Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : new Bible to hit the UK "Good as New"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
strawrifle

uk

new Bible to hit the UK "Good as New"

Hi i was reading a new Bible is about to be released called Good as New by the One organization..Archbishop of Canterbury (CoE) said "Instead of being taken into a specialized religious frame of reference – as happens even with the most conscientious of formal modern translations – and being given a gospel addressed to specialized concerns … we have here a vehicle for thinking and worshipping that is fully earthed, recognizably about our humanity."

Mark 1:4

Authorized version: "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins."

New: "John, nicknamed 'The Dipper,' was 'The Voice.' He was in the desert, inviting people to be dipped, to show they were determined to change their ways and wanted to be forgiven."

Mark 1:10-11

Authorized version: "And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him. And there came a voice from the heaven saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

New: "As he was climbing up the bank again, the sun shone through a gap in the clouds. At the same time a pigeon flew down and perched on him. Jesus took this as a sign that God's spirit was with him. A voice from overhead was heard saying, 'That's my boy! You're doing fine!'"

Matthew 23:25

Authorized version: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!"

New version: "Take a running jump, Holy Joes, humbugs!"

Matthew 26:69-70

Authorized version: "Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, 'Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.' But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest."

New: "Meanwhile Rocky was still sitting in the courtyard. A woman came up to him and said: 'Haven't I seen you with Jesus, the hero from Galilee?" Rocky shook his head and said: 'I don't know what the hell you're talking about!'"

1 Corinthians 7:1-2

KJV: "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

New: "Some of you think the best way to cope with sex is for men and women to keep right away from each other. That is more likely to lead to sexual offences. My advice is for everyone to have a regular partner."

1 Corinthians 7:8-7

KJV: "I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."

New: "If you know you have strong needs, get yourself a partner. Better than being frustrated."

:-?

2007/4/2 12:43Profile
Revolution34

Cardiff, South Wales

Re: new Bible to hit the UK "Good as New"

Typical sign of our times. But even the devil would be ashamed to quote from this version!

2007/4/2 12:49Profile

Re:

Thats just blasphemous.

Krispy

2007/4/2 13:08
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

god help us especially as I work in a christian bookshop in the uk!
Dom

2007/4/2 13:13Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

That is totally sacrilegious!

Jordan

2007/4/2 15:39Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

Oh man, that is so bad

2007/4/2 15:59Profile

Re:

I'm tightly clinging to my King James, pulling it into my chest, eyes nervously darting to and fro...

I'm backing away from this thread...

2007/4/2 16:12
jordanamo

Re: new Bible to hit the UK "Good as New"

There have been a few Bibles like this have been coming around in the past 10-20 years and they haven't even made a dent, except maybe for the Message bible which as far as I know/recall is the Bible chosen for the Vineyard churches.

I think though, that it is quite possible for these translations to more and more get into the hands of kids, as time progresses, and that's sad, because these versions denigrate the Word of God. Nothing even somewhat close to the KJV vs. NIV vs. NAS differences-- these blatantly do it unabashed.

They take away so much from the Word, and yet in these last days it will become more common for churches to adopt them. I can't wait to see how KJVO-ers respond to these if some of them have even have found blasphemous disputations with NAS/NIV ; )

Jordan

2007/4/2 17:34Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Surely it must be possible to make a Bible translation with more modern language without being so inaccurate and 'weird' like this. :-(

I have to say that I like the Message bible. :-)
Modern day, non blasphemous langauage as far I can tell (I don't own one).

Matthew 26:69-70

All this time, Peter was sitting out in the courtyard. One servant girl came up to him and said, "You were with Jesus the Galilean." In front of everybody there, he denied it. "I don't know what you're talking about."

2007/4/2 18:21Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

It's like they're just trying to leave the door open for sin. :-o

2007/4/2 19:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy