SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : HELP!!! - I need resources on the Sermon on the Mount

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

HELP!!! - I need resources on the Sermon on the Mount

Greetings!

I am currently doing an in-depth study on the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7). The Lord has me going back to foundations - study of the basics, and how to break them down and explain them thoroughly to others.

We are at a crises time in Christianity! The foundations of our faith have been entirely messed up and we need to get back to the Old Time Gospel! We need to be personally and intimately familiar with the Lord's teachings, and I believe that for far too long a great too many of us have failed in this matter. Many of us can quote a thousand quotes from old time revivalists and men of God from the past, but when it comes to quoting the sayings of Jesus, we get dumbfounded! When it comes to understanding the parables of Jesus, many of us are ignorant to their meanings and practical applications! We've developed a thousands cliques that idolize men of God but we ignore the basic and essential teachings of the Lord Himself! My God, have mercy!!! --And yes, I'm preaching to myself as well.

We preach about a thousand subjects and sub-subjects but fail to teach all men to observe whatsoever Jesus specifically commanded!

Anyway, if anybody knows of any exceptionally good sermons, powerful commentaries, or other free resources to help me get more divine insight into the sermon on the mount, that would be wonderful. Though we shouldn't lean on men, sermons, and commentaries for our understanding of the Word of God, He has still put teachers in the church for a reason. Any suggestions???

2007/5/4 13:22

Re: HELP!!! - I need resources on the Sermon on the Mount

video teachings on the sermon on the mount:

http://shepherdserve.org/video.htm

2007/5/4 13:26
hmmhmm

Sweden

Keith Daniel - Sermon on the mount............ powerful.....

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4230

2007/5/4 13:27Profile
repentcanada

Re:

Brother Josef, seriously fast and pray. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you.

2007/5/4 13:31Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!

Quote:
I am currently doing an in-depth study on the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7). The Lord has me going back to foundations - study of the basics, and how to break them down and explain them thoroughly to others.

There is a whole series of messages on the sermon on the mount by J. Glyn Owen that I have enjoyed listening through. Here is one of my favorite messages from that series:

[b]Sermon on the Mount: Salt of the Earth[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4731

Here is another good sermon on that subject by Keith Daniels:

[b]Sermon on the Mount[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=1858

[b]Sermon On The Mount (video)[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4230

2007/5/4 13:35Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Doesn't Paris Reidhead go through the Sermon On the Mount in "The Right Use of the Law?"

For some reason I think he does, maybe not though. I don't have speakers on this computer to find out, but that sermon comes to mind.

2007/5/4 13:45Profile

Well, here's a lead the Lord gave me recently.... that He was describing attributes of Himself. Now that may sound corny, but it made a lot more sense to my spirit than anything I've heard before. It follows on my beginning to grasp how counterintuitive to the flesh it is to follow Christ. But I see that following Him truly begins only with 'I in you'....

John 14:20
At that day ye shall know that I [am] in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

John 15:4
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

The 'poor in spirit' are the abused. I recently began to think of some of the ways Jesus the Man had experienced some of the traumas which other children experience. For instance, from a very early age He knew Joseph was not his natural dad (Ps 22), His mother had had to hide during her pregnancy, laboured without a female member of her family by her side, and He was not even born at home with the help of a midwife on hand. This is all very isolating. Then, all the other boys of His age were brutally murdered by Herod. How did that make Him feel? He was an isolated example of His own peer group. The only others His exact age would have been foreigners. His own siblings were hostile... He was dragged away from the temple where He was in His element at the age of twelve, to be subject to a manual job. Plenty of OT history for how that kind of service pleases God, but it might not have been [i]His[/i] first choice... All this time, He was aware of His calling, but unable to do anything for the afflictions around Him in other people... How did He cope?

Mark 3
20 And the multitude cometh together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread.
21 And when his friends heard [i]of it[/i], they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

No wonder... He brings the kingdom of heaven to the poor in spirit.

I have no idea if this is any help, or if these are so glaringly obvious I'm the last to [i]see[/i]. I often feel this way... :-(

2007/5/5 9:32
philologos

Reading, UK

There are a number of messages on Sermon Index by [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=151]Les Wheeldon[/url] who is a longtime friend and colleague in the work of the gospel.

Les' style is what I call 'a teaching preacher'. He now lives and works in Singapore and is constantly travelling throughout the world. He also did a series on [url=http://wiki.biblebase.com/index.php/The_Gospel_according_to_Matthew]The Gospel according to Matthew.[/url] which can listen to or download from my own site. You will find lots of solid content here and a special gift for applying the truth to the hearer. Session 5 would be a good place to start although the last few minutes of Session 4 are also relevant.

I would be interested to hear your comments.

2007/5/5 10:00Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

This might come as a shock to some on this board, but as good as Keith Daniel's "Sermon on the Mount" message might be, it is not exactly an exposition. And the thrust of the Sermon on the Mount, contrary to Keith's sermon on it, is not about being salt and light. Rather, the Sermon on the Mount is about inward righteousness.

If you really want an outstanding exposition of the Sermon on the Mount, with some real meat on it, I cannot recommend enough the following read:

[b][u]Studies in the Sermon on the Mount[/u] by Martyn Lloyd-Jones[/b]

This book is a collection of sermon transcripts that Martyn Lloyd-Jones delivered from his pulpit over about the course of a couple years. It's about 600 pages altogether. Don't let the size of the book scare you though, it is a rather easy read. I've yet to complete in full, but have read most of it.

If you are really serious about studying the Sermon on the Mount, read over it anytime you have 15 minutes on your hands. By all means, get it in you. And if you are looking for another resource, really tackle Lloyd-Jones book. For you will find that anything written on the Sermon on the Mount in the past 50 years will ultimately make reference to Lloyd-Jones book, for it is the definitive classic work on the subject.

2007/5/5 11:26Profile

Re:

Praise the Lord!

Thanks everybody - will keep me busy for a while. Any more suggestions, keep them coming!

Quote:
Brother Josef, seriously fast and pray. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you.

Amen. I agree. Nobody should look at what man says until he's first sought out, listened to, and heard what God says about His own Book.

2007/5/5 13:18

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy