SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are Pulpits Necessary?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Are Pulpits Necessary?

Here is a question for you. I am just wondering what everyone thinks about a church without a pulpit. Do you think it's good or bad? Is it necessary or just a tradition carried over from the catholic church? Does it give the impression that only the preacher can hear from and speak for God?

2007/8/3 19:58
jordanamo

Re: Are Pulpits Necessary?

I don't really think it's a big deal. I'm more concerned with the preacher behind the pulpit who's proclaiming the Word, not the pulpit that holds the Word.

2007/8/3 21:33Profile

"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, [i]he[/i] went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and [i]stood up for to read[/i]. And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. And [i]he closed the book[/i], and he gave it again to the minister, [i]and sat down[/i]. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. [i]And he began to say unto them...[/i]" (LUKE 4:16-21)

Perhaps we ought only to stand in the puplit when we're reading the Gospel, and sit when we expound it.

2007/8/3 21:55
hulsey

Missouri

This is one topic that I find interesting about today's Church. How you view the pulpit depends on what you feel is exalted in it.

Today, more serious minded Christians seem to distance themselves from one, feeling that a man is exalted, and "cult of personality" becomes an idol to the people.

In the past the pulpits were magnified and were built rather large because it was from here that the Word of God was to reign.

I guess it can come down to this: Is man exalted in the pulpit, or, is it aflame with righteousness?

2007/8/4 0:11Profile
Zapthycat

Livermore, CA

Re:

Pulpits? Required? NO.

Are Church buildings? No way! If Church buildings tend to seperate the Church from the world they are trying to reach, as well as give us a place to attend to instead of People and God to attend to... then of course a pulpit isn't necessary.....

Just my thoughts.

2007/8/4 1:22Profile

Are pulpits neccasary? I would say useful. Useful for a Bible stand, microphone stand, for the notes and outlines of what God has laid on the preachers heart during the week to speak to the people about. Other than that, the only other thing I could think of is, in case the where maybe the preacher forgot to do something after he went to the bathroom. zip zip!!!!

2007/8/4 13:27
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Maybe we would get more attention in a service if we stood [b]on[/b] the pulpit.

Neh 8:4 And Ezra the scribe stood [b]upon[/b] a pulpit of wood....

2007/8/4 13:39Profile

Re:

PreachParsly wrote:
Maybe we would get more attention in a service if we stood on the pulpit.

Neh 8:4 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood....

moe_mac rsponse:
Thanks for adding that, I knew it was there, but did not remember where. I started to do a search but didn't. I think what you were saying is why many preachers get so emotional in the sermon that God has given them. They are so wanting the people to hear and understand. I guess getting upon the pulpit would be ok if it got our attention enough to listen.

2007/8/4 14:25
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

That was actually my sad attempt at a joke... :-P

2007/8/4 14:43Profile

Re:

PreachParsly I did see some humor and could visualize the preacher on top of the pulpit, but I also saw maybe why some preacher might see the necessity of it. Sometimes the lack of ability to convey humor or emotions in our post and re's: on SI is an advantage and at times a disadvantage.

2007/8/4 14:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy