SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The damaging effect harry potter has had on christians

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

The damaging effect harry potter has had on christians

To me it is amazing how many people even christians do not know the verse

Deuteronomy 18:9-14
9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations. 10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, 11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. 12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee. 13 Thou shalt be perfect

Isa 8:19 - Show Context
And when they say to you, "Seek those who are mediums and wizards, who whisper and mutter," should not a people seek their God? Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living?

In our book shops the witchcraft and other sections are getting bigger, even in the christian faith you get books.
To me the shock has not been the world take up of this phenomina but the church.
J K Rowlands is a self confessed witch, I think there was one commentator of her books a former witch said this a basic manual to start being a witch

2Ch 33:6 - Show Context
And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.

Gal 5
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

It says in the sciptures in Galations that they shall not inherit the Kingdom of god. It is that plain or clear. This basically means that people who are into witchcraft and have not repented will go to hell
The biggest answer you get is "It does not affect me?" but it does.
This is the same answer with TV.
As christians do we not have to run away from this ?
I so long for purity and long for Jesus more and need prayer for both.
If we love Jesus will we not reject the works of the evil one?
Dom

2007/7/23 11:32Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: The damaging effect harry potter has had on christians

Um, it's a book, it's fiction, it doesn't claim to be reality. There's a line here, but I want to make sure it's distinguished.

As the text you gave clearly shows, we're not supposed to turn to the magical arts, but only to God. But the bible never says, 'don't have an imagination or tell stories.'

These are stories, just like the Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings which so many Christians love... and believe it or not these stories aren't going anywhere for a long time. So I suggest you become familiar with them and not combative, learn what is good in them and use them as bridging points to talk about the Gospel.

The seventh book (which I'm reading now) deals with the issues surrounding death. It doesn't support a single worldview in doing this. Use this opportunity to share with youth about your hope in the Gospel. If you're combative you've lost to chance to witness to them.

2007/7/23 12:29Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

the difference between harry potter and the chronicles of narnia?

Is that the person writing the book is not openly a witch, as c s lewis was a christian and jrr tolken was a catholic. these stories by C S Lewis actually got me to read the bible. There are these verse about the bible. I have no problem with using your imagination as there are alot of symbols and images such as the tabernacle and the temple.

1Ti 1:4 - Show Context
Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

1Ti 4:7 - Show Context
But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

2Ti 4:4 - Show Context
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Tit 1:14 - Show Context
Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

2Pe 1:16 - Show Context
For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

2007/7/23 12:36Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

I ask one question
If I have a cup of water and it is clean and pure
I say drink you are more then happy to do so
but if I put dirt in it and it goes down the water still looks clean and pure but is the water still clean?

Sometimes things look clean but are full of drit

in his love
charlene

2007/7/23 12:38Profile

Re:

Quote:
But the bible never says, 'don't have an imagination or tell stories.'

It does say have NOTHING to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather EXPOSE them... by reading these type of harmless fictional books are we taking part in the fruitless deeds of darkness (witchcraft) or exposing them for what they are, workings of the devil?

Quote:
Use this opportunity to share with youth about your hope in the Gospel. If you're combative you've lost to chance to witness to them.

Actually you can just place some tracts in hte Harry Potter books next time you go to store, I recommend a catchy and biblically sound one like those at [url=www.wayofthemaster.com]www.wayofthemaster.com[/url]

In Christ - Jim

2007/7/23 12:38
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

or I could say here is a candy bar but you shouldn't eat it is not good for you. You might take the candy bar and eat it anyways. Thinking its just a little bad, but no real harm will be done to me.
But if I told you that the candy bar had posion in it, and would make you every sick.
You would stop eating the candy bar because you knew what was in it.

so if we truly see the posion in these things we know we must stay far away.

in his love charlene

2007/7/23 12:45Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

We cannot simply ignore the effect that these books have on this generation, and must prayerfully consider how we can best use them to reach this generationl for Christ.

Reading Harry Potter has given me the opportunity to open up a lot to the youth at our church. Of course I have read it with discernment -but God can use a donkey he can certainly use Harry Potter.

As I've already stated, the seventh book deals primarily with the idea of death... but it doesn't ever state where people go when they die. Have you stopped to consider how rarely the youth of the generation stop to think about the bigger questions of life and death.

This generation is bombarded on every side by advertising campaigns and different entertainment options. they have so many choices to choose from, and Harry Potter is only one of a million. But all of these choices have a common thread, they work to distract this generation from questions about their creator and about Jesus.

Harry Potter is a rare chance to confront this lack of clarity in our culture about issues surrounding death. Where Harry Potter cannot give an answer, we can proclaim the Gospel resoundingly.

As Paul used the Unknown God in Athens, we must use things from this culture, even Harry Potter, in order to point this generation to Christ. We need to use this as an opportunity to broach the subject of heaven and hell, and the sake of an eternity of separation.

I dare say, that if we are wise and seek God's wisdom, Harry Potter could be an open door for many young people to find and know Jesus -the only person with the power to save!

2007/7/23 13:01Profile

Re:

I think the guiding principle for all we do concering reading, watching or listening is summed up with this:

[b]Phillipians 4:8[/b] [i]Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.[/i]

I dont think witch craft fits into this category.

There is plenty of good fiction out there with which we can read and not violate the above scripture.

Personally, I find the more I study the Word and commentaries and teach the less time I have for fiction. I havent read any fiction in probably 2 years. Dont have time.

Krispy

2007/7/23 13:08
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

By the way, according to interviews and her personal website, JK Rowling and her husband Kirk are both members of the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian). And her husband is active in Christian aid work.

Once again, before we go around slandering people we need to make sure to cite our sources.

2007/7/23 13:11Profile

Re:

Quote:
By the way, according to interviews and her personal website, JK Rowling and her husband Kirk are both members of the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian). And her husband is active in Christian aid work.

oh, well then that changes everything...

2007/7/23 13:13

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy