SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christians won't work on Sunday's but they expect others to.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Santana

Christians won't work on Sunday's but they expect others to.

I know many Christians who refuse to work on Sunday's but yet they go to restaurants, pump gas, and do groceries because they know other people will be working.

What am I missing here?

2007/6/25 14:29Profile

Re: Christians won't work on Sunday's but they expect others to.

Santana:

Quote:
I know many Christians who refuse to work on Sunday's but yet they go to restaurants, pump gas, and do groceries because they know other people will be working.

Great point Santana. Boy am i guilty of this myself. I remember when i was just a teenager growing up that you could not find anything open on a Sunday. If you were lucky you might find a gas station open but then again were talking over 30 years ago. Sad how things have become.

Brother Julian

2007/6/25 14:39
Santana

Re:

I generally don't work on Sunday's (because I'm Christian :) but I was just thinking about all the things I do after church. Grocery shopping, pumping gas, watching the news, etc.

Would I be happy or sad if all those things were closed? I've been to muslim countries where all stores shut down during lunchtime because of prayer. (i was happy to wait because I respected that)

2007/6/25 14:45Profile
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re: Christians won't work on Sunday's but they expect others to.

This is just a thought I had but by no means what I would consider the answer to your question. I haven't actually thought about this much but what comes to mind is that God's instruction to His children don't apply to the heathen of the land. They are their own gods doing whatever they please. Serving themselves as god. In times of revival as I understand it often times you couldn't find any stores open at all. But that's the heathen. As far as should we be buying things on the Lord's day I can't say for sure. I don't just because the occasion doesn't arise for me in my current situation.

2007/6/25 14:53Profile
running2win

Re:

Something else I just recalled that I heard Keith Daniel say; You can judge the spiritual state of a nation by the respect it has toward the commonly accepted day of worship.
That's not an exact quote but that's the thought anyway. I think it's pretty accurate too.

2007/6/25 14:54Profile
Santana

Re:

Off the subject...I kept thinking about a verse in my head about seeking God's face. I searched this morning for that verse and I came to Psalm 27:8. IT's what I'm meditating on today.

I should've just waited for your response :-)

I guess were just gonna have to have another revival.

2007/6/25 15:32Profile
running2win

Re:

Quote:
I guess were just gonna have to have another revival.

You're exactly right!!! It's coming. I honestly believe that. God promise we'd seek Him and find Him when we search for Him with [b]ALL[/b] our heart. I seek Him night and day to work again like He has in the past. Bless God for His faithfulness to His promises!

sorry, this was off subject too.

2007/6/25 15:42Profile

Re:

Let me ask you this? Why dont you work on Sunday? Are you still trying to live by the OT law, or are you free from the Law in the name of Jesus?

I'm not against having a day of rest, it is a sound Biblical principle. But Christians treat not working on Sunday as if is was commanded of us in the NT... like most believe tithing is for the NT Christian.

Paul even said one man keeps one day holy, another man keeps another day holy...

So whats the big deal about Sunday? Show me in the NT after Christ rose from the dead where we are taught that Christian should not work or recreate on Sunday.

Again, I'm not against it! I'm just asking where we got that "law" from. Why do we do it? Why do we strive to uphold the OT law so vigorously when Christ fulfilled it?

Krispy

2007/6/25 15:59

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:

Again, I'm not against it! I'm just asking where we got that "law" from. Why do we do it? Why do we strive to uphold the OT law so vigorously when Christ fulfilled it?

Krispy

Hi Krispy, I look at it like this. I have been freed from the Law, to live by the Law. Not because I have to, but because I want to. Christ saved me, and nothing I can do will make me go more to heaven and be accepted by God, because only Christ can do what I cannot. Because of this great act of love, taking my sin and giving me His righteousness, I now strive to live by the Law because Christ deserves the best life from me. But I'm not forcing myself to live by it, I do it to praise Him for what He has done.

I once beat myself up because I kept sinning, thinking to myself, 'Would I do this if I was a [i]real[/i] Christian?' And Christ spoke very clearly to me, He said, 'It's not about what you've done, but what I've done.'

Hallelujah.

2007/6/25 17:28
Santana

Re:

The truth is I work with a Christian who refuses to work Sunday's.

The boss knows not to ask him but he asks me to come in. I think he gets confused because were both Christians but only one of us refuses to work on Sunday.

I don't think there's anything wrong with working on Sunday, I just try to avoid it because I need the rest.

PS - Have you seen CHARIOTS OF FIRE? Isn't that what the whole controversy was about?

2007/6/25 18:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy