SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Can women preach/teach in church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

I believe women shouldn't be pastor of a church. I believe that a the pastororal position was a position that God had intended for a man and he only. Pastor = Bishop (I Tim. Chapter 3)

The Evangelist

2004/10/6 10:35Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Evangelist

Quote:
Pastor = Bishop (I Tim. Chapter 3)

I know I must annoy you and I wish I didn't but the scriptures you quote do not make this equation. I think you mean that elder = bishop/overseer. It is true that elders were charged with the pastoral care of the flock as Paul said to the elders from Ephesus; "Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers (bishops), to shepherd (or pastor) the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. (Act 20:28 NASB)The multiple eldership/oversight is being reminded of its collective responsibility. There is no record of single 'pastor' churches until 50 years after this statement.

Now if you say an elder must be a man, I would agree with you.

2004/10/6 10:57Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Philologos quote "There is no record of single 'pastor' churches until 50 years after this statement."

About the quote brother...it doesn't mean there weren't any. (In love and not hatred)I disagree. The office of the Bishop and Pastor are on and the same. Most Pastors were raised up out of the local church.

2004/10/6 11:11Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
The office of the Bishop and Pastor

We talked a little about this elsewhere. If overseer/bishop - pastor were synonymous terms it would mean that all overseers/elders/bishops were pastors. Although all the elders in the oversight shared the pastoral responsibility there is no biblical reference to a 'pastor' in the sense of the leader of a local assembly. This did not occur until the end of the 1st century and was contested even then.

2004/10/6 13:28Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Quote:
We talked a little about this elsewhere.

No, WE never, you and Greg did.

Quote:
Although all the elders in the oversight shared the pastoral responsibility...This did not occur until the end of the 1st century and was contested even then.

Then that would've made them PASTORS brother. The second line - What BIBLICAL, NOT HISTORICAL proof do you have of this? I would like to know more about what you're teaching and the roots of it though. God bless, and Glory to the Lamb!

The Evangelist

2004/10/6 15:56Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
No, WE never, you and Greg did.

I think the valid point brother Ron is making is that there are 20,000 posts in the forums and for you to jump in and discuss matters oblivious to the rest can be a type of ignorance. There is a search function that you can utilize and if you are seeking answers to certain questions and doctrines and it would be good to search out in the forums first before going to post your own opinions. There are many people that have been on these forums for a whole year time and I would respect that as much as possible.

2004/10/6 16:22Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Then that would've made them PASTORS brother. The second line - What BIBLICAL, NOT HISTORICAL proof do you have of this? I would like to know more about what you're teaching and the roots of it though. God bless, and Glory to the Lamb!

I think you do not really want a discussion, what you want is a fight. I have neither the time nor the inclination for a fight. Perhaps someone else will oblige you.

2004/10/6 17:24Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Quote:
I think you do not really want a discussion, what you want is a fight. I have neither the time nor the inclination for a fight. Perhaps someone else will oblige you.

No, Honestly, I want to know your reasoning for it and where your information regarding this teaching is from. I have no intentions of fighting. You can ease up a little brother. I did not say anything rude to you that would cause a fight, did I? If I have I sincerely ask that you'd forgive me. However, surely you must be able to back up what you said, must you? God Bless.

2004/10/6 17:29Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

how dose that go.. honey and flys well that is if your looking to find fly's.
I once was young and now am older. and I see we've learnd little in our moveing thru time but to think that we are learning by confrontanion, and the younger having little respect for thous who are of age. and this is called progress.
we question the word of god and call it seeking knowledge; being theological. what a wonder it would be to God himself if we were to just follow his word. Hmm what a thought.

2004/10/6 23:23Profile

Re:

Thanks for your reply Ron i appreciate it. I could quote much of what you said that really spoke me. You seem to have the gift of approaching scripture with an open mind seeking only the truth. As a result God reveals much hidden truths.
I agree i truely don't believe women are to be totally silent and i belive we are allowed to preach, it's just this issue of 'teaching'.

Quote:
I do not allow a woman to teach... I have often wondered just what "teaching" means in these letters. When we think of a "teacher" we think of a Bible expositor or something similar, but a "teacher" or someone "teaching" in the Corinthian assembly would not be giving an exposition of 1 Corinthians!

This is very true! This gives me a good starting point to study this topic for myself. I want to be open to what God has to say i seek the truth for myself (with the wisdom of those older and wiser!).
I don't want to rub salt in a very deep and open wound but i can't help but notice that this whole arguement is mainly between men and a lot of women seem comfortable with what they personally believe. Just an interesting point i noticed.
Also i believe what we call church today is very very different to what we have wriiten in the new testament. Today we have all these rules, regulations, titles, denominations.....The early 'church' seemed to have the spirit in a cocentrated form and love for one another abounded! Acts of the apostles should be Acts of the early church.
I think we can narrow in on one passage of scripture, taking it out of context that we miss the bigger picture, which often involves lterally standing back and looking at it from the perspective of the bible as a whole.
In his love, Geraldine

2004/10/7 3:59

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy