SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does Music Matter?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I agree w/ Ormly... when I'm weight lifting I usually listen to two Christian bands: one called "Saint" and the other called "Sacred Warrior". I'm sure most here havent heard of them, and most probably would not like them... but it works for me. :-) Hard to work out listening to Michael Card.

Krispy

2007/8/15 12:09

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
I agree w/ Ormly... when I'm weight lifting I usually listen to two Christian bands: one called "Saint" and the other called "Sacred Warrior". I'm sure most here havent heard of them, and most probably would not like them... but it works for me. :-) Hard to work out listening to Michael Card.
Krispy

Absolutely! Now about Sunday worship service and your emotions want to enter into the Holy of Holies where the Glory of the Lord is. What music will help you?

2007/8/15 12:14

Re:

Different styles of music are appropriate for different situations. And one style of music is not appropriate for all situations.

It's that simple.

Krispy

2007/8/15 12:57

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Different styles of music are appropriate for different situations. And one style of music is not appropriate for all situations.

It's that simple.

Krispy

Sorry, what is simple is you don't make that call. If you lead, then lead, don't accomodate because you FEEL you have only rockers in your midst and you must play rock/contemporary music. If you can't lead in purety unto the Lord and not unto people you wish to accomodate or please, absent the pounding of the guitar, regardless of the re-action or participation, you have no right to alter anything of the "sweet" praises to the Lord. It is God who does the gathering unto Himself --- not you or me. Sweet praises unto the Lord ususlly brings in response, a "sweet" breaking of the heart.

What I find missing today is the knowledge of the need of the "sweet" praise music that is still available unto the lord but has been squeezed out by a soulish music made acceptable by the false reasoning from un-reborn man, that it is now a music to persuade in lieu of the absence of the Holy Spirit who can't participate and since He never shows up "we must do something because something has to be done"....and see how the kids love it.

2007/8/15 14:09
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:

Absolutely! Now about Sunday worship service and your emotions want to enter into the Holy of Holies where the Glory of the Lord is. What music will help you?

Well when I see people up and dancing around in the aisles it sure doesn't make me want to praise the Lord.

It also bothers me that we have to have loud, blaring to get up and praise the Lord. I've watched services were people weren't really involved until it started getting loud. Is this true worship?

Same with "worship" concerts. I once watched a music video on youtube of a song that I normally don't think much of, but when I watched the people swaying and dancing it really turned me off.

Jordan

2007/8/15 14:29Profile

Re:

Quote:

HomeFree89 wrote:
Quote:

Ormly wrote:

Well when I see people up and dancing around in the aisles it sure doesn't make me want to praise the Lord.

It also bothers me that we have to have loud, blaring to get up and praise the Lord. I've watched services were people weren't really involved until it started getting loud. Is this true worship?

Same with "worship" concerts. I once watched a music video on youtube of a song that I normally don't think much of, but when I watched the people swaying and dancing it really turned me off.

Jordan

[i]"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge...."[/i] Hosea 4:6 (KJV)

If the root is dead how can there be life in the tree?

We who seek are responsible for examining the root and the kind of tree that has been planted, we are invited to embrace.

2007/8/15 14:54

Re:

Quote:
Sorry, what is simple is you don't make that call. If you lead, then lead, don't accomodate because you FEEL you have only rockers in your midst and you must play rock/contemporary music. If you can't lead in purety unto the Lord and not unto people you wish to accomodate or please, absent the pounding of the guitar, regardless of the re-action or participation, you have no right to alter anything of the "sweet" praises to the Lord. It is God who does the gathering unto Himself --- not you or me. Sweet praises unto the Lord ususlly brings in response, a "sweet" breaking of the heart.

You misunderstood me... I am actually agreeing with you. What I'm playing when I'm weight lifting isnt what I think is appropriate for a worship service stylistically. Thats what i meant by not all is appropriate all the time.

I'm not trying to accomodate "rockers"... the church family we're involved with would get a kick out of someone accusing me of trying to make people confortable...lol

Krispy

Krispy

2007/8/15 15:46

Re:

Quote:

What a judgemental, critical and unbiblical statement to make. When was the last time you read the Old Testament?

Seems to me (according to scripture) you have the wrong impression of God. God apparently loves it when His people worship Him with dance and with loud music.

I would also add a reminder that David's wife critisized him when he brought the Ark into Jerusalem and he [b]danced with all his might[/b].... and God punished her. Be very careful when you set up on your little throne and you pretend to judge other people's worship of God.

[i]Exo 15:20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with [b]dances[/b].

2Sa 6:14 And David [b]danced[/b] before the LORD [b]with all his might[/b]; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

Psa 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a [b]loud noise[/b].

Psa 98:4 Make a [b]joyful noise[/b] unto the LORD, all the earth: make a [b]loud noise[/b], and rejoice, and sing praise.

Psa 150:5 Praise him upon the [b]loud[/b] cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

Psa 149:3 Let them praise his name in the [b]dance[/b]: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psa 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and [b]dance[/b]: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Psa 30:11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into [b]dancing[/b]: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; [/i]

Krispy

2007/8/15 15:56

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:

You misunderstood me... I am actually agreeing with you. What I'm playing when I'm weight lifting isnt what I think is appropriate for a worship service stylistically. Thats what i meant by not all is appropriate all the time.

I'm not trying to accomodate "rockers"... the church family we're involved with would get a kick out of someone accusing me of trying to make people confortable...lol

Krispy

Krispy

:-D

2007/8/15 16:10
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:

What a judgemental, critical and unbiblical statement to make. When was the last time you read the Old Testament?

Seems to me (according to scripture) you have the wrong impression of God. God apparently loves it when His people worship Him with dance and with loud music.

I would also add a reminder that David's wife critisized him when he brought the Ark into Jerusalem and he [b]danced with all his might[/b].... and God punished her. Be very careful when you set up on your little throne and you pretend to judge other people's worship of God.

[i]Exo 15:20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with [b]dances[/b].

2Sa 6:14 And David [b]danced[/b] before the LORD [b]with all his might[/b]; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

Psa 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a [b]loud noise[/b].

Psa 98:4 Make a [b]joyful noise[/b] unto the LORD, all the earth: make a [b]loud noise[/b], and rejoice, and sing praise.

Psa 150:5 Praise him upon the [b]loud[/b] cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

Psa 149:3 Let them praise his name in the [b]dance[/b]: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psa 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and [b]dance[/b]: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Psa 30:11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into [b]dancing[/b]: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; [/i]

Krispy

You're right Krispy, there is dancing in the Bible, but not the type I'm talking about. When the girls are up and dancing, exposing their flesh that isn't holy or truly worshipful. Pure dance is when the Lord leads and you're not doing it in response to loud music or because others are doing it.

Would you call getting up at concerts and screaming the name of the artist and hopping around the aisle worship? My parents and I have seen this before at live concerts and music videos of popular artists.

I'm not just picking on dancing to rock music, there's wrong dancing to classical and other forms of music, too.

Jordan

2007/8/15 16:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy