SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : ephesians

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
coolcap2007

ephesians

I have trouble with ephesians. Im not sure why. I pretty much understand the whole of ephesians, but If people ask me questions about specific scripture i would be unable on some.

1-when god says praise be to the god and father of our lord jesus christ who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing. VERSE 3.. i dont understand. blessed us with everything as in what? i understand that god has blessed us but what does it mean by EVERY blessing

2-oh and if we are to be holy and blameless in his sight then why will be be judged. i never understood this.

3-accordance is used a few times. what is accordance...agreement?

4-in verse 8 it says "that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding...im not too sure what it means.

5- CONFORMITY, what is the definition.

6-REDEMPTION definition

7-i guess im not sure what revelation is in this context... it says in VERSE 7 "i keep asking god to give you the spirit of wisdom and revelation so you may know him better" how can we know god better by having wisdom and revelation and shouldnt we have wisdom and revelation?

8- VERSE 18...i pray also that the eyes of your heart my be enlightened so that you can know the hope which god has called you...i feel that it talks about the heart because the heart will let us feel that we can understand gods love better and understand how jesus died on the cross for us so we can live for him and understand hes the only thing to live for...is this correct?

9-VERSE 23 "we are the fullness of christ" i paraphrased it...does this mean since we are his body that without the church a piece would be missing from god cus missing your body is missing a piece? so then it wouldnt be fullness?

Im sorry i asked so much its just that ive been reading the bible for so long and i dont know how else to get all these questions answered..people have asked me stuff and sometimes i dont know what to say, but my pastor always knows. I want to be like that

2007/5/3 22:02Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: ephesians

Quote:

1-when god says praise be to the god and father of our lord jesus christ who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing. VERSE 3.. i dont understand. blessed us with everything as in what? i understand that god has blessed us but what does it mean by EVERY blessing

Jesus Christ lives perpetually in heaven at the right hand of God. And we as believers, who are united with Him in spirit, enjoy all the blessings that Jesus Christ enjoys in heaven at the right hand of God.

And what is the right hand of God? God the Father does not literally have a right hand. But the phrase "right hand" is symbolic, denoting authority, power, and favor. Thus, we as believers enjoy the same spiritual authority of Christ, the same power, and the same favor. And this place that Christ sits now is above all principalities, powers, and wicked forces in heavenly places. Thus, instead of being subject to the tyranny of the "god of this age" as the rest of the unsaved world is, we have victory over him.

As a result, we as believers can live the life Jesus lives here on earth, as though we were at the right hand of God in heaven. Thus, we no longer are slaves to sin and bound to obey the lusts of our flesh. Rather, we can walk in victory over sin. Likewise, all the love, joy, peace, etc. that Christ enjoys at the right hand of God (which is a lot!) is ours to enjoy as well!

This is an important truth to grasp. If you come to truly have a revelation of it, this truth will change your life.

2007/5/3 22:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

2-oh and if we are to be holy and blameless in his sight then why will be be judged. i never understood this.

Ultimately, we will all be judged because God has so ordained that all men be judged :-) But, the reason that the believer will be judged is to determine the rewards due to him for his work. He's not being judged so as to determine if he is fit for heaven-- he is fit for heaven because of the work of Christ. But the eternal rewards he will receive will be in proportion to what he did here on earth. You reap what you sow. This is in keeping with God's justice.

2007/5/3 22:22Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

3-accordance is used a few times. what is accordance...agreement?

To be according to something is to be in keeping with it, in agreement with it.

2007/5/3 22:25Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

4-in verse 8 it says "that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding...im not too sure what it means.

Christ has "lavishly" given us the things from verse 7 (redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, all through His grace). And He did these things through the great wisdom and understanding that God has.

2007/5/3 22:29Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

5- CONFORMITY, what is the definition.

For future definitions, you should probably simply consult a Bible dictionary/concordinance if you have one. If you don't have one, a regular dictionary is not a bad thing to consult either.

But you could think of conformity as simply "lining up with" or "in agreement with."

2007/5/3 22:32Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

6-REDEMPTION definition

Simply put, to "redeem" something is to pay for it. Thus, if you go to the grocery store, you "redeem" a coupon at the register. Christ has "redeemed" us, that is, purchased us, with His own blood. He paid our price by His death on the cross.

2007/5/3 22:34Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

7-i guess im not sure what revelation is in this context... it says in VERSE 7 "i keep asking god to give you the spirit of wisdom and revelation so you may know him better" how can we know god better by having wisdom and revelation and shouldnt we have wisdom and revelation?

I'm not sure what translation you are using. However, this is like any relationship with any other person. The more you get to know a person and their ways, the more you understand them. Thus, we should pray that God would continue to cause us to grow in the knowledge of Him so that we can draw closer to Him, and better minister to others with that knowledge we have of Him.

2007/5/3 22:37Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

8- VERSE 18...i pray also that the eyes of your heart my be enlightened so that you can know the hope which god has called you...i feel that it talks about the heart because the heart will let us feel that we can understand gods love better and understand how jesus died on the cross for us so we can live for him and understand hes the only thing to live for...is this correct?

This is a good understanding, yes. I would also add that we should desire our hearts understand these things so we can better understand God's ultimate plans, and that part we play in those things.

2007/5/3 22:41Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

9-VERSE 23 "we are the fullness of christ" i paraphrased it...does this mean since we are his body that without the church a piece would be missing from god cus missing your body is missing a piece? so then it wouldnt be fullness?

We being the "fullness of Christ" is a difficult phrase indeed. But basically the thought in this passage is that we as believers, are the embodiment of Christ. That is, we are to show His character in our lives, and to be like Him in every way that He is.

2007/5/3 22:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy