SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A New Country Song That Satan Must Be Proud Of

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Worm wrote:

Quote:
Could it be that the south never really repented from the most satanic of sin visited upon this nation,

Worm, I do not know of any respectable Christian, even nominal ones who would say slavery was right. But you must also understand, the north had slavery as well, it was not only confined to the southern states. The Civil War was not about slavery; it was about States rights. If I recall, the stats say only 1 in 15 persons in the south owned slaves, and they were not all whites; Choctaws (an Indian tribe that lived in Mississippi) also owned slaves. The reason it was more widespread in the South was because it was more profitable because of cotton. And it should be noted that not all slave owners were brutal. Many were loved by their white owners. You can go to an old cemetery here and find blacks buried by their white masters. Having said all this, I must tell you what an old black man told me a few years ago when I interviewed him for the Mississippi Oral History program. He was a former officer of the local NAACP chapter: "I have lived in the south and in the north. The northern white people say they love the blacks but in actuality they hate the individual. The southern white in contrast says he hates the black [as a race] but in reality, they love the individual. " And he told me he prefers the latter.

Worm, the issue you raised is far more complex then a simple "since you had slavery, that is why deception is rampant in your part of the country." If you want to accuse and blame, I promise you there is enough to go around and no one will escape unscathed. When you stand before God Almighty on judgment day, God will not excuse your sinful behaviors because of some offenses that have come to your ancestors many years ago.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2007/7/20 16:37Profile
adamdawkins

Re:

Quote:
It is simply that [some] OSAS people say once you are saved it will not impact your lifestyle. So if you are saved, you can still live for the flesh and God will not judge you because you are still 'saved' and will still go to heaven. This philosophy is as widespread in the south as the fireants that plague our yards....

I think this is the problem elsewhere too.

I happen to not believe in OSAS - but I don't think that OSAS is the problem the way that Whitfield, Edwards etc used to present it.

My concern is, in this country (UK) and anywhere - people pray a prayer - we tell them they're in, and that if they doubt they're in - it's from the Devil.

I remember last year we had a youth conference at our church and there was a response call at one of the afternoon meetings, a girl put her hand up, and then later got given a Bible and a book etc and got told "well done, you're saved..." etc.

I spoke to her later that evening, she knew nothing of the resurrection, nothing of repentance, didn't know why Jesus died, what we believed as Christians etc - she put her hand up to say 'I want to know more'.

I spoke to her further, I made it quite clear what a Christian was and wasn't, and just left her to think.

A week or so later we were at church and in our youth group the lady leading the group asked "Who here is saved, filled with the Spirit, speaking in tongues?", "Who here is saved but has never been filled with the Spirit?" and then "Who here knows they have never received Christ?"

The girl in question boldly (I thought) as the only person in the room raised her hand, and a youth leader lent over to her and said "no no, you got saved at the youth conference remember?"

I think THIS is the danger.

If someone lovingly came up to me (whether you believe in OSAS or not) and said "Excuse me, the Bible says to 'test yourselves' so I'd like to remind you what the Scripture says about the regenerate man, and I think you should consider carefully where you are before Him, and whether or not you're saved" -

I wouldn't be offended, I'd be grateful. If someone tells me I'm saved all the time when I've never received anything of Christ, nor been born again, nor had any hint of holiness or change about my life, I will definitely not be grateful for every time they talked me out of the conviction of the Holy Spirit when it comes to that Day.

I wonder if preaching of OSAS is ever really effective, because those that hold to "if you went astray, something was wrong to start with" would still preach the same message to the backslider as the Arminean, and I think that's where Wesley/Whitfield found their common ground. Ok there was a disagreement about 'if you were ever there' but the criteria and proof (fruit) for the truly saved man is the same. It's the magic-word prayer combined with OSAS that is so dangerous.

The Paul Washer video on the homepage covers a lot of this very well.

May the true Bride walk in such purity and holiness in these days, that 'easy-believers' are unable to hold to their false assurance in light of such a holiness.

2007/7/20 20:21Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
May the true Bride walk in such purity and holiness in these days, that 'easy-believers' are unable to hold to their false assurance in light of such a holiness.

Amen Brother!

2007/7/20 20:26Profile
adamdawkins

Re:

Quote:
Quote:

Amen Brother!

This reminds me actually of something I heard Art Katz say once, about how the blame for the rise of Islam and Islamic terror rested with the Church, because when they looked at the Church they should see a holiness and a righteousness that makes them jealous - that they find difficult to condemn.

But instead the see the whole of the West as the Church, because the Church is often as sensual and unrighteous as the World.

Slightly off topic I suppose, but worth sharing I think. Humbling.

2007/7/20 20:31Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Kudzo, I think, is a better analogy! LOL

LOL

At least kudzo is edible! But fireants, ain't and they are in [i]my[/i] yard, back and front and around. My DH feeds them regularly but the pesky things refuse to die. Oh, they may get subdued but after a while there appears to be a ressurrection! lol About like sin.

ginnyrose

2007/7/20 20:37Profile

Re:

We dont get fireants too often up here in the mountains... but the other night we had a momma bear and two cubs come hang around our house for a few hours. We used spotlights and made all kinds of noise to drive them off... so what did they do? They climbed a pine tree. They were at least 65 feet in the air... about 20 feet from the house... just hanging out. I can only shoot them this time of year if they pose a threat, so I sat on our upper deck with a shotgun until 2am waiting for her to step foot on our lower deck. I could almost smell the bear roast! (It's a little on the greasy side, but oh man, it's very tastey!)

But alas... they finally came down and wandered back into the woods. Oh well... maybe next time!

Krispy

2007/7/21 6:59

Re:

Not just Country Music. Where will it all end? Now that was a silly question!!!!

John Lennon once enraged Christians by claiming that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus. The Church of England is now recognising the pulling power of rock stars by recruiting Bono, the singer and lyricist of U2, in its bid to boost congregations.

A Church of England bishop is to preside at this country’s first “U2-charist”, an adapted Holy Communion service that uses the Irish supergroup’s best-selling songs in place of hymns.

2007/7/23 11:35
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

thats interesting

2007/7/23 11:46Profile
adamdawkins

Re:

Quote:
The Church of England is now recognising the pulling power of rock stars

Ever since the Church of England abandoned the Gospel - it has had to look anywhere else for it's "pulling power".

I believe the U2-charist stuff has been going on in America for a while actually, I read about it ages ago. For the record, Bono is part of some Universalist movement and often 'preaches' about how great man is and about all of our potential and technology. At one gig in New York he repeated, like some mantra:

"Jesus, Mohammad, Jew - All true"

Reports of Christians at the event say even those who didn't what he was saying felt the bad shock-waves. Bono seems to be a true End Times preacher, just for the wrong side.

2007/7/23 19:33Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re:

Very interesting thread, thanks to all for the insights shared. Jesus continually warns of false teachers and deception as being rampant immediately prior to the onset of the tribulation time. If I strain a bit, I believe I can hear the coming hoof beats.
Come quickly Lord Jesus.
Blessings Greg

2007/7/23 21:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy