SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Born of water

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

Wow. ok. sure. I can see that. I don't think that's what Jesus is saying...too much inference and speculation. But I can't necessarily argue b/c it is completely in line with the rest of scripture. At least from what I gather, you are saying that the new birth, the circumcision of the heart, the cleansing of our hearts by faith is what is necessary for salvation. Baptism in water is the "picture" of this, just like circumcision of the flesh.

But you are not saying that the physical act of baptism fulfills some sort of prerequisite to justification, correct? Because you seem to keep agreeing with Blazed, who DOES believe that.

2007/10/18 22:55Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
BeYeDoers wrote:
Wow. ok. sure. I can see that. I don't think that's what Jesus is saying...too much inference and speculation. But I can't necessarily argue b/c it is completely in line with the rest of scripture. At least from what I gather, you are saying that the new birth, the circumcision of the heart, the cleansing of our hearts by faith is what is necessary for salvation. Baptism in water is the "picture" of this, just like circumcision of the flesh.

But you are not saying that the physical act of baptism fulfills some sort of prerequisite to justification, correct? Because you seem to keep agreeing with Blazed, who DOES believe that.

[b][size=xx-large]AMEN![/size][/b]

2007/10/19 12:01Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Quote:

BeYeDoers wrote:

Not simply the act of baptism in water-but the act of baptism in water [b]IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS[/b]

*Acts 2:38 & Acts 4:12

It is the name of Jesus attached to the baptismal canidate that makes this such a supernatural process of operation by God adhering to God through Christ's commandment given to the Apostles in the Great Commission

2007/10/19 13:43Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I think the horse is dead...

2007/10/19 13:51Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
BlazedbyGod wrote:

Not simply the act of baptism in water-but the act of baptism in water [b]IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS[/b]

*Acts 2:38 & Acts 4:12

It is the name of Jesus attached to the baptismal canidate that makes this such a supernatural process of operation by God adhering to God through Christ's commandment given to the Apostles in the Great Commission

The exact wording does not matter, it is not what one says, but the intent of the baptism that counts.
[b]Col 3:17[/b] [color=990000]And whatsoever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father by him.[/color]
Otherwise, you must say, "the name of the Lord Jesus" with every thing you do.
Anyway, God knows that one is being baptised in HIS name for the purpose of remission of sins without saying those particulare words.

[b]Act 8:38[/b] [color=990000]And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.[/color]

Does not say that Philip baptized him "IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS", it just says that he baptized him.

2007/10/19 14:03Profile

Re:

Quote:

Becuase it hasn't undergone the proper religous ceremony to revive it yet...

2007/10/19 14:07
Logic

Re:

Quote:
jimdied2sin wrote:
Quote:

Becuase it hasn't undergone the proper religous ceremony to revive it yet...

Maybe some one wants to keep it for the glue.

Or the hooves for some yummy jello. :-P

2007/10/19 14:12Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Quote:
"Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Does not say that Philip baptized him "IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS", it just says that he baptized him.

This is because it already told what name Philp baptized in.
Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST, THEY WERE BAPTIZED, both men and women.

Also if you scroll down 4 verses, you will see:
Acts 8:16 For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

The name of Jesus is the only name that can remit sin. As long as it is the name of Jesus that is called, whether it be " Lord Jesus", or "Jesus Christ" or simply " Jesus" -it is JESUS that matters.

When Paul asked Jesus who he was: This was the Lord's reply:

Acts 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said: [color=CC0000]I AM JESUS..."[/color]

*Matt 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. (Doesn't say Lord Jesus, Christ Jesus, just JESUS)

This was and has been the same principle all over the New Testament.

Water baptism is to be done in the name of Jesus-just like praying.

"And whatsoever ye ask in MY NAME.."

Well, what is his name?

*I was not signifying that the " remission of sins" part must be said, I was signifying the name of Jesus in some form MUST be said.

2007/10/19 14:14Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

You see, one of the things I don't understand about this forum, is that people come in and argue about issues that theologians have been argueing about for 2000 years and expect to come to a conclusion, or some resolution... but really all it does is further the divisions between us.

If 2000 years hasn't resolved an issue of doctrine, a couple days of forum posts isn't going to do it.

Let's learn to agree about the things that we can agree on and disagree about the things that we disagree on, and continue to be brothers in Christ.

2007/10/19 14:15Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

2007/10/19 14:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy