SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Orthodox Statement of Faith?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Orthodox Statement of Faith?

James 1:26 ¶ If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Vain=3152 ma,taioj mataios {mat'-ah-yos}
Meaning: 1) devoid of force, truth, success, result 2) [b]useless, of no purpose[/b]

NIV says:

James 1:26 ¶ If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and [b]his religion is worthless.[/b]

This is verse we need take to heart.

2007/7/21 15:29Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

The mouth of the righteous is a well of life,
But the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil.

2007/7/21 15:32Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

[i]For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.[/i]
(Gal 5:13-15)

Nothing is so destructive to the peace of man, and to the peace of the soul, as religious disputes; where they prevail, religion in general has little place.

-Adam Clarke

2007/7/21 15:57Profile

Grannie Annie

I said what I had to say, and in no way did I imply that anything I wrote is more "annointed" than anyone on this forum, and you know it.

how "dare" I?

I got your "mail read", I've seen your type before, speaking of the "illuminati", and the "global elite", regurgitating pseudo-intellectual cyber spew passing as "fact", when all it is fear-mongering, supposition and just plain poor scholarship, and you dress it up in religious clothing. It's garbage. Do yourself a favor, just give my posts a pass. You've insulted me before on this forum, and I have a flaw that God and I are working on, I don't suffer fools gladly, nor I didnt appreciate what you said about me, when i was attempting to have heartfelt dialogue with Danielle, and you turned it into a sarcastic bit of ugliness, "do you love me"?

I would gladly share what I wrote to you in a PM, put a pm is private.

2007/7/21 16:01

Corey H

you wrote:

Quote:
I'm alarmed. I'm disturbed. And I wish more people were

alarmed and disturbed connote "fear". Fear is the opposite of faith.

2007/7/21 16:05
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

If Christ were speaking internally all the time, we wouldn't come out with the rubbish that we utter so much.

Leonard Ravenhill

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15142&forum=34&3]taming he tongue[/url]

2007/7/21 16:14Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Fear is the opposite of faith.

I don't really know what all is going on in this thread, but the below verses came to mind when I seen this statement.

Heb 11:7 [b]By faith[/b] Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, [b]moved with fear[/b], prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

2007/7/21 17:11Profile

Re: Corey H

Quote:
alarmed and disturbed connote "fear". Fear is the opposite of faith.

"By faith Noah, [i]being warned of God of things not seen as yet[/i], [b]moved with fear[/b], prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith." (HEB 11:7)

'nuff said. Later.

Edit: hahahahaaaaaa. Preach Parsley beat me to the punch on that scripture... hahahahahaaaaa...

By mere minutes!!! Oh, the providence!!!

2007/7/21 17:11

Sorry brethren, I haven't read through the whole thread yet, (nor any previous discussion between Patrick and Jesse), but I'd like to pick up on this statement by you, Patrick, and some of your other points (which I am trying to understand):

'Who is God long suffering towards? "us"
Who is the "us"? Christians
Any of who? in context, it would be Christians, as Peter is explaining to the believers why Christ has not returned yet, it is to finish bringing in His people.'

Perhaps you agree with me but didn't say so (inadvertently), that if the Lord is [i][b]still[/i][/b] bringing in His people, roughly two thousand years since Peter wrote this, then, in the temporal terms, (of His being 'not slack', or, His being 'longsuffering'), He [u]is[/u] being patient not only, towards Christians, but towards non-Christians, both of our generation and those still to come?

You had also said (by which, do not assume I am taking Jesse's part, please):

'Here is the verse you use-
1Jn 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.'

In a later post, Jesse corrects the verse he had used, but that doesn't explain your statement in reply (to the wrong verse):

... [b]Now nowhere does it say anything about Christ dying for sins of the whole world,[/b] and also, who is the "us" and the "we" referring to? If it is unsaved, then you have universal redemption, if it is to Christians, you have encouragement to them, in and through Christ and his work.'(emphasis mine)

Now, I wonder where [i]you[/i] place [u]John 1:29[/u]?

'The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, 'Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!'

Earlier, you had said: '...Notice it does not say "whosoever will be saved", but "whosoever believeth", and because we know that the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit, and that no man can come to Christ unless the Father draws him, believing is not something man can do on his own.'

Exactly; but unless Christ had already died for whosoever will come, there would be no use in those who [i][b]will to[/i][/b], to [u]come[/u] to Him. He has to have died for everyone in reality, not just in principle. Do you really mean you believe He [i]did not[/i] die for everyone?

His dying for you and for me was no use to us, until we believed. This is your point. But it must mean that He [i]has died for everyone[/i], yet only those who come to [i]believe[/i], and to keep believing (according to John's writings), [u]will[/u] [b]be[/b] [u]saved[/u].

Lastly, you challenged Jesse on [i]purchased with His blood[/i], here:

'2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Where does it say anything about being bought by blood? It is true that it says these were purchased, but by whom?'

This is indeed a scriptural statement:

Acts 20: 28
Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd [u]the church of God which [b]He purchased with His own blood[/b][/u].

Of course, when those for whom His once-for-all-eternal-death-for-them, have believed, they will move from being an unbeliever for whom Christ died, to a believer for whom Christ died.

Hebrews 10:12
But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God,

Please tell me if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, and be assured I believe in the sovereignty of God; perhaps, though, I would not express it in the same way as you do.

Note, that at the time of writing, I'm not sure what the contention is about.... I just picked up on what seem to be [i]gaps[/i] which I could fill.

2007/7/21 17:23
loveroftruth

Re: Warnings of Ezekiel

Hi Corey: :)

"If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people; Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head. He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul." (EZE 33:3-5)

Be careful brother. Receive the concern that is expressed and explained in this post.

That verse (All of Ezekiel Chapter 33 and Chapter 18)has proper use and authority only in the context of a warning that accompanies a proclamation and explanation of the gospel, the substance of which Paul outlines for us in ICor.15:1-3.

The "warning" is the exhortation that follows and complements the preaching and teaching of the gospel, not our concerns of international or cultural conflict and strife.

As an example of how the Holy Spirit demonstrated the proper use and application of the Ezekiel "warning" passages.

Note the Apostle Paul's inference to this "warning" of Ezekiel's watchmen as applying to the ongoing proclamation of the gospel and the teaching of disciples in a given community.

In Acts 20 he is addressing the elders of Ephesus and reminds then of his example of his ministry amongst the people of that city and the believers who were called into the church of our Lord Jesus Christ that was formed as the Holy Spirt worked mightily through such correctly motivated and correctly defined gospel.

Acts 20: (ESV)
24 But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. 25 And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again.

His priority and primary activity was proclaimng the gospel and highlighting the emphasis that it is a gospel of grace.

Let's continue with the verses that continue this discourse:

26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all of you, 27 for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.

Note vs.26: Paul is making the reference to the warning passages of Ezekiel.

The verse you quote retains heavenly authority only in it's Holy Spirit authoritative and inspired context of proclaiming the gospel.

A complementary but necessary component that accompanies the proclamation of the gospel of Christ.

Yes, it is a warning that urges men to flee from the wrath to come, only in the context of the God ordained priority and preeminence of proclaiming Christ: His person: His finished work:, His resurrection from the dead and His willingness to receive, redeem and transform sinners. Who He is: What He did: Why He did it: What He requires from men who hear and understand it: Why He lives today Resurrected and Ascended. Why He will return in glory: What He promises to do for those who submit to His authority.

Yes, Christ is also returning to culminate His work of redemption and carry out a "vengeance" that is His alone and is carried out in a manner and timing that is also His alone.

A vengenace on behalf of the Father and on behalf of His children who have suffered as a result of living and abiding in Him as they proclaim that gospel. It is not a vengeance against His saints. Whatever wrong His saints have committed is addressed through His discipline in the context of fellowship with Him and in His ongoing and final perfecting of their lives.

Sometimes the warning is more of an awakening of men's minds and consciences.

The "warning" or "awakening" is also a volitional and intellectual recognitition that God sovereignly harnesses and uses the concerted efforts of nations and their governments to awaken men to the futility of life lived apart from their Creator.

Consider Paul's reference to this reality in his proclamation of the gospel in Athens recorded for us by the Holy Spirit in Acts 17:

"26 And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, 27 that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him. "

Any warning of fleeing "from the wrath" that is divorced from the proclamation of the gospel , though well meaning is wrong when we recognize that we are "servants of Christ" and "steward's" of the mysteries of God. ICor. 4:1

The grace of God provides for such ministers of the gospel to cease from such practice and pursue a knowledge of the "doctrine" that promotes godliness from the motivation of love.

A kind of re-tooling of our doctrinal understanding: A temporary taking off line of our assembly line way of thinking before the production process of proclamation can return to full speed again.

ITimothy 1: Paul the Apostle once again clearly handing off the baton of doctrinal truth and ministerial practice that was to be a non neglected but full engaged priority of Timothy's authoritative ministry in Ephesus.

3 As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, 4 nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship [1] from God that is by faith. 5 The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, 7 desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.

Another element of warning that Paul consistently carried out is one of watching for, warning of, and confronting false teachers (wolves) that sought to enter the sheepfold.

Any work of God where a church is birthed, and is beginning to be established will be opposed by Satan not only through direct persecution but through subtle, clever infiltration. Satan's strategy is to manipulate not only wrongly motivated (unbelievers), but also misdirected and misinformed disciples.

Back to Acts 20: Paul refers to this defense of the gospel that paralleled hisproclamation and teaching of the gospel.

"28 Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, [3] which he obtained with his own blood. [4] 29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. 31 Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish everyone with tears. 32 And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified."

Again such warnings were bound up in the context of the priority of the gospel of grace and the premeinence of the word of grace.

Let's learn to define and put on the belt of truth together in standing in the Lord (first) and against the enemy (second).

God Bless You! :)

Your Brother.

Doug

2007/7/21 17:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy