SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : End of 69th week

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

Regardless of whether or not the covenant was made and/or confirmed, the point is that Jesus is the person in scripture who makes/confirms the covenant.

It is speculation to say that antichrist makes/confirms a covenant because scripture does not say he does.

You user name is Logic, well let's be very logical in this for a moment, does it make more sense for Daniel to be talking about the Messiah's new covenant that was the fulfillment of the promise made to Abraham, the Messiah who would fulfill all of the things decreed in the prophesy, or does it make more sense that Daniel is talking about a future secular ruler who will only take up 7 years of history?

Scripture is filled with references to the covenant Jesus would bring. But, there is one verse in scripture that "might" refer to a future secular ruler who makes a peace treaty with Israel.

I am fully convinced by the Scriptures.

Also, let's be honest with each other, the only reason someone even think that the "ruler to come" is the antichrist is because some Dispensational theologian told them. That is how I learned about it, and I rejected it because it was speculation and not based on scripture.

2007/4/4 21:53Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: Explaining Daniel and the 70 Weeks of Years

[b][color=006699]Wow! What a lot of confusion to wade through here, with all four of you, LoveGrace, JaysSaved, Logic, & Compliments all partly right, all quoting good scriptures.

I'd like to answer the questions you've all put to each other, even if it means some repetition of topic, for you four have all searched the scriptures, seeking to find what is right.

The difficulty, I believe, results not from any of you being wrong or right, but from not telling the whole tale, as it were, in context, and sequence. By discussing the bits and pieces, I think a great deal of misunderstanding of what you have all been trying to say has crept into the discussion, since not all of you are talking about the same things, even when your texts are the same. So, please, bear with me as I try to make one comprehensive picture of what you have all been saying, for the benefit of those that are reading this thread, and may be wondering what you are all trying to say.

Oddly, all the main parts of prophecy, the Suffering Servant Messiah, (Jesus Christ in human form, but of divine making); the Messiah the Prince, the King in Glory (also Jesus Christ, but in His Glorified Body), and the Anti-Christ,(The Prince to Come) are all in the same prophecy, along with the critical timing issues.[/b][/color]

[b][color=993300]KJV DANIEL 9: 24. Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity,and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.[/b][/color]
[b][color=006699] This covers the entire 70 weeks of years of punishment decreed upon Judah.[/b][/color]

[b][color=993300]25. Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks,and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.[/b][/color]
[b][color=006699]This covers the first 7 weeks of years of the 70 weeks of years, and pertains to the rebuilding of the temple, and the finishing of the builing of Jerusalem. If you recall, when Jesus said He could destroy the Temple, and rebuild it in 3 days, speaking of Himself, the Pharisees laughed at Him because it took over 40 years to build the actual Temple.[/b][/color]

[b][color=993300]26. And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself:.[/b][/color]
[b][color=006699]After the 62 weeks of years that passed between the completion of the temple,was the day that Jesus Christ died, not for His sins, but for ours.[/b][/color]

[b][color=993300]and the people of the prince that shall come:[/b][/color]
[b][color=006699] If you note, the writers of Daniel were very careful not to capitlize the letter 'p' in 'the prince that shall come': This is critical, for the prince spoken of is the prince of this world, Lucifer. This speaks of the final 7 years of the 70 weeks of years decreed upon the Jews. [/b][/color]

[b][color=993300]and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.[/b][/color]
[b][color=006699]This speaks to when the battle of Armegeddon shall destroy the city and the sanctuary, and the return of Christ in Glory.[/b][/color]

[b][color=993300]27. And he,[/b][/color]
[b][color=006699] the prince to come, Lucifer,
[/b][/color]
[b][color=993300]shall confirm the covenant with many: [/b][/color]
[b][color=006699] This a treaty between the Anti-Christ, and the current State of Israel.[/b][/color]

[b][color=993300]for one week (of years):[/b][/color]
[b][color=006699] The politician that Lucifer uses comes to power over the entire world, on a peace plan, which is denoted by the First Horseman of the Apocalypse riding a white horse, and carrying only a bow, with no arrows, denoting that he conquers by diplomacy. This politician, with Lucifer controlling what the politician does, will enable him to become leader of the whole world, and he will personally guarantee the peace of Israel for 7 years.[/b][/color]

[b][color=993300]and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate,[/b][/color]
[b][color=006699] Midway through the 7 year treaty, Lucifer posseses and indwells the politician he has used, and goes to Israel, sits down in the mercy seat, and declares himself to be God. This is the Abomination of Desolation.[/b][/color]

[b][color=993300]For the next 3 1/2 years, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.[/b][/color]
[b][color=006699] This covers the whole 2nd half of the Great Tribulation, up until the Messiah, Jesus Christ, returns as the Prince of Peace and King in Glory, to reign over the earth for a thousand years. At that time, the judgement of the sheep and goats take place, which decides who dies, and who lives during the Millenium, at the end of which the Great White Throne Judgement is held.

I have simplified the above explanations, not attaching proof quotes, which all of you are very competetant in looking up, mainly to keep the line of events consistant, as it covers about 2500 years, and in a mere four verses pours out the whole future of the world. And since we are nearly at the end of this time sequence, we must be careful to explain all things as clearly as possible.

Blessings,
[/b][/color]

2007/4/5 6:44Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

UniqueWebRev,

I love you brother, but your post was nothing more than speculation. There is no scriptural proof for any of the following:
1. The “prince to come” being the devil or the AntiChrist.
2. A treaty between the antichrist and the nation of Israel
3. The Antichrist being a politician that is indwelled by the devil who rules a one world government.
4. This one world leader (Antichrist) allowing Israel to rebuild the temple and have 7 years of peace. (Honestly, how does a leader guarantee peace for just ‘Seven’ years?)
5. That this one world leader (Antichrist) will stop this peace treaty 3 ½ years into it and sit down on the mercy seat declaring himself to be God.
6. The 70 weeks/sevens prophesy lasting 2,500 years.

I heard a very good example. Let’s say that I borrow $100 from you and tell you that in 70 days I will repay you all of the money. What would your reaction be--on the 70th day—if I tell you that there is a “parenthesis” between the 69th and 70th day that will last over 10 years. I tell you that my repayment clock has stopped! I tell you to wait for the 70th day because it has not come yet.

Absurd isn’t it! Brothers and sisters we need to stop believing all of this hype and speculation about the end times. The Left Behind books are fiction and it has done much damage to the church. I pray that God would open everyone’s eyes to the truth of Daniel’s prophesy of the coming Messiah.

Also, maybe Ron Bailey can help us understand why the Prince in one verse is capitalized and it is not in the other, does Hebrew or Aramaic have capital letters?

2007/4/5 9:39Profile

Re:

Uniquewebrev said:

Quote:
which all of you are very competetant in looking up, mainly to keep the line of events consistant, as it covers about 2500 years, and in a mere four verses pours out the whole future of the world

What your presenting is a gap theory, and that is all that it is a theory, based upon nothing.

Please consider these verses of scripture in the light of the gap theory.

Quote:
Ezekiel 12:22 Son of man, what is that proverb that ye have in the land of Israel, saying, The days are prolonged, and every vision faileth?23 Tell them therefore, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will make this proverb to cease, and they shall no more use it as a proverb in Israel; but say unto them, The days are at hand, and the effect of every vision.24 For there shall be no more any vain vision nor flattering divination within the house of Israel.25 For I am the LORD: I will speak, and the word that I shall speak shall come to pass; it shall be no more prolonged: for in your days, O rebellious house, will I say the word, and will perform it, saith the Lord GOD.26 Again the word of the LORD came to me, saying.27 Son of man, behold, they of the house of Israel say, The vision that he seeth is for many days to come, and he prophesieth of the times that are far off.28 Therefore say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; There shall none of my words be prolonged any more, but the word which I have spoken shall be done, saith the Lord GOD.

2007/4/5 12:15
Logic

Re:

Quote:
JaySaved wrote:
Regardless of whether or not the covenant was made and/or confirmed, the point is that Jesus is the person in scripture who makes/confirms the covenant.

How is it that Dan 9:26 the "Messiah" and the "prince that shall come" are one person?
seince they are two people, the "he" in Verse 27 is reference to the "prince that shall come" and not the "Messiah"

Quote:
JaySaved wrote:
You user name is Logic, well let's be very logical in this for a moment, does it make more sense for Daniel to be talking about the Messiah's new covenant that was the fulfillment of the promise made to Abraham, the Messiah who would fulfill all of the things decreed in the prophesy, or does it make more sense that Daniel is talking about a future secular ruler who will only take up 7 years of history?

in context with Capters 7 & 8 that is talking about future secular rulers.
For the "7 years of history" is the "Time of Jacobs' [b]Trouble[/b]", not the time of Messiah's new covenant.

[b]Dan. 9:25
Know, then, and understand.[/b] This is a command to "know and understand"
[b]to restore and to build Jerusalem[/b] Ref Neh. 2:1-8. Daniel is told that a decree to restore which had been broken down by Nebuchadnezzar and his army. There is some debate over which decree it was and its exact date. The decree, generally accepted, is that of Artaxerxes, issued approximately 445 B.C. when Jerusalem was to be restored.
[b]unto the Messiah the Prince[/b] or until the Anointed One, or the ruler, which is Jesus
[b]shall be seven weeks[/b] or 49 years,
[b]threescore and two weeks[/b] or sixty-two or 62 x 7 years which is 434 years:
[b]the street shall be built again[/b] which is in Jerusalem
[b]and the wall[/b] which is of Jerusalem shall also be built again Ref. Neh. 2:17-18; 6:15-19,
[b]even in troublous times[/b] or in times of trouble Ref. Neh. 4:-6:14.
This gives a total of 483 years, leaving one week or one period of 7 years left.
The seventy weeks are divided into three parts.
[b](1)[/b] Seven weeks or 49 years. This may also have covered the rebuilding in troublous times.
[b](2)[/b] Sixty-two weeks or 434 years. This covered from the end of the 49 years to, perhaps, the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem before His crucifixion. These weeks are all fulfilled.
[b](3)[/b] One week or 7 years remain. This is the Tribulation, which is still to come as of the writing
of this book.
Thus, 49 years + 434 years gives us a total of 483 years. This leaves one week or one period of 7 years to fulfill the total of 490 years.

[b]Dan. 9:26
And after the sixty-two weeks[/b] which is 434 years (note: the 434 years, plus the 49 years, equals a total of 483 years total),
[b]shall Messiah[/b] which is Jesus Christ or the Anointed One will
[b]be cut off[/b] killed or Isa 53:8 for he was cut off out of the land of the living. Jesus Christ was crucified
[b]but not for himself[/b] He did not die for Himself, Jesus never sinned. He died for those who should trust on Him as their Lord and Savior.
[b]and the people[/b] which are the people of the Roman Empire, the fourth beast, the people
[b]of the prince[/b] or ruler
[b]that shall come[/b] The prince that shall come is referring to the Antichrist that would come in the future. since The Messiah would never destroy the city which is Jerusalem
[b]shall destroy the city[/b] which is Jerusalem
[b]and the sanctuary[/b] or temple
[b]and the end thereof shall be with a flood[/b], which can indicate with great force or mightily,
[b]and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.[/b] 2 Thes. 2:4.

[b]Dan. 9:27
And he[/b] the prince which shall come from the people that destroyed Jerusalem and the temple, in approximately 70 A.D.—the Roman Empire,
[b]shall confirm the covenant[/b] to sign or agree to treaty agreement, or peace accord
[b]with many[/b] Israel and others.
[b]for one week:[/b] or one ‘seven,’ or for seven years. The confirming or signing of this covenant might be the beginning of the last remaining seven years, what we call the Tribulation.
[b]and in the midst of the week[/b] or after the thousand two hundred and sixty days or three and one-half years or 42 months from the end of the midst of the 7 year Tribulation. This is showing that there are two parts to the Tribulation, separated by this event or by the seventh seal which we read about the silence in heaven for about ½ hour. The last 42 months of the Tribulation is also called the "Great Tribulation," Gods’ wrath.
[b]he[/b] the prince that shall come and destroy the city and the sanctuary
[b]shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease[/b] which take place in the temple. This shows that the sacrifice and oblation will restart in Jerusalem as in olden times during the first part of the Tribulation. By this and other Scriptures Rev. 11: 1, we also note that a temple will have to be rebuilt in Jerusalem for the sacrifice and oblation during the first part of the Tribulation.
At the approximate time of the midst of the Tribulation. The Antichrist Who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sits in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
[b]and for the extremity of abominations[/b] or because of the least of the abominations being placed in the temple
[b]He[/b] the prince that shall come
[b]shall make it desolate[/b] This is referred to as the "abomination of desolation," in [u]Mt 24:15[/u]. The temple is defiled. Some kind of abomination is set up on a wing of the temple, maybe the image that he sets up. People will be required to worship him or it or be put to death-ref [u]Rev 13:14,15[/u].
b]even until the consummation[/b] The end
[b]and that which is determined shall be poured upon the desolate.[/b] on the Antichrist or the temple that was made desolate is included in "that which is determined.”

2007/4/5 14:09Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
Compliments wrote:
What your presenting is a gap theory, and that is all that it is a theory, based upon nothing.

There are other "gaps" in prophecy: Acts 2:16-21 or Joel 2:28-32.

Cirtanly, Acts 2:16-18 & Joel 2:28-29 have come to pass, however Acts 2:19-20 & Joel 2:30-32have not come to pass.

2007/4/5 14:23Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

Logic, there may be gaps in other prophesies but this one is unique because it mentions a specific time frame (490 years).

2007/4/5 15:45Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

Daniel 70 weeks

Daniel 9:24, “Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.”

Seventy periods of 7 years (or 490 years) are determined for God’s chosen people to accomplish certain tasks. Those tasks are to:
1. Finish the transgression
Isaiah 53:4-6;8, “Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all…He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.”
Hebrews 9:14-15, “How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

2. Make an end of sins
Matthew 1:20-21, “But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.”
Romans 4:6-8, “Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.”

3. Make reconciliation for iniquity
2 Corinthians 5:18-20, “And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.”
Hebrews 2:17, “Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.”

4. Bring in everlasting righteousness
Matthew 3:14-15, “But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.”
Romans 1:16-17, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”

5. Seal up vision and prophecy
Matthew 5:17, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.”
Matthew 1:22, “Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,”
Matthew 2:5, “And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,”
Matthew 2:15, “And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.”
Matthew 2:17, “Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying,”
Matthew 2:23, “And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.”
Matthew 11:13, “For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.”

6. Anoint the most holy.
Matthew 3:16, “And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
Mark 14:8, “She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.”
Luke 4:17-18, “And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,”
Acts 10:38, “How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.”

All six of these were fulfilled by Jesus during His earthly ministry. When trying to understand this prophesy, we must not overlook the purpose of the prophesy.

Daniel 9:25, “Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.”

The 70 weeks/sevens begin on the command to restore and build Jerusalem. There are a few command given in scripture and the one most likely to be the correct starting point is the one given in Ezra 7:11-28 around 457 B.C., 483 years later (69 sevens) would bring us around 27 B.C. which is the time when Jesus began His ministry and was anointed by the Holy Spirit.

Daniel 9:26, “And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.”

After the 69th week/seven, the Messiah will be “cut off” or killed. He will not be killed because of something He did, but because of someone else.

I will pause here for a moment because this is where the confusion begins. First, Let us put ourselves in Daniel’s shoes for a moment. Do you think Daniel would have seen a gap between the 69th and 70th week/seven? No. He would not think to place a gap between them, but would naturally to have thought that the 70th week/seven would have followed the 69th week/seven, just like all the previous 69 weeks/sevens followed each one another without gaps.

Daniel 9:27, “And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.”

Picking up from verse 26, Daniel would have seen the 70th week/seven as happening right after the 69th week/seven. Daniel would have seen that HE shall confirm/make the covenant with many for one week/seven. Now, you might ask: What about the destruction of the city and the sanctuary spoken of in verse 26? Would Daniel have thought it would occur during the 70th week/seven? He would have, but the prophesy doesn’t say it must. The prophesy just says that it will happen after the 69th week/seven. Would Daniel have thought that the Messiah would be “cut off” during the 70th week/seven? He would have and the prophesy tells us that this happened because in the middle of the 70th week/seven the sacrifice and oblation were made to cease. Why do I believe that during the middle of the 70th week/seven refers to the death of Christ?
When Jesus died the ceremonial rituals were put to an end. Hebrews 9:11-14 says, “But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”

As for the covenant confirmed/made let us remember Jesus’ words at the Lord’s Supper, “In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.” (Luke 22:20)

2007/4/5 15:46Profile
Logic

Re:

[b]He[/b] shall confirm the covenant with many for one week is the prince of the people that destroy the city and the sanctuary.
If the the "prince" is of those people, then it would have been the Jews that distroyed the Temple in A.D.70.
In fact it was the Roman army under Titus.

You are making the Scripture say this:
And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the Messiah that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.

2007/4/5 16:06Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

The 70th week/seven began when Jesus began His ministry on this earth. As I have said before, it was a limited/selective ministry during His time on Earth. For example:
Matthew 10:5-7, "These twelve Jesus sent out, instructing them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And proclaim as you go, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Matthew 15:22-24, "And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon." But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying out after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

What I find so impressive is Jesus' words in Luke 19:41-44, "And when he drew near and saw the city, he wept over it, saying, "Would that you, even you, had known on this day the things that make for peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes. For the days will come upon you, when your enemies will set up a barricade around you and surround you and hem you in on every side and tear you down to the ground, you and your children within you. And they will not leave one stone upon another in you, because you did not know the time of your visitation."

Why did Jesus call this "the time of your visitation"? Because Daniel prophesied that Jesus --the promised Messiah--would be there at this time and the Jewish people did not know it...even though Daniel told them.

After Jesus died—in the middle of the 70th week/seven, He told His disciples in Acts 1:4, “And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.” In Acts 1:8 Jesus says, “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”

In Acts 2 the promised Holy Spirit came to the believers in Jerusalem. These people were described as “And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.” (Acts 2:5). We see this is still to the Jews in Jerusalem. Peter preached a sermon in the temple and many Jews believed. In Acts 5:18-20 we read that the Jewish leaders, “…laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison. But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said, Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.” The angel told them to preach in the Temple to the Jews. I point this out because we are still under the 70th week/seven and the gospel is still being preached exclusively to the Jew at this point.
In Acts 6 we are told about a man named Stephen, verses 8-10 say, “And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people. Then there arose certain of the synagogue, which is called the synagogue of the Libertines, and Cyrenians, and Alexandrians, and of them of Cilicia and of Asia, disputing with Stephen. And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake.”
Then in Acts 7 we notice a change; Stephen delivered a powerful indictment against the Jewish leaders for failing to understand that Jesus is the promised Messiah. In Acts 7:51-53 Stephen says, “Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers: Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.”
Now, something strange happens at this point. Remember, these are the same Jewish leaders spoken of in John 18:28-31, “Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover. Pilate then went out unto them, and said, What accusation bring ye against this man? They answered and said unto him, If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up unto thee. Then said Pilate unto them, Take ye him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death:”
But these same leaders who knew it was unlawful for them to put a person to death responded to Stephen as follows: “When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth. But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul. And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” (Acts 7:54-59)

It is at this moment that everything changed. Saul (Paul) was converted on the way to Damascus and became the apostle to the Gentiles. The center of Christianity moved from Jerusalem to Antioch. Acts moves from Peter in Jerusalem to Peter in Antioch and the message goes towards the Gentiles. Fulfilling the prophesy in Daniel 9.

2007/4/5 16:11Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy