SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Which book do you recommend me to read in this list?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Which book do you recommend me to read in this list?

Dear brothers and sisters!

This year every student is supposed to give a class with a theme you can choose yourself. So one is allowed to do a biblestudy with classmates or to have a discussion, to share your own heart, or to teach something which you find important with faith, etc. The only requirement is that you have to read a book.

Now we got a list with books and since I'm not familiar with every author I was wondering if you guys can pick out some good ones authors.

- Watchman Nee
- John White
- J. Bridges
- J.C. Ryle
- Richard J.Beckmen
- D.A. Carson
- O. Hallesby
- Andrew Murray
- Elisabeth Alves
- Michael Kimuli
- A Hamman
- Alexandre Westphal
- M. Basil Pennington
- Gustave Reiniger
- Juston Cornwall
- Jack Taylor
- Bill Hybels
- Alistair McGrath
- Ed Murphy
- Henri Nouwen
- R.A. Torrey
- Philip Yancey
- J. Bridges
- L. Payne
- B. Seamands
- B. Manning
- J.I. Packer

Now I know that Andrew Murray and Watchman Nee is good, somewhere vaguely I remember John White possibly be a good author. R.A. Torrey rings a vague bell.. Bill Hybels and J.I. Packer are going to be dropped from the list for sure, but I just put them on the list for completeness sake. :-)

2007/9/15 9:24Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Which book do you recommend me to read in this list?

Quote:
Now I know that [b]Andrew Murray[/b] and [b]Watchman Nee[/b] is good, somewhere vaguely I remember John White possibly be a good author. [b]R.A. Torrey[/b] rings a vague bell.. Bill Hybels and J.I. Packer are going to be dropped from the list for sure, but I just put them on the list for completeness sake.

You can add J.C. Ryle, I have hardly heard of others, but having Nee and Murray here is more than enough for start, your soul will have a great spiritual profit reading them.

2007/9/15 9:28Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Eventually I'll choose a book written by either Watchman Nee, Andrew Murray, R.A. Torrey or J.C. Ryle. Unless someone finds another author good.

I still have to decide what I want to share with my classmates. Good I have some months to get into the book and scripture!

Tnx for your reply! :-)

2007/9/15 11:59Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee is one of the finest and most practical books on Christian living ever written.

2007/9/15 14:18Profile
frazier72

AW TOZER- PURSUIT OF GOD, GOD'S PURSUIT OF MAN, KNOWLEDGE OF THE HOLY, GOD TELLS THE MAN WHO CARES, THE COUNSULOR, THE RADICAL CROSS....TO MANY OTHERS.

ANDREW MURRAY-HUMILTY, BLESSINGS AND COVENANTS, THE TRUE VINE, IN THE SCHOOL OF PRAYER, LIFE OF OBEDIENCE, ABSOLUTE SURRENDER

LEONARD RAVENHILL-WHY REVIVAL TARRIES, REVIVAL GOD'S WAY.

GEORGE MUELLER-RELEASE THE POWER OF PRAYER.

THE DAIRY OF DAVID BRAINARD.

JOHN WESLEY'S THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.

BROTHER LAWRENCE IS GOOD, AS WELL AS HUDSON TAYLOR.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

2007/9/24 7:31Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Holiness

Author: J.C. Ryle

Description:(taken from publisher, but I agree)
John Charles Ryle’s best-known works have been reissued and widely read over many years. The fine qualities of his writings have ensured that his books are still popular and useful. This present volume has become a classic work and is known and loved by many throughout the world.

In days when evangelical preachers are accused of being either superficial or dull, we have here a great example from one who was neither of these things. As Bishop Ryle explains and applies his texts with his customary simplicity and directness, the reader will find his conscience pricked and his soul examined. Ryle’s Holiness has become essential reading on this most important subject and the first chapter on ‘sin’ has rarely been bettered.

Ryle was appointed as the first Bishop of Liverpool in 1880 and was the leader of the Evangelical Party in the Church of England for more than half a century. He is highly regarded for his plain and lively writings on practical and spiritual themes, and their usefulness and impact have been consistently recognized and remain as wise and relevant today as when he first wrote them.

2007/9/24 7:48Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

J.C. Ryle is very good, his Exposititory Thoughts on the New Testament is very readable.

J.I. Packer's 'Knowing God' is a very good introduction to reformed theology. The chapters on Propitiation and Adoption are some of teh best things I've ever read.

Andrew Murray is a great writer, his books on Humility and the Holy Spirit are very delightful.

Watchman Nee's Normal Christianity is a wonderful book.

Alistair McGrath is a good friend of Ravi Zacharias, I've not read anything by him, however I did hear a lecture online that he gave in response to Dawkins' God Delusion. I think if you're interested in modern apologetics he'd be a fun read. He's a science professor at Oxford, a very bright man, and he loves Jesus.

2007/9/24 9:57Profile
Burn4Christ

I would go with watchman nee. I like him alot.

2007/9/24 10:09Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Watchman Nee - The Normal Christian Life

&

Andrew Murray - Humility

are my favorites - anything by Watchman Nee or Andrew Murray would be very good!!!

Patrick
www.reivalarmy.com

2007/9/24 14:12Profile

Re:

Oh - this is a tough one. So many good guys available. Very tough. All above are good. But if I had to choose - I'd say start with Nee's book entitled, "Spiritual Reality or Obsession" and then move on to -

http://www.freewebs.com/ratorrey/

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Torrey%2C%20R.%20A.%20(Reuben%20Archer)%2C%201856-1928

I think the combo keeps one foot in Heavenly Places and the other on earth, where it's needed.
All The Best Brother.

2007/9/24 14:12

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy