SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How to know the will of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

This is why Pentecost, the baptism of Jesus Christ, is needed in the life of the one desiring to serve God. The Lord said: "Don't leave Jerusalem without it". ... it is the "unction to function".

Read the accounts of those who finally understood its full significance, in the book of Acts.

2007/8/23 7:01
gtenigma

MD

Re: How to know the will of God

Dear friends, this is something I composed a few months ago with the help of a dear friend of mine. May God bless you.
---------------------------------------------

What Is The Will Of God For My Life?
Christians and non-Christians ponder about this one question, What is the will of God for my life ? Think about this for a moment, is this not the most important question in our life? For many Christians, this question is the most confusing and frustrating part of their Christian life. For many years, I myself have struggles with this question. Some questions such as committing adultery, murder, getting drunk, doing drugs; it is quiet clear the will of God for these obvious issues, we know that God's will is not to get involved in such sinful behavior. But what about other everyday issues such as where we to work, who we should marry, what kind of clothing to wear, what to eat or drink, is it ok to smoke, etc? It is these questions we get so confused and stressed in our lives and we have a hard time knowing God's will for these everyday issues.
My goal is to study God's word to answer this one important question What Is The Will Of God For My Life? . Please don't take what I write here for granted but so study the Scriptures yourself along with the verses I give here. I would like to give credit to John MacArthur who was the instrument God used help me with this study. With all this said, let us get started

In Psalm 143:10 David is crying out to God asking God to teach him to do God's will (Psa 143:10 Teach me to do Your will; for You are my God; .....). Here David was not praying, Lord I need to know your will but he was praying, Lord teach me to do Your will . The means that David already know what God's will was, he just needed the power to do it. This shows that doing God's will is a matter of obedience and needed to be empowered by God to do it. Listen to what Jesus said
Luke 22:42 Yet not My will, but Yours be done,
John 4:34 ..My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to finish His work,
John 5:30 ...because I do not seek My own will, but the will of the Father who has sent Me,
John 6:38 For I came down from Heaven, not to do My own will but the will of Him who sent Me and when the disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray, in the Lord's prayer He prayed Matthew 6:10 ...Your will be done.

It is clear that Jesus was only focused in doing His Father's will.

Let us also look at what the disciples wrote.
Act 21:14 And he not being persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.
Rom 1:10 always in my prayers, making request if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come to you.
Rom 15:32 so that I may come to you with joy by the will of God, and may be refreshed with you.
1Pe 4:2 in order no longer to live in the lusts of men, but in the will of God the remaining time in the flesh.
Col 4:12 Epaphras greets you, he being of you, a servant of Christ, always laboring fervently for you in prayers, that you may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.

All these verses in the Scripture clearly shows that God wants His children to live according to His will.
The scripture talks about two kinds of will of God . The sovereign will of God and God's will for our personal lives.

Sovereign will of God

Psa 135:6 Every thing Jehovah pleased, He did in the heavens and in earth, and in the seas and all deep places.
Isa 46:9 Remember former things from forever; for I am God, and no other is God, even none like Me, Isa 46:10 declaring the end from the beginning, and from the past things which were not done, saying, My purpose shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure;
Psa 33:10 Jehovah brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; He breaks the plots of the people. Psa 33:11 The counsel of Jehovah stands forever, the thoughts of His heart to all generations.
Dan 4:34-35 ........And all the people of the earth are counted as nothing; and He does according to His will in the army of heaven, and among the people of the earth. And none can strike His hand, or say to Him, What are You doing?
Eph 1:11 in whom also we have been chosen to an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His own will,
This shows that there is a will of God which God Himself will finish perfectly. No person can never change God’s eternal purpose, if God said He will do and finish it, you can be absolutely certain that He will do and finish it. No person can every change it in any way. It is executed by His power. This shows God controls absolutely everything from beginning to end.

God's will on human level

But on the human level, God has a will for us. God revealed this in His holy law. Whether we do God's will or not, this has no effect at all in altering God’s sovereign will. God gave each of us the freedom to do or not to do God's will. Each of us have a choice to follow it or reject it and no matter what we do, God will perfectly align everything to His Glory.
If we obey or do not obey, it will not alter God’s sovereign plan in any way but everything we do, it will have a direct benefit on us personally for the present time and for eternity.
So, back to out all important question. How can I know God's will for me? To answer this question, we should not rely on own intuition or judgment to learn God’s will. We know that God has a will for us and He holds us responsible to do it. Since God holds us responsible to do His will, we can be certain that it is not mysterious, hidden or complicated. The most reliable and obvious place is His word (Bible) and it is absolutely and clearly stated there. So let us turn our attention to His Word to see what God tells us regarding His will for us.

There are 6 things the scripture talks about regarding the will of God for our lives.

1. Saved (1 Timothy 2:3-4; 2 Peter 3:9)
1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 1Ti 2:4 who will have all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slow concerning His promise, as some count slowness, but is long-suffering toward us, not purposing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
It is quiet clear that first will of God for us is that we be saved and become His children. If you are not saved, God's will for you is to be saved. So if someone comes to you and wants to learn the will of God regarding his marriage, the first question we should be asking is, are you saved? Is Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior? If that person is not saved, then we need to direct that person to Christ first and foremost.

2. Spirit-filled (Controlled by God’s Spirit): Ephesians 5:17-121
Eph 5:17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Eph 5:18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is excess, but be filled with the Spirit, Eph 5:19 speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Eph 5:20 always giving thanks for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, Eph 5:21 submitting yourselves to one another in the fear of God.

This verse teaches us some very important principles. First it say that if we don’t understand the will of God, we are unwise or foolish. Let us look at what it means to be Spirit-filled. Many people define being filled with the Holy Spirit in many different ways. Many people are confused about what it means to be filled with the Spirit. The best way to answer this question is to let the Bible answer it for us rather than using our own wisdom and understanding. Why did this verse say do not be drunk with wine? Because when we are drunk, we get controlled by it. Filled in Greek means, being controlled. Let us look at a few example in the Scripture to define what it means to be filled with the Spirit.

Joh 16:6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart.
Luk 4:28 And hearing these things, all in the synagogue were filled with wrath.
Luk 5:26 And they were all amazed, and they glorified God and were filled with fear, saying, We saw wonderful things today.
Luk 6:11 And they were filled with madness, and talked with one another as to what they might do to Jesus.

Do you see how the Bible define its own questions. It is very clear from all these verses that being filled means to be controlled. A person can be controlled by sadness, anger, fear, wine and even the Holy Spirit. Let me give you an example. When we get angry, we are so controlled by anger that we cannot think or act straight. This anger takes over and we become totally out of control, we become controlled and dominated by it. This is what it means to be filled.
Since we defined being filled by the Spirit, then the next obvious question is, How do we get filled or controlled the Holy Spirit?

Before you read any further, please take some time to read the verses from Ephesians and Colossians below.
Let us look at Eph chapter 5 & 6 to answer this question. These verses says that if we are filled by the Spirit, then the result will be speaking to yourself in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, giving thanks to the lord, wives submitting to husband, husband loving wives as Christ loved the Church, children obeying their parents, slaves obeying their masters. Look what it says below in Colossians chapter 3. It says that if we have the Word of Christ, then the result will be the same as being filled by the Spirit. Paul is saying that if we are filled with the Spirit or if the Word of Christ dwells in us , the result will be the same thing.
This tells us that to be filled with the Spirit , we need to have the Word of Christ dwell in us. The Word of Christ and the Word of God is the same thing which is the Bible.

Eph 5:18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is excess, but be filled with the Spirit,
Eph 5:19 speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Eph 5:20 always giving thanks for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Eph 5:21 submitting yourselves to one another in the fear of God.
Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for it,
Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
Eph 6:4 And fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
Eph 6:5 Slaves, obey your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as to Christ;

Col 3:16 Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Col 3:17 And everything, whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.
Col 3:18 Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as is becoming in the Lord.
Col 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and do not be bitter against them.
Col 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord.
Col 3:21 Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they be discouraged.
Col 3:22 Slaves, obey your masters according to the flesh in all things; not with eye-service, as men-pleasers, but in singleness of heart, fearing God.
Col 3:23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men;

There is noting mystical about being filled by the Spirit. What does it mean to be controlled by the Spirit, it means that our lives should be controlled or dominated by the Word/Bible. We cannot separate the Word and the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Author , Interpreter, Applier & enabler of the Bible. What this means is the Holy Spirit controls us when we are dominated by the Word. When the Word/Bible takes hold of out mind, will and emotion, we become totally filled by the Spirit. This is God's will for you and me.

3. Sanctified (separated from sin) (1 Thessalonians 4:3-8)
1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification, for you to abstain from fornication,
1Th 4:4 each one of you to know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honor
1Th 4:5 (not in the passion of lust, even as the nations who do not know God),
1Th 4:6 not to go beyond and defraud his brother in this matter (because the Lord is the avenger concerning all these, as we also have forewarned you and testified).
1Th 4:7 For God has not called us to uncleanness, but in sanctification.
1Th 4:8 Therefore he who despises does not despise man, but God, who also has given us His Holy Spirit.
There is 4 things which will sanctify us.
1. Abstain from sexual sin. If we are knowingly are sinning, then we are already out of the will of God. If we commit sexual sin, then we need to back up, repent and get back in the will of God. For example, if 2 people are sinning sexually, then it is certain that God is not in or will bless their marriage. It is not God’s will for those 2 people to get married.
2. Handle your body to honor God
3. Do not act like Godless people (heathen)
4. Don’t take advantage of other people
This is quiet clear so I don't need to say much more about this.

4. Submissive (1 Peter 2:13-15)
1Pe 2:13 Then be in obedience to every ordinance of men, because of the Lord, whether to a king as supreme, 1Pe 2:14 or to governors as sent by Him for vengeance on evildoers, but for praise on well-doers. 1Pe 2:15 For such is the will of God, doing good to silence the ignorance of foolish men;

Jam 4:7 Therefore submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Eph 5:21 submitting yourselves to one another in the fear of God. Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
Heb 13:17 Yield to those leading you, and be submissive, for they watch for your souls, as those who must give account, that they may do it with joy and not with grief; for that is unprofitable for you.
1Pe 2:13 Then be in obedience to every ordinance of men, because of the Lord, whether to a king as supreme,

5. Suffering (1 Peter 3:17; Philippians 1:29; 2 Timothy 3:12)
1Pe 4:19 Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls in well-doing, as to a faithful Creator.
1Pe 3:17 For it is better, if the will of God wills it, to suffer for well-doing than for evil-doing.

God's will is for His children to suffer for doing good. This is so far from what we learn from Christianity today. Many people teaches that God wants you to be happy, wealthy and have a comfortable life. Here, God is clearly telling us that it is the will of God for us to suffer. Some of you may be shocked to hear this so I will give you some more scriptures.

Philipp 1:29 For to you it is given on behalf of Christ not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake,
2Ti 3:12 Yea, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.
1Pe 2:20 For what glory is it if you patiently endure while sinning and being buffeted? But if you suffer while doing good, and patiently endure, this is a grace from God.

Suffering for doing what is wrong is discipline, this is not what we are talking about. The suffering we are talking about is the suffering that results from doing good. God wants us to live in this hostile world enduring suffering from people (family, friends or anyone). In 1Pet5:10 says that after we suffered for a while, Lord will make us mature. This verse tells us that God will use suffering to perfect/mature us. When we live as a disciple of Christ, we will suffer persecution. 2 Cor 12:8, says Paul has embraced his suffering and he goes on to say that God’s power is perfected in his weaknesses 2Co 12:9 And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may overshadow me .
Our spiritual power depends on our weakness and our weakness is the product of our suffering.

6. Be Thankful (1 Thess 5:18)
1Th 5:16 Rejoice evermore. 1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing. 1Th 5:18 In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Rejoice, pray without ceasing, and give thanks all the time. This is it, this is God’s will for us. As a Christian, this is is the Will of God for our lives.

You may be saying at this point, what about the specifics like the person we are suppose to marry or the job I should have or what clothing I should wear or the food I should eat?
If you do all these things which the Scripture talks about, then do whatever you want. Marry whoever you want, work where ever you want, wear what ever you want, eat & drink whatever you want. This is the freedom we have as a Christian. If these 6 things are true in our lives, guess who controls our lives? It is God. There is nothing complicated about it. Don't expect to get a letter from heaven for all these specifics concerning your life. You may be saying at the point that I have no authority to come to this conclusion because you need the authority from the Scripture. Ok, here is the Scripture
Psa 37:4 Delight yourself also in Jehovah, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.

When we delight in the Lord, He will plant his desires in our heart. When we delight in the Lord, all the wants or desires in our heart will be from God's perspective.
This means that if you are conforming to God's will in all the six ways listed above, He will place in your heart desires that reflect His will. So do whatever you want to do and enjoy your Christian life

2007/8/23 10:24Profile

Re:

Again, very simply put and regardless of your personal stature in the community you find yourself:

God's will for everyone is to enter into the way of the Cross.

That is the most mis-understood subject in the whole Bible orginating in God from eternity.

Jesus not only showed us how to enter but also provided the means; enablement, to enter by the work of the cross only He could perform.

2007/8/24 12:03

Re: How to know the will of God

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
that is my question, I have a big decision up ahead, me and my wife have been talking about moving, i think our motives for moving are right. But how to discern from a biblical viewpoint were we should move, or how we should know this place or that place is the place God has for us?

I have read many books were people have said things like - i felt this was the place, or i felt lead there or something similar.

But i dont trust my "feeling" always, and i was wondering what the bible says about this, I know there are large portion of scripture about moving, sometimes the whole people of God, sometimes just one man or one woman or so, but i would be very grateful for any help,

John Macarthur has a great sermon on knowing the will of God. We make it so hard for ourselves, he laid it out so beautifully simple. If I can remember he said if three areas in your life line up with scripture, then do it. I will locate it for you and send you the link, it was eye opening for me and it might help you. Sometimes we just need to step out in faith. One example he used was a decision he had to make about being the pastor of Grace Community church, there wasn't a direct answer from above, no "sign", he basically wanted to take the position. Sometimes what is on our hearts to do is what God is wanting us to do. We always think we think of everything?! :-)

2007/8/25 22:39
gtenigma

MD

Re:

Hi reformer,

That is funny that you mentioned John Macarthur and his sermon on "The will of God for My life."

I typed that entire sermon and posted it on my earlier post. I know that Sermonindex does not like me to post links to Youtube but that sermon video is on Youtube. Search for the title "John MacArthur - God's Will For Your Life."

2007/8/26 18:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy