SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Let's Get Refocussed

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
yes its sometimes sad to see harry potter threads have 178 replies and over 4000 views, and a thread like Picture of a prophet only slides by almost un-noticed,

Brother you are so right. I can watch two cats fight, fur flying and watch it as if I watching two guys in the ring wrestling, pure entertainment. But when it comes to brother pitching against brother, thats not entertaining at all, in fact it hurts.

We are drawn to controversy, arguments and debates, we want to see whats going on. We may hate what we see, but we still are there anyway. When a house is on fire, the whole community comes out to watch. Some may get negative about how the fire was started while others offer assistance, which can be interpreted as both good and bad.

We are funny people, I know I am.

2007/7/26 15:32

Re:

Quote:
We are drawn to controversy, arguments and debates, we want to see whats going on.

Sometimes thats a good thing. For instance... football. (everything with me comes back to football...)

Look at the Atlanta Falcons. The Atlanta Falcons are the #1 rival team of the Carolina Panthers. Last year the media hyped the Panthers as being the team to win the Super Bowl even before training camp began. So the spotlight was on them and they fell on their face and spent the rest of the season trying to catch up.

This year, thanks to Americas pre-occupation with controversy... NOBODY is talking about the Panthers, thanks to the Falcons Quarterback, Mike Vick!

So now, maybe the Panthers can quietly work their way to the Super Bowl.

So controversy can be a good thing. :-)

Dont ya love football logic??

Oh, and as a die-hard Panthers fan, y'all just know I'm loving every second of this Mike Vick thing... hee hee hee...!

Krispy

2007/7/26 15:43
FreebyWord

Re:

Contention and debate rule where you find two or more people, and grievously for the name of Jesus this includes Christians.

I worked for a Christian book store three years and witnessed that the truly humble man of God, with vast knowledge of the Word, has little to say and much love toward the brethren in Word and deed, humbly submitting himself to God and man, mindful of the needs of others.

Those with the most to say, the "great" expositors of bible scholarship usually don't.

2007/7/26 15:46Profile

Re:

Krispy, thank you for your reply to my post on this previous page. You've noticed it too then, that the "really" Spiritual threads get ignored, yet we cry that we want to everyone else to post more "spiritual". HEY-HOY ? What kinda stuff is that ???? :-?

We've gotta back up our words with getting 'into' these other Spiritual threads, like you said.
There's no sense always doing the motes and beamers thing here with accusing each other of not being spiritual, when we don't even look over at the Devotionals or Articles, nonetheless share at the least an AMEN if we've really read them and felt them tug on our hearts.

It's SOOOOOOOO much easier to pull the log out of other's eyes, isn't it ?

I think if we just keep looking at our own-selves (as they say down yonder here :) and to where 'we' need to grow, then we'll appreciate these more spiritual threads again or more and find our "first love" and return to it.

I really recommend Robert's thread on "Gathering" because it talks about when "we are together and 'why' we are" and stuff like that.
We need to back each other up more in the Positives, so when you or Kire or Pastorfrin or BrokenOne or BrokenVessel or roniya or the many-many others post Spiritual things, that's where we should gather together to meet, thread by thread.

I found another "statement of faith" just now, that maybe we could somehow incorporate into our fellowshipping together here. Heck, if we're gonna have to spend eternity together, we may as well start it off right now ..... :-D .....
Anyhowz, here's the link....

It's written by Anonymous and it can be fashioned to our situation here somehow, maybe ?

Give me your opinion. It's kinda like a house Church thing, but not. I belong to a Church, but see SI as a House-Church, cuz we're all in each other's homes ... ha ... glad there's no video here. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. (How many cats does she have ????) Ha.

Don't let the title in the link throw ya though... you'll see, it looks like a good goal to have here ... but I'll wait your discernments.

Thanks again!!

EDIT: MY MISTAKE ... it was this one... I'm sorry ...

http://www.lifehouse.org/tracts/christiansimplicity.htm

2007/7/26 15:52
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Grannie...

I agree.

I think that the bulk of the problem that I have with such threads are not the opinions that are made -- but the manner in which such opinions are made. There is seldom a distinction between what is PERSUASION and OPINION (in many such matters, including political and doctrinal) and what is FACT.

Examples of "persuasion" incorrectly articulated as "fact":
- There were no WMDs in Iraq, so President Bush is a liar!
- The KJV is the best version of the Bible and all modern versions are corrupt!
- Christian rock-n-roll is authored by Satan himself!
- Believers in a pre-trib "rapture" are deceived!
- As a mature believer, I now understand that tithing is spiritual bondage.
- Drinking wine is going to take you to Hell!
- There aren't any true believers in the Roman Catholic church.
- The neocons in Congress and the White House don't really care about stopping abortion.
- Hurricane Katrina was God's judgment poured upon New Orleans.
- The war being fought in Iraq is all about oil.
- People who speak in tongues are deceived!
- The only truly modest women, according to the Word of God, wear head coverings.
- There is nothing wrong with watching movies!
- The Word of God is clear that watching movies equates to worldliness and will take you to Hell.
- Fat people are guilty of the sin of gluttony, which is just as bad as taking drugs!
- True prophets are rejected by most people in the Church.
- Satan is the author of all secular music!

While some of these statements may contain element of "fact" (and may actually be truth) they are still merely a persuasion. I truly believe that we need to be careful to make a distinction between what is undeniable truth and those things for which we are merely persuaded (even through study and prayer).

There are many different believers from many different backgrounds at many different stages of growth and maturity. If we could all get to the point of agreeing on the essential, articulating the differences between fact and opinion, and showing love in all things -- then perhaps these things wouldn't happen as often?

Besides, there are far more pressing issues at hand.

:-)

2007/7/26 17:34Profile

Re:

Quote:

Uhmmm... actually... well... hmmm...

...leaving it alone... for now.

Krispy

2007/7/26 18:03
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Krispy...

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:

Krispy

lol

But do you understand what I mean about "persuasion" as a possible different entity from "fact." Sometimes, those persuasions are accurately based upon fact. And sometimes, our opinions about what we feel to be undeniable "fact" changes over time.

Anyway, I think that we are on the same page about this (even if we sometimes tend to disagree over Bible translation).

:-)

2007/7/26 18:14Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Krispy,

Bless you man. This is what the Lord has been teaching me, as you know. ;-) Praise God for these words of wisdom.

Jordan

2007/7/26 19:01Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:

Krispy

Wow. I have seldom seen such restraint on these forums. A true example. It’s hard, at times to let certain comments go by without remark, but if Krispy can do this…well…anything is possible. :-)

On a more serious note. I often think of how Jesus could have verbally shredded any of those that gave opposition, but he chose to remain silent.

2007/7/26 19:22Profile

Re:

Chris, I considered giving the same answer as Krispy did on this but decided, since you have always been a very good brother 'to' me, that I should tell ya what I think ... mind you this is just my opinion now ... ha.

You are just as firm with your opinions.

See, that's what I was meaning to say on this previous page. We all have opinions and we shouldn't jump back with our opinions in such a way that we are doing the same thing yet begruding another of free expression. Am I making any sense here ??? I really don't know myself at times. This form of communicating REALLY TRUTHFULLY comes hard to me, but I'm pushing my brain at this point to express what I mean and how I see where we all could get along much better too, just as all the rest are on this thread of Krispy's.

Chris, you do express your opinions as fact and very much persuasion and I don't mean an ounce of harm in that because I prefer that people DO DO THAT.

If a person has a "conviction", which is better way to term it than "opinion" --- then if they don't stand behind they're convictions, they are whimping out .... I'm sorry ... I truthfully cannot come up with a better synomym right now.

Even if your conviction is wrong, I think you just state what it is that you believe and that's it. There's no way to state your convictions or opinions without sounding like you're trying to "persuade" ... I've never seen many of your posts not try to "persuade" ... see ? But I wouldn't have it any other way.
You have the freedom, right and obligation to try to persuade anyone, if you feel your conviction is from GOD. You feel yours are ... in fact ... even these posts on this thread are a form of "persuasion", including yours again.

We should be free to post our convictions/opinions and have others post theirs back at us, which will ALWAYS be a form of "persuasion" ... see ?

It's just that when we put "motives" in someone's heart of "why" they are posting what and why they are, that things get down right ugly.

We've all done it. I have too. Even with you almost two years ago now. I don't forget. I had to beg your forgiveness over a News article and stayed up past 9 am waiting here to see if you'd come on and forgive me. I don't forget when things like that happen.

This form of communication is so difficult PERIOD, without placing extra tension on "what" we post, nonetheless, how we "think" it sounds.

You carry a very strong type of authority in your posts and I cower sometimes from your posts and I'm sure there are those who feel the same about my posts, even you ... but if we all "met" each other, I know for certain that none of us would feel that "authority" from each other.

First, I'd like to take care of "my own-self" like I posted above and make that my only aim as far as my "attitude problem" until the Lord comes back.

I can't adjust others "attitudes" and they can't adjust mine, except through exceptance and love.

Hmmmm, I feel like I'm failing in words again and could be cuz I'm kinda of tired ... but I wouldn't take your right to try to persuade with your convictions for all the tea in the local Chinese restaurant, as long as you recognise that you do do that with most every post and give others the same freedom. We don't have to fight --- just permit freedom. If we allow more freedom, then there won't be as many Fights to gain back one's freedom of expression. Not as much "name calling" and the other sad things that happen between us. Also, to Trust God more for others who differ with us. Don't go on and on about things on every thread sort of thing, except maybe on the Love issue.

In your list above are a few issues where I've seen you even get angry with your convictions to those that are the opposite of yours ... and again ... I wouldn't change that or take that from you for all the tea at Aunt Sophie's house.
It's only when we try to take away the freedom of each man to have his own convicitions or opinions and to freely express them that the Fights start. Man wasn't built to work that way. Restraint is what drove the founding fathers here to begin with and write our bill of rights. Amen, hey ? :-D Let's cherish those rights while they're still here.... we'll miss these days with each and each-other one day maybe.

Love you brother. Happy "home" coming to you & your Bride.... Always.

Annie

2007/7/26 19:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy