SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is most modern day local churches lacking and why?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

The list would be endless if we were to attempt to construct any kind of exhaustive one. I think Rahman hit the heart of the matter. Even we christians who truly love the Lord and are living for His glory the best we know how are lacking most of what the church in Acts had. We've lived in this illusion that this is the christian life, but I would suggest that there's a level of christianity of which we know virtually nothing. And the only way we'll get there is by seeking God to make us all that we could and should be in Christ for God. Seeking until He does that work in us in reality.

The answer I think is best summed up by LiveforGod's post. Revival. God pouring His Spirit out upon us to make us what we ought to be and when He does that He promised that He would convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment. To be brutally honest with ourselves in comparing ourselves to the model God has provided of what His church should be, namely the book of Acts, we'd have to say that even we, though it's hard to own up to the fact, have a form of Godliness but deny the power thereof. I think the devil laughs the hardest at us who are perhaps the most sincere of believers and have the most fervent love for the Lord and are wholy given up to His will but are completely void of the power of God in our lives as demonstrated and defined in the Holy Scriptures.

2007/8/9 8:44Profile

Re:

The vast majority of what we call Church is not Church. What is lacking is the new birth where by unconverted religous people (who call themselves the Church) are radically converted by the Holy Spirit into true saints of God and become members of the true body of Christ.

In Christ - Jim

2007/8/9 8:45
wallbuilder

Re: What is most modern day local churches lacking and why?

If you look to nations that are not in the Western world, i.e-China, Africa, the Fiji Islands...most of them are currently experiencing real outpourings of the Holy Spirit, and their churches are growing exponentially, in genuine revival. Why? According to George Otis Jr. (Sentinel ministries) they have all come to a place where they KNOW they need GOD-and in great humility and deseration they cry out to God in all night prayer meetings, walking for miles to pray corporately, sometimes out in the bush, or hidden places-to REPENT and cry out to the Father for things to change in their city or nation.

How many here in this nation do things like that? When that starts happening, then and only then will I actually believe we are anywhere close to a genuine move of God.

Rhonda Hughey of Fusion ministries is experiencing that somewhat in Nebraska as area churches are coming together to repent of known sin and to WAIT on God. And they are currently experiencing the beginnings of revival. Check it out for yourself. This and only this is the right message for the hour we live in-ALL else is folly! The church grieves me over and over and over and over. God help us!!!!!!!!

Barb

2007/8/9 10:06Profile
Branded4him

Ohio

Re:

what id say our churches are lacking is humility. true holiness stems from a life governed by humilty. the humility of Christ is lacking in christianity today.

2007/8/9 13:05Profile

Re:

Roniya wrote:
The preeminence of Christ is what is missing.

"And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence." Col. 1:18

The process of change: surrender to His Lordship.

moe_mac wrote:
There have been many true and great responses to this question from most likely many different denominational backgrounds. Denominationism should not separate the body. Thanks Brothers and sisters for all your comments and truths.

By many denominational leaders own admissions, up to as much as 80 percent of their congregation have never had a true conversion, a regeneration by the Holy Spirit. Most of these churches by their written church constitutions and bylaws vote and make decisions and set the church agenda, based on a vote by the entire body (80% unregenerated of so called believers) about all things including baptism, church discipline and others. If this statement about, only 20 percent(regenerated by the Holy Spirit) of the church is voting members, then who do think is setting the agenda for the church? If the church decisions are made by the leadership only, as some denominations do that and they too have this same percentage of regeneration in leadership, then you get the same results. One of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Until the church gets a majority and goes back to the system HE gave and that being in HIS WORD and apply the qualification for those offices HE gave, and the majority then looks to Christ and HIS WORD alone, not a way that seems right and seeks to the fit the modern day culture, but sets the agenda based on what HIS WORD says, the churches are going to keep getting the same results over and over again, just like the insane. Contrary to popular opinion, the body of Christ is not a democratic organism, as many church constitutions declare, by rather what Roniya proclaimed. Christ is the Head and He must have supremacy in everything. I pray myself that I will allow to do those things in my life consistently.

Col 1:15-20
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:
23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:
25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.
KJV

2007/8/9 13:22
wallbuilder

Re: What is most modern day local churches lacking and why?

I replied earlier, but I would say yes to all of the above.

Mostly, though, its the fact that we don't think we're missing anything. If we did, we would be looking for it now wouldn't we?

It's called 'deception', and the Western church lives in it. We are indeed the church of Laodicea-we perceive things one way, but the Lord Jesus see it quite differently, and unless we repent of our lukewarmness, materialism and self reliance, He will spit us out of His mouth. Does that concern anyone? And what are we (I) doing about it? For real, not just talking and analyzing, but what are we DOING about it?

But we don't think we're that bad off, we're mostly pretty good, right?

2007/8/9 14:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy