SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Strong Warning From The Backsliding Of Solomon -poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Would someone who wrote books in the Bible, God's Word, be in Hell?

Hear you brother but ...

Joh 6:70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

I am inclined towards finding it difficult to believe it could be such, but not knowing either way ... seems even more difficult to state so. I find these kinds of final judgments very ... speculative and wonder why sometimes we want to do so. Zac's warning is just that, a warning, I don't agree with his [i]conclusion[/i] on this matter though.

2007/6/3 10:27Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

I have been thinking about whether Solomon is in heaven or hell. I have been grieved to think that one who once seemed to show the signs of spiritual life as Solomon did could possibly be in hell.

Zaz Poonen, said that the Holy Spirit would have told us in one of the two accounts if Solomon had repented. I can see his argument, but i am not sure. Perhaps in His infinite wisdom the Holy Spirit did not include in Holy Scripture an account of Solomon's repentance in his old age because he didnt want Christians to have any encouragment toward backsliding thinking they too like Solomon could just repent in there old age and all would be ok. What do you think?

I had always been taught that tradion says that Solomon did repent and wrote Ecclessiaties at the end of his life. Brethren i have a question- do you think Ecclessiaties is a repentant book? I mean do you think it is a book written from a repentant heart, or just a regretful heart?

One scripture that i think is important is

2 Sam 12:24

"Then David comforted Bathsheba his wife, and went in to her and lay with her. So she bore a son, and he called his name Solomon. Now the LORD loved him,"

I am no Hebrew expert, what type of love was this love? It always seemed to me that God's love to Solomon was discriminating, electing love and i dont like to think that God'r electing love could be frustrated even by a mans years of unfaithfulness.

I guess with all these thoughts, the Holy SPirit has not made it clear to us to warn us of the danger of backsliding. May the Lord keep us from this evil and may we watch over our own hearts diligently.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on some of my questions though. Thanks

2007/6/7 8:39Profile
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

Quote:
I am no Hebrew expert, what type of love was this love? It always seemed to me that God's love to Solomon was discriminating, electing love and i dont like to think that God'r electing love could be frustrated even by a mans years of unfaithfulness.

It was not just a matter of unfaithfulnes with Solomon but of idolatry and immorality. The question is, "did Solomon repent like david of his sins or did he go to the grave a hardened and unrepented sinner?" The bible is not clear on this matter, it seems like the scriptures are silent about the 'fate' of Solomon.

May be Ecclesiastic was the last book Solomon wrote before he died, may be at the end of his life he realized the vanities of life and regreted and repented of his sins. We dont know for sure where Solomon is now?

I read few days ago the article of Zac Poonen in the webside of his church it almost convinced me but i still have questions and uncertenties about the matter. His arguments are very convincing but there is something inside me that makes me not pronounce a "judgement" wether he went to hell or heaven. I prefer to keep silent and wait that GEAT DAY where God will unveil such mysteries and reveal the truth about Solomon.

2007/6/7 9:52Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Wonderful discussion and very soul searching. Greg, thank you for posting that article.

My prayer is that in the future, no one has this type of discussion about me!

2007/6/7 14:39Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

Well does anyone have any insight about the verse i quoted?

"2 Sam 12:24

"Then David comforted Bathsheba his wife, and went in to her and lay with her. So she bore a son, and he called his name Solomon. Now the LORD loved him,"

What type of love is this? Is it an electing saving love? Im very interested by this scripture

2007/6/8 5:48Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
Would someone who wrote books in the Bible, God's Word, be in Hell?

This doesn't seem at all out of the question to me, since God is using the devil to write history and uses the ungodly to speak into the lives of the godly all the time. However, I can think of no other potential author of Scripture who is not considered a holy man, a saint whose home is in heaven. Still, wisdom literature is a whole different genre from prophetic texts and revelations of the spirit.

2007/6/8 9:36Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

2 Sam 12:24-25

24 Then David comforted Bathsheba his wife, and went in to her and lay with her. So she bore a son, and he called his name Solomon. Now the LORD loved him, 25 and He sent word by the hand of Nathan the prophet: So he called his name Jedidiah, because of the LORD.

Jedidiah literally means Beloved of the Lord

Scripture clearly teaches that the Lord loved Solomon.

Was Solomon elected by God to salvation or to task? I believe the latter, because Solomon did not repent.

2007/6/8 10:58Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

Quote:
Was Solomon elected by God to salvation or to task? I believe the latter, because Solomon did not repent.

So did Solomon write Ecclesiastes as a bitter, regretful but unrepentant man?

We dont know that he did not repent from scripture, do we? Ok, so we dont know that He did repent either, but doesnt church tradition teach that he did turn back to the Lord in repentance and write ecclesiastes?

And are we to conclude that God's love failed on Solomon? How can one 'beloved of the Lord' (a very intimate term and named so i add from his birth, before he could possibly have done anything to earn or merit this love) end up in hell?

I know this could open up a discussion on the does the Lord love everyone topic which i know has already been discussed on here a few times. I personally believe that God does love everyone, i think the Bible teaches that (whilst still hating workers of iniquity simultanesouly) yet i believe scripture also teaches that God has a special love for His elect, a saving love. Surely these ones are the Jedidiah's? Surely it is only the elect who could be called 'beloved of the Lord?'

2007/6/8 11:36Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Concerning Solomon:

1 Kings 11
1Now King Solomon loved many foreign women, along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women, 2from the nations concerning which the LORD had said to the people of Israel, "You shall not enter into marriage with them, neither shall they with you, for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods." Solomon clung to these in love. 3He had 700 wives, princesses, and 300 concubines. And his wives turned away his heart. 4For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods, and his heart was not wholly true to the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. 5For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites. 6So Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the LORD and did not wholly follow the LORD, as David his father had done. 7Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for Molech the abomination of the Ammonites, on the mountain east of Jerusalem. 8And so he did for all his foreign wives, who made offerings and sacrificed to their gods.

9And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice 10and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods. But he did not keep what the LORD commanded.

What does Nehemiah say?

Nehemiah 13
23In those days also I saw the Jews who had married women of Ashdod, Ammon, and Moab. 24And half of their children spoke the language of Ashdod, and they could not speak the language of Judah, but the language of each people. 25And I confronted them and cursed them and beat some of them and pulled out their hair. And I made them take oath in the name of God, saying, "You shall not give your daughters to their sons, or take their daughters for your sons or for yourselves. 26Did not Solomon king of Israel sin on account of such women? Among the many nations there was no king like him, and he was beloved by his God, and God made him king over all Israel. Nevertheless, foreign women made even him to sin. 27Shall we then listen to you and do all this great evil and act treacherously against our God by marrying foreign women?"

Solomon's marrying of foreign women was a great evil and a treacherous act against God. Did Solomon repent? Did God overlook this sin?

2007/6/8 15:15Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Solomon's marrying of foreign women was a great evil and a treacherous act against God. Did Solomon repent? Did God overlook this sin?

I think the key here is to understand that by 'foreign women' we are talking about women that refused to assimilate into the Jews Religion and on the contrary proselyted the people of God towards heathen gods. There are several accounts of non-Jewish women who did cleave unto the One True God.

2007/6/8 16:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy