SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Can women preach/teach in church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
actually prophesying means to speak by divine inspiration. preaching is the lowest form of prophesying. also paul taught that God set in the church first, apostles, second prophets, third evangelist then pastors and teachers. if that is so and that is the order then why is a women allowed to hold a higher office as a prophet but not as a preacher (evangelist) or a teacher or pastor. that would not make good sense.

We need to distinguish between prophets and prophesying. I have driven a bus, but I am not a bus driver. I prophesy but I am not a prophet. It may be significant that Philip's daughters prophesy but Agabus is a prophet.

There are a few assumptions here that have probably been talked through earlier in the thread. I don't think it is accurate to say that preaching is the 'lowest' form of prophesying. Prophecy, teaching, preaching are all distinguishable functions in the New Testament. However teaching may include prophecy and some preaching; preaching may include prophecy and teaching etc., Nevertheless preaching is not prophecy and teaching is not preaching.

2004/10/5 10:49Profile
Crysddd

Re:

religion always splits hairs about everything..the bottom line is the first person ever to be told to go preach was a woman...why are religious men so afraid of women preachers??? I am a male pastor and was a traveling evangelist, I have seen women pastors and they were very good pastors so there is no arguement as far as I am concerned....it is amazing that they can recieve the same Holy Spirit as the apostles in the upper room but they can't preach????

2004/10/5 12:59Profile
Crysddd

Re:

Quote:
We need to distinguish between prophets and prophesying. I have driven a bus, but I am not a bus driver. I prophesy but I am not a prophet. It may be significant that Philip's daughters prophesy but Agabus is a prophet.

what about the women mentioned in luke, "Luk 2:36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher: she was of a great age, and had lived with a husband seven years from her virginity; " if the scriptures are by divine authority then the Holy Spirit called this women a prophet....

2004/10/5 13:03Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Crysddd says:

Quote:
it is amazing that they can recieve the same Holy Spirit as the apostles in the upper room but they can't preach????

Hey Philologos, He's got a point! ;-)

The Evangelist

2004/10/5 13:32Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

his mind is far above our minds. Question do we follow the word or rewrite it, are we followers or improvers of his word. there is a king and I'm not him. I made a choice to follow where he leads. he made me and all that there is in heaven and earth. there is no vote in heaven for a new leader this YEAR.

2004/10/5 13:41Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
what about the women mentioned in luke, "Luk 2:36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher: she was of a great age, and had lived with a husband seven years from her virginity; " if the scriptures are by divine authority then the Holy Spirit called this women a prophet....

There are several prophetess in the Old Testament; Miriam, Deborah, Huldah, Isaiah's wife, and Anna. (these are the good ones!) The question I was addressing was 'can a woman preach/teach in church. Everything I have said relates to the woman 'in church'. 'Outside the church' is a different world.

2004/10/5 14:31Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

let God be true and every man a lier. "there is a differnce between testimony and preaching". Oswald Chambers I will hide your word in my heart that I mite not sin against you. was Paul correct in his writting to the churches every where? I know I am to follow orders and not question them. and having done all we must stand upon the sure foundation.

2004/10/5 15:02Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
it is amazing that they can recieve the same Holy Spirit as the apostles in the upper room but they can't preach????

Personally I am very happy about women preaching.

2004/10/5 15:09Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

Well you are happy but is Christ happy about them preaching? he answered questions by the world with "as it is written" when we question his word we are quetioning him for he is the word. god ask men to do some things in this world are we as men going to take the easy way and let others do our work? Adam did and look where we are today. I'm happy to follow his word as he is my leader.

2004/10/5 15:58Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Quote:
Well you are happy but is Christ happy about them preaching?

This statement is none other than foolishness brought on by a cheuvenistic mentallity.

Quote:
his mind is far above our minds. Question do we follow the word or rewrite it, are we followers or improvers of his word.

Try digging a little deeper than just the surface. II Tim. 2:15-16

2004/10/5 16:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy