SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Women: to wear or not to wear pants?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Women: to wear or not to wear pants?

My wife and I recently visited an Independent Baptist Church. This church has a tremendous testimony in the community. I find myself in agreement with 95% of their teachings.

So, on a week when we changed the day our house church meets due to people being out of town, we decided to visit this church.

The service was great, the preaching was outstanding. Wish the people were a little warmer toward us, but being "house churchers" we more accustomed to hospitality than most traditional churches are.

Anyway... one thing my wife picked up on was every single woman there had on a dress. She did too... but she wondered if the church had a rule about women and pants.

We know a few of the people in that church, and my wife ran into a them this week, and she noticed... they all had dresses on at the store. My wife had on Capri's, I think they are called.

To make a long story short, my wife discovered that they do not think that women should wear pants... no matter what. And if it's an activity that would make wearing a dress inconvenient, then it is not an activity that Christian women should be involved in. Even something like horse back riding.

Being a gracious soul, my wife figured if thats their conviction, so be it. As long as they are doing it unto God... fine. Kinda like the head covering issue.

However, it resulted in my wife not feeling like getting too involved with these ladies because she would feel uncomfortable around them. Nothing against wearing dresses, but we dont share their "conviction" about it. And my wife refuses to dress like them in order to "fit in" because then she would be a fake.

I agree with her.

Had anyone ever run into this? Does anyone have this conviction? I'd love to have a discussion about this because I'm curious about where this comes from.

I think we all agree that modesty if of utmost importance. Is it that they consider pants immodest? Certainly skin tight jeans and stuff are out of the question for a Christian woman, but what about pant suits, loose fitting pants, capris, etc?

Oh... and in this church men do not wear shorts... ever. That rules me out! LOL

Krispy

2007/6/7 9:26
Tears_of_joy

Re: Women: to wear or not to wear pants?

Hi Krispy,

Quote:
I'd love to have a discussion about this because I'm curious about where this comes from.

I hope this would be a profitable and edifying discussion for searching the will of God in this matter and not just out of curiosity.

Here is one encouraging and beautiful testimony with open and searching heart for the Lord's work - [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15724&forum=35&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0]Testimony 1[/url]

And here is also other testimony for the Glory of God - [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16212&forum=44&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0]Testimony 2[/url]

Also other wonderful testimony - [url=http://moriefamily.com/03%20Testimony.htm]Testimony 3[/url] (Standards for the Home Part)

Quote:
Does anyone have this conviction?

Yes, my church has the conviction that women should wear dresses and skirts (not pants).

I would like also to share the personal testimony of my mother (with her permission):

I will tell you a little background about her. One year after my conversion, she became Christian also. Her life was completely transformed.
She is dressmaker, she is doing this all her life, from a little girl until now. Now, I don't know is this practice in US, not that here is so common practice, people are buying clothes from stores, but there are someone for example coming to my mother, with desire of specific model in their heads, and she is making this dress or skirt( and pants in the past).

Very soon after her conversion, the Lord convicted her about wearing pants and quickly she stopped wearing pants. And almost every women in our church don't wear pants, mostly long skirts.
And this is very rear to be seen among Christians today, most churches would consider you legalistic.

Now, not so long after that, she stopped sewing short skirts and other unmodest dresses (very open etc). Of course that cost her a lot, because maybe 30-40% of requests were such. But she took stand for that, and when costumers were coming she testified to them why she is not sewing such dresses and she did share her testimony about how the Lord enter her life and transformed her thinking and action. Most of her costumers were going out our house with bibles and gospel tracts.

After that she had a bit struggle sewing a pants (for women), and she decided also not to sew pants, since she is not wearing them. Of course that caused decreasing of her customers and of course significant smaller income, but she took stand for that, it cost her , but obedience costs everywhere and anytime. But the Lord blessed her in so many other ways. Now she is continuing to sew wonderful modest dresses and skirts for the glory of God.

May the Lord bless your heart,
Kire

2007/6/7 10:36Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Deut 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. (KJV)

This would usually be the verse that these churches use to justify this teaching.

Now, there are cultures around the world throughout history where women have worn pants, historically, and they were not considereded men's clothing. It is our own western mentality that women's clothing = dress and men's = pants.

In fact, when the time that this verse was written, both men and women wore virtually the same things. They wore an undergarment, a robe and a tunic. Women would sometimes wear veils or head coverings. But besides accents and colors we're lead to the impression that the form of the clothing that they took was virtually identical, and not in any way related to what we would consider women's clothing today.

In fact, I think the verse isn't meant to discourage the wearing of cloths as much as it is about adopting the nature, attitudes and position of the other sex. I don't think that anyone in this forum would disagree that men of God should act like... men! And that women of God should act like, well, women.

Now acting like a woman doesn't mean that you're always feint or you can't carry your weight... no actually the opposite. Wasn't it Rebekah who watered 10 camels? Have you ever stopped to think how much a camel drinks (she had to lift that much water out of the well).

The verse is intended to discourage unnatural gender roles.

Wearing pants is cultural. When the bible was written, even men wore dresses... well robes. The writer of this verse didn't have pants in mind, he most likely wasn't wearing anything that would be associated with pants in the modern sense of the idea.

2007/6/7 10:37Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Does anyone have this conviction? I'd love to have a discussion about this because I'm curious about where this comes from.

I think we all agree that modesty if of utmost importance. Is it that they consider pants immodest? Certainly skin tight jeans and stuff are out of the question for a Christian woman, but what about pant suits, loose fitting pants, capris, etc?

I don't think it bad for a Church to support modesty, and even say that some things are inmodest. I think if they truly out obeying God and because this what has put each of the women then I think it is a wonderful thing. If they Love God then they would understand that your wife dosn't have the same convictions. It might be good, to know why all wear the dress?

Does anyone have this conviction?
yes I do, I think in alot ways plants are inmodest. We just like wearing them. I guess my rule is if make even one guy stumble then I shouldn't wear it. after going to colllege and looking at all the plants the women were weraing God convicted me, that I need to wear dress.
I think we don't how bad they can be sometimes. I know I was blind to fact. 100 years ago there would of been no promble. We got so far away from wearing dress, now its wride to think about wearing them all the time. But I think it is a very good thing.
So yes I could see saying that plants are inmodest.

charlene

2007/6/7 10:45Profile

And they call me a legalist ?

I feel for your wife Krispy. When I very first got saved, just a month or two in Christ - I went to the laundra-mat in slacks.
A lady there asked me, "Don't you think you're going to hell in those pants ?"

Being scared to death of losing my Salvation, I shook all the way home and prayed like crazy.

The Lord, in HIS mercy and grace spoke in His still small voice and though I didn't know the Bible very well (of course) it was clear as a bell that I should open to Deut 22 and felt a strong admonition to read the whole chpt, plus some.
After doing so, I began to cry in relief. You see I'm really very afraid of "displeasing Him" and whenever these things happen, I feel like a child running to Daddy to let me know if I did something wrong or not.

Well, he showed me very plainly that this pertained to things that either were or bordered on transvestite, etc, behavior.

I think woman should wear loose fitting cloths, modest tops etc and not short-shorts, I like capris too and that's as short as I go in public too, but that's about as far as I go with this External Legalism.
Where we live also, the outward dress people look down on all of the other Christian, and you can see "that look" from them and it's sad - Because if they judge another's salvation - they're the ones in trouble of judging and not understanding Salvation.

Not that my opinion matters much. But I know what the Lord spoke to my heart when I heard clearly to open to Deut 22 (which I hadn't even read any O.T. yet, so how would I know where to look --- GOD is GOOD) ... so I don't' feel that part is "my" opinion.

Bless you all up yonder.

Edit: When I started to type my reply, there were no other Replies up yet.

I also pray this isn't a point of contention.
I respect other's views, as long as they don't condemn other's to hell for theirs.
Thanks.

2007/6/7 10:46

Re:

Quote:
I hope this would be a profitable and edifying discussion for searching the will of God in this matter and not just out of curiosity.

...of course, thats what I was implying.

Krispy

2007/6/7 10:52
Tears_of_joy

Months ago I heard a wordly commentator making program and investigation why today women are not dressing like women. And he was asking women, why they wear pants. It was quite interesting to hear how one man who is not Christian and not know the bible to make such comments. And where the Church stands in all of this?
Average fellow from the world years ago I believe was dressing more modesty than average Christian today. I remember my grandmother and other older women giving comments of sort, 'Son is it not shame today women to be dressed like men?'
The standard has fallen so low.

2007/6/7 10:55Profile

Re:

Quote:
yes I do, I think in alot ways plants are inmodest.

Really? I've often thought that tomato plants were very immodest, and I know corn stalks have been a stumbling block in my life.

:-P

Just having a little fun with your misspelling!

Krispy

2007/6/7 10:59

Re:

Quote:
Where we live also, the outward dress people look down on all of the other Christian, and you can see "that look" from them and it's sad...

Yes, I experienced that "look" recently. The Baptist churches in our county had a week long tent meeting. I emailed one of the messages from that meeting to some people on this forum.

The day they set up the tent they put the word out that they needed help. This was a huge "big top" tent. So I rousted my two oldest out of bed early that Saturday morning, and we went up to help.

There about 25 - 30 men there to help... I was the only one in shorts and a "muscle" shirt. The shorts were camoflauge "cargo" shorts, the kind that have a lot of nice big pockets down the leg, ya know. The "muscle" shirt was simply a t-shirt w/out sleeves, and on the front is a huge cross with a lion on it with the name of the youth wrestling club I coach, and on the back it says "THE LORD IS MY STRENGTH".

Had my ball cap on backwards.

Was wearing my old Marine Corps boots.

Boy... you should have seen the looks I got. Now, the pastors there were very nice to me, I will say that. It helps that I know a couple of them personally. But the regular Joe's that were there to help out were literally gawking at me.

I didnt think I looked that wierd, but to them, I guess I did. I was there to work, I wasnt there for a fashion show. And there were no women there at all... so if I caused anyone to lust, well... that dude has other issues. LOL

Not being one to care a whole lot about what people think of me, we just pitched in and worked up a good sweat.

...but do you think anyone would talk to me? Nope.

I'm all for people following their convictions, but when it becomes a thing where they look down their noses at people who may not share their convictions... thats sin.

Krispy

2007/6/7 11:13

Re:

Quote:
The standard has fallen so low.

No question about that. I agree. And I enjoy hearing from you sisters who share this conviction. See, this is what I wanted... and honest discussion, and testimonies for or against. It helps me to understand this conviction some have. I really want to learn...

Krispy

2007/6/7 11:14

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy