SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Marriage, Divorce, and ReMarriage.. Toward a Biblical Perspective

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
PosterThread
bigdaveusa

Marriage, Divorce, and ReMarriage.. Toward a Biblical Perspective

l

2004/5/12 12:52Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Marriage, Divorce, and ReMarriage.. Toward a Biblical Perspective

Hi bigdaveusa
What do you have in mind? In my posting on the other forum I tried to open out the whole question of marriage and divorce and I think some others tried to address more your unique situation. It is always difficult with e-mails to decide how completely a subject should be tackled; the dangers are 'too deep' or 'too superficial'. This topic has taken whole books in the past and it seems your choices (as regards posting) are snap decisions or long explanations. I began one of the latter but it is heavy going for a forum.

I would like to hear some biblically justified definitions of 'marriage' from folks on this site. As I said in the forum, this is where the trail starts. When we have defined 'marriage' we can define 'divorce' and then examine 're-marriage'.

2004/5/12 14:37Profile
bigdaveusa

Re:

Ron,
I agree with your assessment of the posts on the other thread. I would like to go in depth and hear all of the arguments from all perpectives. I printed out your last post on the other thread and am perusing it. I think that this is a worthy topic to rehash with deliberation. So......I do have to agree with what I saw Matthew and Keith post. I tend to take the narrow view and am more than willing to err on the side of caution, not wanting to offend God. That's is where I am at, but I would like to see some scholarly debate about the topic. Thanks.

2004/5/12 15:11Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Quote:
... but I would like to see some scholarly debate about the topic. Thanks.

"Scholary debate" huh? Would that exclude me? I don't have a degree or anything. Actually, I'm a little lost here. What other thread are you guys talking about? What exactly is the question concerning marriage, divorce and remarriage?

A definition of marriage was requested. Well, what about the one given from the very beginning of time - Genesis 2:24?

"Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh."

When religious leaders asked questions about marriage in the New Testament, wasn't this verse referred to? I think it may have even been when they were asking about the grounds of divorce and the law of Moses.

Then there's those famous verses in Ephesians that every husband and wife loves - Ephesians 5:21-33. Hey, what do you know! Paul quotes Genesis 2:24 in those verses. That must be a pretty good definition of marriage then. And like Ephesians 5 says, Christ's love for the church is a pretty good definition for human marriage relationships.

That's all I have for now.

2004/5/12 17:46Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Yodi
Here's The Other Thread that you asked about, and I don't have a degree either so you will be in good company.

2004/5/12 18:00Profile
bigdaveusa

Re:

ID

2004/5/12 18:42Profile
christopher

Re: Marriage, Divorce, and ReMarriage.. Toward a Biblical Perspective

If your marriage was a covenant relationship, then don't remarry...(Having put your hand to the plow).......if however you entered foolishly into a marriage and it meant nothing, then you are not under a covenant..........only you can decide whether you were in covenant.........that's it for now, but if you need further counsel e-mail [email protected]

2004/5/12 20:24Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Christopher
you write only you can decide whether you were in covenant.

I think this is a mistaken point of view. A covemant is a binding agreement between at least two parties. It is not a matter of personal decision or opinion. How does a covenant stand when one party decides it never existed but the other party decides it did?

I am all for 'covenant' but I think you will be hard pressed to illustrate your point from the scriptures. Let your 'yea be yea' is a statement signifying that every sentance I speak has all the power of an 'oath' in it. I don't know about the US and Canada but in the UK a civil marriage is a 'covenant' making function. In law it is regarded as a solemn agreement and instantly changes laws of inheritance due to changes in next-of-kin. It doesn't matter how frivolously it was entered into it is still a life changing 'covenant'.

2004/5/13 8:38Profile
matthew

Re:

I am greatly concerned by Christopher's poast. The one verse he alluded to is a clear refference not to mairage, but to those who sought to follow after Christ as desciples.

I am sorry that I can provide no more at the present time than I did on the other thread.

Just that we must always judge our feelings and thoughts and desires by the BIBLE!

THE BIBLE THE BIBLE THE BIBLE THE BIBLE!!!!!

we must start and end there

2004/5/13 9:17Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

I would like to hear some biblically justified definitions of 'marriage' from folks on this site. As I said in the forum, this is where the trail starts. When we have defined 'marriage' we can define 'divorce' and then examine 're-marriage'.

I'll make a start on marriage by asking a question :-D , what is the difference in Genesis between a "woman" and a "wife"? the hebrew word is the same yet woman is used like "the woman" and wife is used like "his wife".

How were people "married" back then?

2004/5/13 9:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy