SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Campus Crusade students killed in massacre - Mission Network News

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Campus Crusade students killed in massacre - Mission Network News

Original: http://mnnonline.org/article/9819

USA (MNN) -- A South Korean students on the campus of Virginia Tech is accused of gunning down 32 students and professors Monday in the largest mass murder case ever in United States history. Virginia Tech police identified the shooter as Cho Seung-Hui (joh sung-wee), a 23-year-old South Korean national and resident alien.

About 500 students are involved with Campus Crusade for Christ on Virginia Tech's campus. Campus Crusade's Tony Arnold is in Blacksburg, VA. He says some of their students are among the dead. "Several of our students were killed. Three that we know were involved with either Campus Crusade for Christ or with one of our sister affiliate ministries called Valor. There's also another student that is not officially listed yet, but since no one has been able to reach her we believe she must be among the casualties."

The Campus Crusade victims include Matt La Porte, Jerrett Lane, and Mary Read, who had signed up to be a student Campus Crusade leader next year.

Arnold says they're trying to take care of the emotional and spiritual needs of their staff and students involved with them. He says Campus Crusade students were e-mailed questions that will help, and they believe it will be helpful "to meet briefly and to go through those questions together to help them to begin to process their emotions, how they're doing personally, how they're doing collectively, corporately, and how they're doing spiritually."

Arnold says the trauma and grief is limiting evangelism. "It may be several days before some of the non-believers here are emotionally able to even cope and begin to grasp spiritual opportunities. We're available to them. We want to help them."

Campus Crusade has a resource that can help these students and others around the world who are affected by this tragedy. "We have a website, EveryStudent.com. On the homepage there now, the top article addresses the question, 'Where's God in the midst of tragedy?'"

Arnold would like Christians to pray that "while the rest of the country is glued to their television sets, they would be glued to the Lord and to each other." Pray that they will be a shining example to those who don't know Christ.

2007/4/19 10:22Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Campus Crusade students killed in massacre - Mission Network News

With a campus population of 28,500 Campus Crusade, with 500 members, only makes up .017% of the student body.

With 32 victims of this massacre, and four of them being members of CCC that means that .125% were members of Campus Crusade.

Campus Crusade is taking a big part of the burden, maybe it's God's Mercy that he took people that knew him and gave other's who didn't a chance to turn to Him.

2007/4/19 10:27Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

[url=http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=25424]Baptist Press[/url] reports that at least two of the students, Rachael Hill and Brian Bluhm were active in their respective church communities.

2007/4/19 10:41Profile
repentcanada

Re: Campus Crusade students killed in massacre - Mission Network News

this is encouraging, thank you

2007/4/19 11:09Profile
Isaiah64

Re:

Thank you for that. I'll continue to pray.

One thing that grieved me though is that on that Everystudent site the Gospel presentation starts with "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life." Imagine telling this to the students who just experienced this awful trajedy. Someone needs to tell them to change that.

2007/4/19 11:17Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

After reading several profiles of the victims online, it appears that at least 4 more of the victims were deeply involved in their local churches, one was even involved in missions.

If this had happened at my alma mater you'd be lucky to get 1 in 32.

In the midst of this tragedy we know that God was bringing home several people to Himself.

2007/4/19 11:19Profile

Re:

Yeah- I didnt want to say anything, but Campus Crusade for Christ is a main culprit in propogating a false cheap grace gospel. Just look at their 4 spiritual laws tract.

I do hope that their students who were killed were soundly saved. Life is but a vapor.

in Christ - Jim

2007/4/19 11:24
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Dude, rest it.

If 'your' gospel is so big, then go out and change the world, otherwise don't complain about what other churches and groups are doing.

2007/4/19 12:15Profile

Re:

Ian-

We have had this talk before right here on sermon index. I suppose with that attitude you would have stood with the false prophets of jeremiahs time. I am not saying anything prophetic or new, Ray Comfort, Andrew Strom, Paul Washer and many other speakers on this site have said the same thing.

[about Campus Crusade] < edited
Maybe you are convicted of something?

In Christ - Jim

2007/4/19 12:19
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Paul Washer, as far as I know doesn't take cheap jabs at any organizations and refrains from using specific names of individuals, churches and organizations.

Even if you disagree with what someone else is teaching, to call them false prophets, people on the ground doing God's work... that's wicked in itself. I'm looking sin in the face.

As far as i'm concerned, you probably don't even know anyone from Campus Crusade, or haven't even talked with any of them...

EDIT: moderator unsuitable words used.

2007/4/19 12:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy