SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Should heretics (non-calvinists) be burned alive?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I suppose they could have arrested him and brought him back to the Catholics. But the Catholics probably wanted to kill the Calvinists just as the Calvinists wanted to kill non-Calvinists....

I have read quite extensively on this history and can hardly conclude that Servetus was killed for being a "non-Calvinist."

Servetus was a rank heretic in the truest definition of the term. He denied many and most central doctrines of Christianity. He wrote prolifically and taught things that would upset both Calvinists and Arminians alike. He was enthralled by both Judaism and Islam and tried to find ways to join them with Christianity (Kinda like Emerging Christianity on steroids...lol)

I'm not defending Calvin in any way in this. An honest inspection of the history of this event can only lead one to conclude that he was central to Servetus' arrest and trial. However, by saying he was killed for being a "non-Calvinist" misconstrues the debate and implies things that are not true.

Blessings,
Jeremy Hulsey

2007/8/1 10:08Profile

Re: Should heretics (non-calvinists) be burned alive?

Jesse said

Quote:
But the Catholics probably wanted to kill the Calvinists just as the Calvinists wanted to kill non-Calvinists....

There's something I don't think you 'get' about this period of history, which is, that Catholics had been persecuting non-Catholics relentlessly for centuries. After Martin Luther realised salvation is a gift, and Erasmus was put in the difficult position of defending Catholicism - even though he was intellectually convinced of the importance of scripture and had wanted to reform the Catholic Church from within - there was to be no respite for non-Catholics - unless they could find domicile in a non-Catholic COUNTRY.

This is why the marriages of monarchs and heirs to thrones and the relationship of those heirs were so important both to the people and to Rome.

Read up on the Secret Treaty of Dover and compare the legislatures of France and England at that time. At that time, in the wake of what Mary had done in England in the 1500s, there was NO WAY the English were willing to take back a Catholic monarch. While the Pope, to this day, retains the right to depose kings and princes, this is a very serious matter for Christians everywhere. Nothing has changed.

Calvin's influence in Scotland and the English Parliament through Presbyterianism did not lead to Catholics being executed in England - apart from Charles 1 for constitutional reasons. But, there had been a time when it was not safe to be a Catholic here - just as it had not been safe to be a Protestant under a Catholic monarch.

So when William of Orange's wife was called to the throne, she asked in the oath of allegiance subjects were asked to 'swear', only that Catholics would promise to do them no physical harm (as in [i]retaliation[/i]). But, Catholics found it very hard to accept a Protestant monarch, as it implied duplicity against Rome.

Sorry, I'm if rambling, but I think you do need to grasp that Protestants had been dying for a very long time, when you pick on just one well-known Protestant, and imply his concerns were more over his own credibility, than the spread of credibility of eternal truth.

2007/8/1 15:58
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Oh sis dorcas,
don't go bringing history into this, we might have to think about all our presuppositions, and then be faced with the fact that Rome has never been a friend of Protestant doctrine, and has set out to merge theirs with ours to do away with what they perceived as heresy. I would really encourage folks to read The Council of Trent, specifically the section on justification. Also it would do well to read the Roman Catholic Catechism. Compare these to Historic Protestant doctrine, and what is held by many today, and you will be forced to make some difficult choices.

2007/8/1 16:08Profile

Oh Patrick!

Quote:
I would really encourage folks to read The Council of Trent, specifically the section on justification.

Amen.

(I haven't read it yet, but the section on 'holy' matrimony states, (apart from the misquotation and alteration of scripture), that anyone who takes a biblical view of either marriage or divorce, is to be counted anathema (accursed). The ferocity with which scripture is opposed there, startled me.

It is also instructive to realise how narrowly the Catholic Church skimmed in (to England) at the last minute, so to speak, with it's pronouncement on so much, which has influenced even Protestant Christianity to this day.)

Let God be true and every man a liar.

2007/8/1 17:01
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
Let God be true and every man a liar.

AMEN!!!!!!!

2007/8/1 17:25Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I believe that Scripture is able to deliver one from the trappings of the culture one finds himself in. To say that "culture" or "history" is an excuse for the outworkings of one's heart is based on unbelief...

Listen to the arguement presented by ...

Ethics: An Introduction by James P. Eckman Grace University, Omaha NE

In modern culture the terms ethics and morals are virtual synonyms. Quite frankly the confusion over the interchangeableness of these two terms is understandable. But it is wrong. From history we learn that the two words have different meanings. Ethics comes from the Greek word ethos, meaning a “stall” for horses, a place of stability and permanence. The word morality came from mores which describes the shifting behavioral patterns of society.

Ethics is what is normative, absolute. It refers to a set of standards around which we organize our lives and from which we define our duties and obligations. It results in a set of imperatives that establishes behavior patterns that are acceptable. It is what people ought to do. By contrast, morality is more concerned with what people do. It describes what people are already doing, often regardless of any absolute set of standards.

We now see the problem of the modern human condition. When ethics and morality are confused and mixed, the result is that the culture makes the norms. The “standards” become relativistic and changing. That which is the norm is identified with that which is the absolute. The absolute standards are consumed by the fluid nature of the culture. Relativism triumphs over the absolute.

This is where modern culture is today. We determine the norm of human behavior through statistical studies, like the Kinsey report did on human sexuality. Behavior which the Bible condemns (e.g., adultery, homosexuality) is practiced widely, statistical analysis demonstrates. Therefore, since this behavior is widely practiced, that becomes society’s norm and therefore its ethical standard. Ethics becomes a relativistic, floating set of patterns which determines our duty and obligation. Nothing is absolute and nothing is forever. That which the culture thought was nailed down is not. It is fluid as a changing river.

The Bible will have none of this. The deep-seated conviction of the Christian is the proposition that God exists and that He has revealed Himself. That revelation is verbal and propositional; it is contained in the Bible. That revelation contains the absolute set of standards rooted in God’s character and will. He knows what is best for us because He created us and He redeemed us. Therefore, His verbal revelation contains the absolute standard on which we base our lives and construct our duties and obligations to the family, the church, and the state.

To God ethics is not a set of fluid standards. It is a set of absolutes that reflects His character and defines human duty. He wants us to love Him and love our neighbor as ourselves. This twin injunction is a powerful example of duty to God and duty to other humans. They are imperatives for all humans. They constitute a supernatural window into what is good, right, just, and perfect. As Erwin Lutzer has argued, “We must be willing to set aside temporarily the question of what actions are right or wrong to focus on a more basic question; what makes an action right or wrong?” that is why God has the right to say to us, “Be holy for I am holy.” He, the Creator, sets the standard against which we must measure all behavior.

end of thought...

Scripture through the power of the Holy Spirit can deliver completely those who are held captive to Satan's world... To say one's walk is colored by the history of the day falls into the same trap that this author describes above.

The one who is of the right spirit, will be conformed into the image of His Son. He will be seperated from the spirit who kills...

In Christ
Jeff

2007/8/2 0:43Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I am absolutely appalled at the tone of this thread! The number of people who work hard to justify Calvin!...Who downplay his role in the killing of 'heretics'....I can only shake my head in wonder....am so sad...disappointed ...grieved at the lack of godly love.

ginnyrose

2007/8/3 0:30Profile

ginnyrose said

Quote:
I am absolutely appalled at the tone of this thread!

Hi ginnyrose,

I've got a couple of questions for you, if I may...

Does your exclamation above, mean you are totally against the death penalty, because you believe this is appropriate for believers in the New Covenant?

And, have you had a look at the Council of Trent (available in its fulness on google) to begin to understand the Catholic Church's attitude to the written word of God?

2007/8/3 5:33

Re:

All of this seems to come down to the blunders of Augustine, who really seems to be the Father of both Roman Catholicism and Calvinism, the Catholics took more of his practical doctrines, the Calvinists took more of his theological doctrines.

[b]But can we all at least agree [/b]that Augustine was terribly mistaken, if not intentionally sinning, when using Lk 14:23 to justify persecuting others into conversion?

[b]And can we at least agree [/b]that Calvin was either mistaken, or sinning, when using Lk 14:23 to justify his tactics of conversion by persecution?

Is it not obvious that the one who uses Lk 14:23 for those purposes is either intellectually deficient or is purposely twisting scripture?

Either their [i]character[/i], or their [i]understanding[/i], was wrong. Or possibly both.

2007/8/3 5:56
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Re:

Quote:
by Lazarus1719 on 2007/8/3 20:56:53
All of this seems to come down to the blunders of Augustine, who really seems to be the Father of both Roman Catholicism and Calvinism, the Catholics took more of his practical doctrines, the Calvinists took more of his theological doctrines.

But can we all at least agree that Augustine was terribly mistaken, if not intentionally sinning, when using Lk 14:23 to justify persecuting others into conversion?

And can we at least agree that Calvin was either mistaken, or sinning, when using Lk 14:23 to justify his tactics of conversion by persecution?

Is it not obvious that the one who uses Lk 14:23 for those purposes is either intellectually deficient or is purposely twisting scripture?

Either their character, or their understanding, was wrong. Or possibly both.

It would be even more fair to accuse the church of Rome for canonizing Augustine as a saint yet declaring anathema over Pelagius when in practice it in fact did vice versa.

How is it that the Catholic Church could impose a system of extra-biblical laws, rules, traditions, offices and hermeneutics centred around legalism (or in the case of Erasmus, humanism), when it's supposed founder, Augustine as you would like to assert, preached on the Total Inability of fallen man? :-?

I'm sure that if asked, both the Arminians and Calvinists on this site would care less for the personalities of these two views yet more for the doctrines themselves and what scripture has to say about them. While I lean towards Calvinism personally, I will not call myself a "Calvinist" if you define such as a word-for-word disciple of John Calvin.

However, if the testimony of God's full counsel alone gives favor to one side of an argument over another to the point that the other side has to be declared as falsehood, then that's something we'll just have to accept at face value regardless of whose hands it falls into past, present and future (this doesn't apply to just soteriology, by the way).

2007/8/3 9:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy