SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : An Urgent Plea (from the Scriptures) To Go and Preach the Gospel!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

Corey_H wrote:
Quote:
It's very simple. Own Jesus Christ. He is the sustaining message any preacher should present to a sick world. He came to save the lost and dying, not condemn them.

Anyone can stand on the street corner and shout hellfire and brimstone messages readout of a book most everyone believes contradicts itself.

Show them Christ. Reveal to them the Father's intent by restoring man to fellowship with Him. What does Father have in mind by doing it except to bring about His family of sons to rule and reign with Him. Assume everyone wants to know that and you are telling them for the first time. You will soon discover who is interested and who isn't. ... You will also find out if you left Jerusalem too soon. [Acts 1]

Ormly, how do you get this across?

I recently heard a sermon by an older preacher who lamented our generation. He said something to the effect of, "back in those days, everyone knew the Bible stories because they'd been taught it in school. Preaching was exhorting them to remember what they'd already been taught. Nowadays, you have to explain, step by step, the need for the Law, the need for repentance, and the need for Jesus..." (paraphrased)

How do you get through the barriers and arguments these people have been taught in school (like "people in the Bible believed in slavery", "were cruel to women", etc?

Know first that most all people are not living satisified lives and are looking for something that lasts; something they can count on being there, something that fulfills and takes away their anxiety. I believe the highest reason for death in young people is suicide. The worst thing a person can have is, no hope. You are bringing "The Hope" to them.

Never go with the expectation of producing a "spiritual poverty" in anyone. Most won't recognize their need and only the Holy Spirit can do that, but pray as you speak the love of Jesus that they will begin to measure themselve against it and begin to ponder, "woe unto me".

I hear you .... In a way I am saying, one must not go into the arena without having answers. You must have "words" in your Spiritual bank account that the Holy Spirit, when drawing on the account, finds words there for you [Him] to speak:

"...... thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words." Daniel 10:12 (KJV)

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear" 1 Peter 3:15 (KJV)

One must be knowledgable in multiple subjects pertaining to todays current events and life's influences when preaching in order to relate; in order to say, 'I understand but I have come to show you all life and how to have it more abundantly'..... and how to have this abundant life for eternity.

Never was there a day as today when the power of Pentecost was more needed. "Don't leave home without it".

Blessings, :-)

2007/7/29 7:33

Re:

Quote:
Ormly said: Show them Christ. Reveal to them the Father's intent by restoring man to fellowship with Him. What does Father have in mind by doing it except to bring about His family of sons to rule and reign with Him.

Thats the best gospel message I've heard thus far. This is what Paul preached, "Christ and Him crucified"

I love it! :-D

2007/7/29 11:22

Re: "Christ and Him Crucified."

From off the Homepage:

[b]Celebrate Immanuel’s Name [/b]

Celebrate Immanuel’s Name, the Prince of life and peace.
God with us, our lips proclaim, our faithful hearts confess.
God is in our flesh revealed; Heav’n and earth in Jesus join.
Mortal with Immortal filled, and human with Divine.

Fullness of the Deity in Jesus’ body dwells,
Dwells in all His saints and me when God His Son reveals.
Father, manifest Thy Son; breathe the true incarnate Word.
In our inmost souls make known the presence of the Lord.

Let the Spirit of our Head through every member flow;
By our Lord inhabited, we then Immanuel know.
Then He doth His Name express; God in us we truly prove,
Find with all the life of grace and all the power of love.

[b]Quote:[/b]

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear" 1 Peter 3:15 (KJV)

One must be knowledgable in multiple subjects pertaining to today's current events and life's influences when preaching in order to relate; in order to say, 'I understand but I have come to show you all life and how to have it more abundantly'..... and how to have this abundant life for eternity.

Never was there a day as today when the power of Pentecost was more needed. "Don't leave home without it".

Blessings, :-)

End Quote.

Christ and Him Crucified. Amen!

2007/7/29 14:02

Re:

Ormly,

Quote:
In your ignorance you present a condemning message, while demonstrating your Bible prowess to a people you presume to be religious. About Jesus Christ, they aren't. And you aren't either if you believe Jesus came preaching what you preach.

Friend, I preached the Word of God. I do believe Jesus preached what I preach. I got it from His own Words. Paul followed Jesus, and this is what Paul preached to the Romans. You condemn the very message of the bible, if you say that these verses out of Romans should not be preached and taught to souls.

Quote:
One must be knowledgable in multiple subjects pertaining to todays current events and life's influences when preaching in order to relate; in order to say, 'I understand but I have come to show you all life and how to have it more abundantly'..... and how to have this abundant life for eternity.

One must preach the Word of God and not water it down (so as to meet the needs of carnal men)... by omitting any mention of the holiness of God and man's sinfulness in the light of God's Law and judgements.

Friend, I am ashamed of the seeker-friendly message you preach. It grieves me that you believe Romans 1-2 should not be preached.

2007/7/29 14:31

Re:

Quote:

Abe_Juliot wrote:
Ormly,
Quote:
In your ignorance you present a condemning message, while demonstrating your Bible prowess to a people you presume to be religious. About Jesus Christ, they aren't. And you aren't either if you believe Jesus came preaching what you preach.

Friend, I preached the Word of God. I do believe Jesus preached what I preach. I got it from His own Words. Paul followed Jesus, and this is what Paul preached to the Romans. You condemn the very message of the bible, if you say that these verses out of Romans should not be preached and taught to souls.

Quote:

One must preach the Word of God and not water it down (so as to meet the needs of carnal men)... by omitting any mention of the holiness of God and man's sinfulness in the light of God's Law and judgements.

Friend, I am ashamed of the seeker-friendly message you preach. It grieves me that you believe Romans 1-2 should not be preached.

Bro, you can preach what you want. I was asked by Corey to respond to a few of her questions. I believe I did. What you choose to believe of me bothers me little. Spinning wheels is certainly something that is allowed in all religions. However, injury to the cause of Christ is another issue.

2007/7/29 15:13
theopenlife

Re:

Ormly, it was actually I who asked, but that matters little.

May I tell you something? I was falsely converted for ten years because someone told me that I had a "hole shaped just right for Jesus" and that He wanted to make me His co-heir. The problem was that I never knew what repentance is, or to what extent I needed Him, so I held all of my sin in my bosom with no intent to ever let go of it.

In effect, I loved sin more than Christ, and your message - without clearly confronting sin - accommodates such a false conversion nicely. This is no intentional slander against you, but I am plainly saying that if I, personally, had not heard the message as it was presented by Abraham, I'd be going to hell still. The holiness of God brought a proud sinner as I was into repentance and then the Gospel brought me to faith.

I am surely not alone in the world, and this means there are many who must hear the holiness and justice of God before they will ascent to their need of Him.

If you say differently, you are essentially sealing the fate of others who are like the person I was.

For consideration, in love,

2007/7/29 16:27Profile

Re:

It all depends on the condition of each unsaved person's heart.

Someone only led me in the "sinners prayer", yet when Jesus excepted that, I cried face down in repentence for 24 hours.

Yet no one told me about anything more about repentence than what's in that prayer.

I knew I was a stinkin' sinner for most of my life, but no one told me what Jesus had done for us.

Jesus never used a method, He spoke to individuals through The Wisdom of the Holy Spirit that is the only One Who knows each individual's state, their heart and their state of readiness to fully count the cost and follow.

2007/7/29 18:04

Re:

Quote:

theopenlife wrote:
Ormly, it was actually I who asked, but that matters little.

May I tell you something? I was falsely converted for ten years because someone told me that I had a "hole shaped just right for Jesus" and that He wanted to make me His co-heir. The problem was that I never knew what repentance is, or to what extent I needed Him, so I held all of my sin in my bosom with no intent to ever let go of it.

In effect, I loved sin more than Christ, and your message - without clearly confronting sin - accommodates such a false conversion nicely. This is no intentional slander against you, but I am plainly saying that if I, personally, had not heard the message as it was presented by Abraham, I'd be going to hell still. The holiness of God brought a proud sinner as I was into repentance and then the Gospel brought me to faith.

I am surely not alone in the world, and this means there are many who must hear the holiness and justice of God before they will ascent to their need of Him.

If you say differently, you are essentially sealing the fate of others who are like the person I was.

For consideration, in love,

So what you are saying moved you should move others. I don't know about any false conversion you may have had but subjective preaching will go almost nowhere. Grannie has it right when she not only speaks of her experience but also when she stated what all she stated concerning the Holy Spirit. There are no methods needed when He is doing the soul searching.

Win souls with Christ to Christ and try leaving your fire and brimstone preaching to the preacher whose congregation may need to hear it..

2007/7/29 18:28
theopenlife

Re:

I do not believe evangelism is a matter of method but of willingness, and of doctrine. I may be willing to tell them they need a savior, but if I cannot tell them why He saves, how He saves, and what they are being saved from, then here is the issue. Until I heard it taught the way shown by Abraham, and Paul Washer, and Whitefield, I thought that repentance was optional. As it says in Jude, 22-23

"And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."

I was the one who needed the fearfulness of my situation to be shown. Thank God someone did.

We must make distinctions.

2007/7/29 19:15Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Someone only led me in the "sinners prayer", yet when Jesus accepted that, I cried face down in repentence for 24 hours.

Yet no one told me about anything more about repentence than what's in that prayer.

I can relate to this experience...

When the Holy Spirit gets ahold of your heart, the reality of salvation, repentance and regeneration, gratitude and brokenness, takes place with or without all of the doctrinal points.

For a few years I would have opposed claiming personal holiness because my church background told me in no uncertain terms that God alone was holy. Because of that background I was more ready to be aware of God's grace in my life...yet looking back it was my own selective doctrinal background that was filtering the message because in truth my new heart was more thirsty for righteousness then many holiness friends I knew at the time.

So I gladly boasted in grace, grace, grace... even though the Lord was making me holy! Conversely, many people here boast of holiness with a more ready understanding of this aspect of the gospel...but in truth they too are being broken and healed minute by minute in grace, living under the blood of Christ freely shed for them.

Since realizing this dynamic, I have attempted to understand the bible's balanced...and seemingly contradictory mix on holiness and grace. For instance, Paul teaches grace as absolutely as he teaches holiness! "His" gospel has an indictive and an imperitive message. That we are made holy by the work of cross, and the righteousness of Christ is a trustworthy indicative, and that we must become holy by the work of the cross, becoming more like Christ, is equally an imperitive. In my experience we must read the New Testament convinced of both truths or we will derail our faith.

Likewise, many people in our humanist age need to hear about God's wrath, but at the same time we can't forget that some people do indeed need to hear about God's compassion. Yet because many of us feel cheated by only hearing about one aspect or the other, we might feel tempted to base our own ministry in critique of either 'seeker-sensitive' or 'fire and brimstone' ministies. I think being cememted in either unilateral policy can infringe on the Holy Spirit's living ministry through us.

Jude instructs us accordingly:

And of some have compassion, making a difference:

And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Blessings,

MC

2007/7/29 19:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy