SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "Do you sin?"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread

Re:

Nile... just when I think I understand your points... you confuse me yet again.

I have to go back to what I said yesterday, you really dont have a good grip on salvation. I dont stop being my kids father when they disobey me, and neither does God.

[b]Heb 13:5[/b] [i]Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for [b]he[/b] hath said, I will [b]never[/b] leave thee, nor forsake thee.[/i]

[b]Rom 8:38-39[/b] [i]For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, [b]shall be able to separate us[/b] from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.[/i]

Hermeneutics, Nile... you need to learn some. You're taking passages and not interpreting them in light of scripture as a whole. You need to weigh these passages your quoting with the [b]whole[/b] councel of God... and you're not, which is why you're in error.

Krispy

2007/8/31 7:08
Rahman

My Own Testimony with Sin ...

The thread asks: Do You Sin? ...

if i don't, then i'm doing an awful lot of repenting for nothing ...

Of course i don't do the BIG sins most of us see as totally taboo, but i still got my share of what might be conciderd little ones, those little leavining ones that if not also held captive, can still spoil the lump ...

An example, in my BC days i was a champion "cusser", filthy mouthed, spouting expletives like poetry ... i don't do that (overtly) anymore, but within my mind (covertly) i (still) really have to hold every thought captive ... i can be driving, praying to and praising God as i go, and another driver will make a dumb move and before i know it a curse will want to come out of my mouth, i choke it, but think it instead - so i instantly do a 1 John 1:9 ... These incidents are fewer and further apart as i walk with God, but they're no completely gone ... So i'm very well aware of the following scripture ...

[b]Jas.3[/b]
[6] And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
[8] But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
[9] Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
[10] Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Then there's (to every man) Christ's convicting words of ...

[b]Matt.5[/b]
[28] But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

... and for the unmarried i think you can put "fornication" in place of "adultery" ... Any man, saved or unsaved, who tells me they NEVER have a lustful thought in this vein i'll believe to be either a straight up liar, or strictly homosexual (which has it own set of convicting scripture) ... i'm 57 years old (with lechery amongst my family curse), been saved 27 years, and while my lust quotient has much diminished (Thank You Jesus!!!) every once in a while - STILL - out of the corner of my eye - WHAM! - and i'm at 1 John 1:9 - AGAIN!

[b]1John.1[/b]
[8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
[9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
[10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

In [b]Gen.4:6[/b] God told Cain, "sin crouches at the door" ... and it still does ... To believe that one does not sin STILL, even after salvation, is one of those "imaginations" that need to be cast down as the following scripture suggests ...

[b]2Cor.10[/b]
[5] Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

If we do not STILL have to battle sin, then why are we in need of Ephesians armour, particularly the breastplate of righteousness? ...

i also believe one of the greatest hinderances to REVIVAL is our blase' attitudes towards repentance because we don't see that we're still (saved) sinners yet prone to sinning ...

For what it's worth this is my two cents on the matter ...

Blessings in our High Priest in heaven who understands our every infirmity, He who has saved us to salvation, and further equiped us to "repent of every unrighteousness' as we go along! ...

Bless Your holy name Lord Jesus! ... :-D

2007/8/31 9:51Profile
YET

Re: My Own Testimony with Sin ...

First Post,
If it is in the right thread-Do You Sin?
I quickly read the line of thought.
Did not see any reference to 1 Corinthians 5. especially verse 5. "To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."
I've never heard this taught on Re. Loosing your salvation everytime you sin--but I think the truth fits.

It appears you could loose your health and even life and yet not your salvation.
I.e. a sinning person is turned over to Satan (who destroys his flesh) repentence after death seems unlikely and if his spirit is yet saved in the day of the Lord Jesus, loosing salvation everytime we sin doesn't fit.
What do you think?

2007/8/31 10:13Profile
moreofHim

Re: sin?

A few years ago I thought one could live a perfect sinless life- that was when the Lord first exposed my many outward sins (and some inward ones as well) but as I have matured in Christ He has shown me how sinful and very deceitful our hearts can be and we have no idea.

What I am refering to is not necessarily 'acts' of sin- as most people think of sin-- but what of sinful attitudes and dispositions?

Things like foolishness, rationalizing, self-deception, procrastination, worry, grumbling...

At one time I thought I lived a completely surrendered life. But the Lord burst my bubble when I discovered with time that there were things I had yet to surrender and I had no idea that I wasn't really surrendered in that area. But he slowly would show me my control, my idolatry in some area. Idolatry is still idolatry -whether we know we are doing it or not. If this is true, then all of us are sinning in some area and we don't even know what it is--until the Lord reveals it.

Again, at one point after the Lord showed me the many idols I had in my life a few years ago, I thought i had repented and was free from all idols -I was- from the ones I 'knew' about. But in time, the Lord reveals more and more that needs to go- and just because we didn't know about them doesn't mean they aren't sin. But thankfully He knows we are not yet perfect and He is compassionate and patient with us.

We all live a life of sin- because many of the 'sins' we commit (or ommit) we don't even recognize at the time.I do believe that if we know we are in sin- yes, we should repent and not do that anymore. We should not live in continual purposeful sin or premeditated sin.

Like someone mentioned sins can be committed or sins of ommission. Maybe we aren't doing something that we are supposed to be doing, maybe we are procrastinating about something- whatever the case may be- we are still sinning. I really doubt that anyone here is going to say they are free from all sins of commission, ommission, attitudes and dipositions. Can anyone here say that they act lovingly toward every single person in their life 100% of the time, every minute, every hour? Does no one here procrastinate(waste God's precious time)? Does anyone here have complete patience with everything and everyone every hour and minute of the day? Does anyone here innwardly grumble or complain? Does anyone have a rebellious thought, are you defensive, compulsive, using your tongue to tear down or gossip? Do you ever fear others? (fear of man) These are all sins.

We are all prone to wander. We all sin and have no idea what is in our hearts really - until the Lord reveals it and it is usually an area of pride. We think we are so 'good', so sinless. I know I believed that about myself at one time. O, how little i knew of my real heart! How I had sins that were hidden- not necessarily 'pet' sins.

Everyday I can look back upon my day and identify ways I have sinned. EVERY day. I wasted time on the computer instead of cleaning my kitchen, I thought an angry thought about my neighbor who's trash continually ends up on our lawn (it was just a quick thought and then I let it go, but still a sin), I spoke too harshly with my 8 yr old daughter because she would not pick up her things as quickly as 'I' would like to see it done (we are in a hurry of course), I worried about my weight and how I might appear to others (vanity) and even thought of staying home from a meeting because I thought i looked fat. I remember grumbling before my husband got home for dinner because i knew how hard it would be to fix dinner with the kids around and I was already tired. Must I continue????????

Many of these sins were in my thoughts and noone would have known about them- but still they are sins. Thankfully, most of the time, I can cast the thoughts aside and repent and choose to think biblical thoughts. But I am sure that I don't always do that.

At any of these moments of sin, if I had died, would I go to hell? If so, I would be in fear all day everyday.

One thing I have learned this past year is the clearer meaning of idolatry. If, for instance we feel there is something we must have, even if it is a situation not a thing- 'I must have his love", I must have quiet right now, I must have 'my' sleep right now, I must have her acceptance, I must have control in this situation, I must have my way because her way is wrong- those are all idols. And when we have those thoughts, we are committing idolatry.

I will be the first to admit, as perfectionist as I am, I am not perfect and have finally come to the realization that God does not expect me to be perfect at this moment either. When I lived with the notion that I must live a sinless perfect life, I did not have much peace. I was always striving, striving to be good enough for God. If I could just be a little 'better' then He would love me even more. If I could just reach that point of perfection, He would never cast me away into hell. It is not a peaceful way to live. There is not much joy in that except when you are being 'good' or perfect for the moment.

I know many may quote the verse about being perfect as He is perfect, but i believe that the word 'perfect' is translated as 'mature', not perfect. Someone may clarify that if they may.

Now all I can say is that when I look to the cross, I am never more thankful and more grateful. Because of that cross, even with my mistakes I can be washed clean and I can know that I will see Him face to face one day. Everyday I ask the Lord to be merciful to me, a sinner. and eveyday He is. He shows me where I am lacking or sinning so I can repent and grow and change. But there is always more to go and thankfully He is patient with me.

In His love, Chanin

2007/8/31 11:39Profile
Lkid

Re:

thank you for that honest and true post
God bless!

2007/8/31 12:18Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
Nile wrote:
Quote:
As for those secret faults that are mentioned in Psalm 19:12, I doubt that a christian "ceases to live unto the Father, or ceases to live in Christ, or ceases to live by the Spirit" in those secret faults.

Ah, I see...so what again are these non-deadly, non-God-offending, non-Spirit-grieving sins that do not make one guilty of breaking the whole law, thus being worthy of death?

It's an honest question, I'd like to know what you consider these sins to be and why.

Yes, all sinns are deadly, God-offending, Spirit-grieving and do make one guilty of breaking the whole law, thus being worthy of death.

However, they do not kill the relationship with Christ enough to loose salvation.
Hoever, Take into concideration this:
[b]Romans 4:8[/b] [color=990000]Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.[/color]

2007/8/31 14:09Profile

Re:

Quote:
Yes, all sinns are deadly, God-offending, Spirit-grieving and do make one guilty of breaking the whole law, thus being worthy of death.

1 John 5:16 If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that. 17All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

2007/8/31 14:32

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy