SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Women: to wear or not to wear pants?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

One more thing... I have heard some around here (meaning in NC) use the verse in Duet about men and women not wearing clothes of the opposite sex as a reason for women wearing dresses and not pants. I think I agree with those on here that say the verse is addressing transvestites.

This area of NC was settled by Scotch-Irish. The Hilanders in Scotland loved the Blue Ridge and Smokies because it was a lot like the Hilands of Scotland. What did Scotsman wear? Kilts. uhmmm... wouldnt they be skirts? But no one looks at Braveheart and considers his attire to be feminine.

People native to this area of NC are extremely proud of their heritage. They brag on the Scottish ancestory. Many of these people are the "dresses only" folks, yet their male ancestors who they love... wore skirts.

I'm not saying women should wear pants, but I hear what some are saying that women's pants are not necessarily masculine. My wife probably wears jeans or pant suits or capris maybe a third of the time... and I have never once considered them to be masculine. You sure aint gonna see me mistakenly putting her pants on. Besides, they're too small for me. :-)

Krispy

2007/6/8 8:10
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Yea, no ponytails on this guy. I still sport the "high & tight" standard issue Marine Corps cut. But I do have a gotee... which is turning salt & pepper as I approach my 40th b-day this fall.

And I do stand 6'-1", 215 lbs. and was still lifting weights until I messed up my shoulder last year. My chiropractor is working diligently to repair the damage. Did something to pinch off a couple of nerves in my neck. My wife thinks one of the nerves goes to my brain.

God help me... here I go again... In our circles muscle shirts have a more sinister name of disdain 'wife-beater' (I hope I can say that respectfully but it is a common phrase around men especially). When the term is used it is usually because the men think the guy wearing it is trying to show out. Even the men who work out hard as body- builders who may be much larger and 'buff' don't wear them (even ex-marines ;-). I knew of a guy who was always going around in a tank top. They people grew almost to hate the man. They always believed he was trying to get the eyes of their wives and such. I don't know if that's what those men were thinking in Krispy's case- but I'm just trying to keep it real based on what I have witnessed. If you were to ask the guy about why he wears his tank-tops all the time he would act quite innocent. But the perception of the men who see him doing it is quite hostile. It's not a religious thing. It's a manly thing.

2007/6/8 8:18Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: Women: to wear or not to wear pants?

I followed this thread all day yesterday and the Lord has used it to bring much needed change into my life.

When I got saved, one of the first things the Lord dealt with me about was my manner of dress. I didn’t hear it from a sermon or from another believer, but from the Spirit of God. So I got rid of all the mini-skirts and low cut blouses and bought new clothes that I felt like would be pleasing to the Lord. This mostly consisted of long skirts and loose fitting tops. During this time of my life as a new believer seeking to draw close to the Lord, the thing people noticed about me was not my appearance or my figure – it was the beauty and radiance of Christ that they saw. Over the course of time, I began to incorporate more “professional” looking clothing into my wardrobe, but during a recent time of seeking God I felt like He was dealing with me again about my clothing. Reading the posts in this topic about what a stumbling block this is for men just broke my heart because I have been guilty of this. My desire for attention, which should have driven me to the feet of Jesus, instead found satisfaction by dressing in a way to draw attention to my figure.

Last night I cleaned out my closet and bought new clothes. Today I feel that I am dressed the way a woman of God should dress – modestly. I truly desire that my appearance would bring honor and glory to Him again and that Christ would be my beauty.

2007/6/8 8:24Profile

Re:

Quote:
God help me... here I go again... In our circles muscle shirts have a more sinister name of disdain 'wife-beater' (I hope I can say that respectfully but it is a common phrase around men especially). When the term is used it is usually because the men think the guy wearing it is trying to show out. Even the men who work out hard as body- builders who may be much larger and 'buff' don't wear them (even ex-marines . I knew of a guy who was always going around in a tank top. They people grew almost to hate the man. They always believed he was trying to get the eyes of their wives and such. I don't know if that's what those men were thinking in Krispy's case- but I'm just trying to keep it real based on what I have witnessed. If you were to ask the guy about why he wears his tank-tops all the time he would act quite innocent. But the perception of the men who see him doing it is quite hostile. It's not a religious thing. It's a manly thing.

Robert... could be. Growing up on a farm thats what we wore on those hot summer days. I dont think anything of it. Perhaps in certain situations I need to be more aware of it. There are many ways to make someone stumble, and if causing those kinds of feelings in another man is what I am doing... then I need to consider that next time I go to do any physical labor with them.

And I'm not what I consider to be buff. I have a friend who was a pro-wrestler (I HATE pro-wrestling, but this guy is a gentle giant) who got saved and left that career. He's 6'-5", 275 lbs and tattooed (pre-salvation) from head to toe. He can bench press 350 lbs. He's buff... I look like Barney Fife next to him... lol.

Thanx Robert for a perspective I hadnt considered. I'll chew on that.

Krispy

2007/6/8 8:27

Re:

Quote:
I followed this thread all day yesterday and the Lord has used it to bring much needed change into my life.

Wow... thank you for sharing... and welcome to the forum! You're first post!

Thats just incredible that God used this thread to speak to you. That made my day! God bless you, sis.

Krispy

2007/6/8 8:30
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

BrokenOne,

Thank-you so much for sharing your testimony. Is it not awesome what God will do in one's life when we submit to him? And it is not that difficult when we are totally submitted, is it? It takes a crucifixion of the self-will. It would be nice if all you had to do it is once...Paul says he dies daily. If he had, we must too.

Mind if I share something? Five years ago our third son got married. In sewing a dress for myself for this event, I decided to sew a beautiful applique on it. I spend lots of time hand stitching (I love to sew). It looked pretty, trust me. In the meantime there was this nagging voice saying, "but Sandra, that is too fancy." Just like a stuck needle on a phonograph record. I ignored it because the Bible does not specifically say you cannot sew anything like this on your dress.

I went to bed that night. And this voice was relentless. Finally, I said, "OK, Lord, if you want me to remove this in the morning, I will." I slept well the rest of the night and did as promised the next morning.

God bless you, my dear.

ginnyrose

2007/6/8 9:04Profile

Re:

Krispy, I was thinking of two things.

This thread was outstanding. The views varied so much, yet we were able to share from our hearts and all were excepted.

What makes me worry is, say we didn't know you and your wife from Adam, and you both showed up at our Churches or some volunteer function, and not knowing you and your family, how many would treat you as you were treated at the tent raising ?

It just troubled me, that is easy for us to throw things around here and even you admitted that you've Grown since being here regarding your responses and all. You have grown in that area and I'm glad you're still here.
But that was one question that came out of this thread for me.
If we didn't know Krispy, would we except him showing up at our volunteer event or how would we ? How do we judge ?

How do you get to "know" someone ?

The only folks who know me or you are our family, friends, our Church folks and those who've worked with us.

To think we know the heart of anyone, by cloths or through a monitor, etc. is judging and dangerous.
Do the people here Krispy know you as your wife does or as the Lord does ? No, of course not ... nor is anyone else "known as they are known".

I reckon that's the strongest point that came through in this. Judging is wrong unless you have all the inside scoop or understanding or knowledge of a person.

Modesty must come from the heart first. True modesty comes from pure honesty.

Good to see chanin post and all the others.

Blessings and thank you Krispy, etc., for a very enlightening thread. It's blessed and educated.

Love.
Annie

2007/6/8 10:22

Re:

Quote:
I reckon that's the strongest point that came through in this. Judging is wrong unless you have all the inside scoop or understanding or knowledge of a person.

Mmmm... good stuff there.

I know once in awhile I get into a discussion on here about Bible versions, or something similar, and I almost always get a very negative PM from someone who is new to the forum... and they have this impression of me that couldnt be further from the truth.

The impression they sometimes have is that I've always lived a sheltered life, I use Brell Cream in my hair, my black plastic framed glasses are held together at the center with a white piece of tape, and along with my black slacks and black shoe I wear white socks. Oh... an I sleep with a tie on.

Oh... and they almost always think I'm around 60 years old.

I always get humored when someone thinks they have me all figured out.

Even tho it doesnt look like I'm gonna get to Canton, OH... I wish I could because I would love to see the look on people's faces when they meet me face to face and find out... I'm just me. I love to make people laugh, I love to make people think, and I dont look like what most people think... I think I'm a nice guy. Not a Bible thumpin', hollerin' & screamin', frothin' at the mouth type. But thats the impression some people get of me on this forum.

How do we get to know people? Well, frankly it's hard to do here. And it's hard to do in church too. This is one reason why we house church. Looking at the back of someone's head for 90 minutes on Sunday morning is NOT fellowship, yet many in traditional churches think it is. The conversation after the service rarely gets any deeper than "How was your week? Good to see ya this morning, brother..."

And we call that our "church [i]family[/i]"?

In the first century church the Bible tells us they shared everything... not in a communist way, but if someone had need, everyone pitched in and met it. They ate together all the time. They were a close knit bunch.

Thats not happening in 95% of traditional churches today... even tho most churches think it. Trust me... it isnt.

Krispy

2007/6/8 11:19
JennRich

Alabama

Re:

Quote:

Roniya wrote:
Yup, I know them. My parents knew Jim Bob and Michelle before they had any kids! We recently saw their new home; they live a couple hours from us. It's is awesome how God is using their testimony on secular tv.

Umm, I think we're hijacking Krispy's thread. :-o Sorry Krispy! Maybe we can get back on topic here!

I'm an accessory to the hijacking, ha . . . this really did have to do with wearing dresses. . . anyway, that's amazing that you know them, and that you've seen the new house! It is amazing (from what I've seen on TV) and I wish I could go visit them or something. My husband probably thinks I'm crazy because I watch the programs about them over and over (I have them on video), but they're just so encouraging to me.
Jennifer

2007/6/8 13:34Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I use Brell Cream in my hair, my black plastic framed glasses are held together at the center with a white piece of tape, and along with my black slacks and black shoe I wear white socks. Oh... an I sleep with a tie on.

Jerry Lewis on steroids - yup, that's how I pictured Steve. He forgot to tell us about his bucked-teeth (this is where the name "Krittr" comes from). It's okay. People tend to think I'm this huge nerdy guy too...but then they see me in a suit and think I look like a hit man. Never judge by cyber appearance (right, Steve?)

Brother Paul :-P

2007/6/8 15:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy