a story unfolding in every man's life. The story is similar to Cain and Abel. Each man is given the choice to believe God or to reject Him. Those who continually reject Him will continue to harden their own hearts. There comes a point in each rebellous life where God turns them over and removes the grace that was once given him. Without the knowledge of good, man is left to the ever growing influence of Satan. This growing influence of the evil one, conforms man into his image. Pride and self rule dominate this man unto his destruction.

There are other examples in Scripture, where God according to His purpose nurtures through His Holy Spirit, a man even when he is in the womb of the mother....

Jer. 1:4 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying:
5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you;
I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”

Luke 1:13 But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. 14 And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. 15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb.

Gal. 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace,

So in these examples above, we find that the Holy Spirit is given to those whom God has chosen for His specific purpose. These are they whom Paul teaches about to Timothy...

2 Timothy 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.

Whether we are vessels of gold and silver, or wood and clay, the Holy Spirit is the means by which God gives freely to all men who turn to Him...

Rom. 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

The sons of God obey the Spirit of God. The sons of Satan reject the Spirit and are conformed into the image of the evil one by his spiritual influence.

Your brother in Christ
Jeff

2007/12/3 3:29Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Phillip quoted:

Quote:
But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Proverbs 1:

20 Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
21 She cries out in the chief concourses,
At the openings of the gates in the city
She speaks her words:
22 “How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning,
And fools hate knowledge.
23 Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.

Proverbs 2:
1 My son, if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you,
2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding;
3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding,
4 If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD,
And find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly;
8 He guards the paths of justice,
And preserves the way of His saints.
9 Then you will understand righteousness and justice,
Equity and every good path.
10 When wisdom enters your heart,
And knowledge is pleasant to your soul,
11 Discretion will preserve you;
Understanding will keep you,

Proverbs 8:
30 Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman;
And I was daily His delight,
Rejoicing always before Him,
31 Rejoicing in His inhabited world,
And my delight was with the sons of men.
32 “Now therefore, listen to me, my children,
For blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Hear instruction and be wise,
And do not disdain it.
34 Blessed is the man who listens to me,
Watching daily at my gates,
Waiting at the posts of my doors.
35 For whoever finds me finds life,
And obtains favor from the LORD;

Is Christ this "wisdom" that Solomon writes about?

Your brother in Christ
Jeff

2007/12/3 3:39Profile
rookie

Re:

Sister Katy wrote:

Quote:
Jeff, your answer is here, by a New and Living Way.

We are resurrected with Christ as we speak, and it is the resurrected life of Christ in us is that is pleasing to God.

WE are called into Romans 6-8. OT Saints were not.

I was pointing to Hebrews in chapter 8 specifically...

In Hebrews 7, the author instructs us about the Priesthood of Melchizedec and then compares Christ's priesthood to the Levitical priesthood...

Here are some of the comparisons...

Hebrews 7:
Heb. 7:23 Also there were many priests, because they were prevented by death from continuing. 24 But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. 25 Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Those of the Levitical priesthood die, but Christ's priesthood is unchangeable and continues forever.

Heb. 7:26 For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens; 27 who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people’s, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

Here we find that the earthly priesthood had to offer up sacrifices continually for himself and then the flock. And of course we know that Christ offered Himself once for all...

Now the author writes this...and he says that this is the Main point....

Hebrews 8"
1 Now this is the main point of the things we are saying: We have such a High Priest, who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 a Minister of the sanctuary and of the true tabernacle which the Lord erected, and not man.

So we are told that we should consider most of all with how He ministers to us...

Then the author points to the difference between what the earthly priesthood has to offer and heavenly priesthood...

He begins with this statement...

Heb. 8:3 For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices. Therefore it is necessary that this One also have something to offer. 4 For if He were on earth, He would not be a priest, since there are priests who offer the gifts according to the law;

He continues speaking about the law given on Mount Sinai, then he writes this...

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 11 None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, “Know the LORD,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”

What does it mean for those whom God promises to "put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts;" what does it mean for those have the promise from God, "I will be their God, and they shall be My people." What law does this?

Proverbs 8:
30 Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman;
And I was daily His delight,
Rejoicing always before Him,
31 Rejoicing in His inhabited world,
And my delight was with the sons of men.
32 “Now therefore, listen to me, my children,
For blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Hear instruction and be wise,
And do not disdain it.
34 Blessed is the man who listens to me,
Watching daily at my gates,
Waiting at the posts of my doors.
35 For whoever finds me finds life,
And obtains favor from the LORD;

"For whoever finds me finds life, and obtains favor from the Lord"

Your brother in Christ
Jeff

2007/12/3 4:33Profile

Re: Holy Spirit

Jeff said

Quote:
Those who continually reject Him will continue to harden their own hearts. There comes a point in each rebellous life where God turns them over and removes the grace that was once given him.

Quote:
So in these examples above, we find that the Holy Spirit is given to those whom God has chosen for His specific purpose.

Thus Saul, when he was wasting the Church of God before the Damascus road, was under [i][b]grace?[/b][/i]

2007/12/3 13:53

Re: Holy Spirit

Hello to all readers.

I haven't listened yet to this which I found on Ron Bailey's website while looking for something else, but in the context of a previous part of this discussion, it may be a gem not to miss.

[url=http://mp3.biblebase.com/details_33.html]Hezekiah[/url]

:-D

2007/12/3 13:56

Re:

Quote:
I was pointing to Hebrews in chapter 8 specifically...

Hi Jeff,

To answer you question the best way I know how is this:

Jesus Christ is our High Priest, and we have In Christ been made a royal priesthood. As teh Chapter goes on, it is saying, you have no need that anyone need to teach you, for all will know the Lord from the smallest to the Greatest.

I'm just summerizing this chapter.

This is in reference to the fact that we believe in the ***Individual Priesthood of the Believer***. We don't need the Pope or any earthly priest or holders of doctrine to lord over us. We are a royal Priesthood and only Jesus Christ is our High Priest or Head...not the Pope, not Calvin, not Joseph Smith, not Mohammed, and so on.

Revelation say, we, those In Christ that Christ has made us Kings and Priests.

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

PS added for content;

2As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

3If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

4To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,

5Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

6Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

7Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

8And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Revelation 1:6
And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

2007/12/3 15:12
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Jeff,

Was David, Abraham, Moses, etc. born again?

If they were, when and how?

All you have written depends on man doing something to be pleasing to God. There is only one that is pleasing to God, that is Jesus Christ.

Tell me, How are we able to see the kingdom of God?

In Christ: Phillip

2007/12/3 17:03Profile
rookie

Re:

Sister Lyn asked:

Quote:
Thus Saul, when he was wasting the Church of God before the Damascus road, was under grace?

Gal. 1:13 For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it. 14 And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.

Gal. 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace,

1Tim. 1:12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, 13 although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

Acts 22:12 “Then a certain Ananias, a devout man according to the law, having a good testimony with all the Jews who dwelt there, 13 came to me; and he stood and said to me, “Brother Saul, receive your sight.’ And at that same hour I looked up at him. 14 Then he said, “The God of our fathers has chosen you that you should know His will, and see the Just One, and hear the voice of His mouth. 15 For you will be His witness to all men of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.’

The reason Paul persecuted the Way was due as he witnessed...

"did it ignorantly in unbelief."

Paul lived for God his entire life, Jesus counted him faithful and put him into ministry.

There was a time in Jeremiah's life before God spoke to him...

There was a time in Ezekiel's life before God spoke to him...

There was a time in Abraham's life before God spoke to him...

All these men according to Scripture were chosen for a specific purpose...Paul was given the ministry to the Gentiles.

Paul writes this of the OT saints...

Romans 11:
4 But what does the divine response say to him? “I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” 5 Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.

The remnant of God lived by grace through faith in all generations.

Your brother in Christ
Jeff

Your brother in Christ
Jeff

2007/12/4 5:48Profile
rookie

Re:

Sister Katy wrote:

Quote:
Jesus Christ is our High Priest, and we have In Christ been made a royal priesthood. As teh Chapter goes on, it is saying, you have no need that anyone need to teach you, for all will know the Lord from the smallest to the Greatest.

Yes this is the most important fact...

When Solomon wrote in Proverbs about this promise...

Proverbs 1:

23 Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.

In light of Psalm 119, in light of the NT, what do you think God teaches men by His Spirit when they repent? What kind of thoughts does God share with men when He speaks to them?

ps...

Quote:
7Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

8And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

Psalm 118
14 The LORD is my strength and song,
And He has become my salvation.
15 The voice of rejoicing and salvation
Is in the tents of the righteous;
The right hand of the LORD does valiantly.
16 The right hand of the LORD is exalted;
The right hand of the LORD does valiantly.
17 I shall not die, but live,
And declare the works of the LORD.
18 The LORD has chastened me severely,
But He has not given me over to death.
19 Open to me the gates of righteousness;
I will go through them,
And I will praise the LORD.
20 This is the gate of the LORD,
Through which the righteous shall enter.
21 I will praise You,
For You have answered me,
And have become my salvation.
22 The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.

I wonder how many builders of the temple reject Christ?

Your brother in Christ
Jeff

2007/12/4 6:01Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy