SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : what should we wear?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
BenBrockway

Re:

Hmmhmm...

Then what of Jesus' wear? Did he not wear that of what his culture wore? He didn't stand out of the crowd. He didn't wear something that made him "different from the world."

Just thought I'd throw that thought in...

While I agree to some extents of dress, I wonder if we can become a little too legalistic? Thoughts?

:-D

You know me Hmmhmm... all said in love! :-)

2007/3/21 18:07Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i know , i know what you mean brother, and to some degree i do agree, but.... OK, let me put it this way, if you where to wear clothes like a punk rocker, not saying it is evil or sin or any such thing, but if you where and an example my mother who is unsaved, you would try and witness to her, i know she would probably run away, i just think dressing in some ways are a hindrances to show people who Christ is, I'm not saying we all should ware shirts and ties, but I believe we should look "nice" and proper(is that right word?) and yes that may vary in different cultures, what is appropriate here may not be there and so on, but however we dress, it shouldn't be in a way that "scare" anyone away from Jesus

Christian

2007/3/21 18:16Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

is it that we are so wrapped into the world that we don't see how we dress is wrong. I.E I wonder if stop buying all these new clothing how much we could give to the Lord's work. Maybe the world is twisted into our lives, that is small ways it slips in. What about name brand clothing?
if we see our brothers and sister wearing these things should we say something? would it be like we are agreeing with him, if say nothing.
are we not to have a higher call for hoilness?
in his love
charlene

2007/3/21 18:30Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
i know , i know what you mean brother, and to some degree i do agree, but.... OK, let me put it this way, if you where to wear clothes like a punk rocker, not saying it is evil or sin or any such thing, but if you where and an example my mother who is unsaved, you would try and witness to her, i know she would probably run away, i just think dressing in some ways are a hindrances to show people who Christ is, I'm not saying we all should ware shirts and ties, but I believe we should look "nice" and proper(is that right word?) and yes that may vary in different cultures, what is appropriate here may not be there and so on, but however we dress, it shouldn't be in a way that "scare" anyone away from Jesus

Christian

I can see your point, Hmmhmm. I guess another way we can put your example is... Would not the punk rocker run away if a suit and tie came walking up to them?

Now in saying all this, I know what someone's argument will be. They will say, "So, are you saying that a girl should dress like a prostitute to witness to the prostitute?" No, I absolutely am not saying that. :-) I'm just saying that there will always be someone scared off by the way another dresses. I've heard of punks, and even homeless people turned away from churches, because of how they look and smell. THAT is an atrocity (sp?)

2007/3/21 18:32Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

charlene

as a Christian we are called out of the world, As far as my own convictions and as what my beliefs are, i think we should not be dressing like the greater part of the western culture does, I'm referring to my "MTV" generation, i believe the should be a great difference between how the world dresses and a Christian, but as Ben said, its easy to get legalistic in this matter, i don't have the discernment and wisdom to say the right words in the right spirit to someone, if they ask me what i think id give them my honest opinion, and as far as logos and marks on clothes, i saw a shirt whit scripture verses on it, i thought that was good, but other wise, i wouldn't wear that kind of clothes

2007/3/21 18:40Profile

Re:

Quote:
I've heard of punks, and even homeless people turned away from churches, because of how they look and smell. THAT is an atrocity (sp?)

VERY good point!!!!

2007/3/21 18:41
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

I can see your point, Hmmhmm. I guess another way we can put your example is... Would not the punk rocker run away if a suit and tie came walking up to them?

Now in saying all this, I know what someone's argument will be. They will say, "So, are you saying that a girl should dress like a prostitute to witness to the prostitute?" No, I absolutely am not saying that. :-) I'm just saying that there will always be someone scared off by the way another dresses. I've heard of punks, and even homeless people turned away from churches, because of how they look and smell. THAT is an atrocity (sp?)

you are right brother, i speak for myself, i judge me how i dress, ill give you my [i]opinion[/i] on how i believe you should dress as a Christian, but that is our own convictions and beliefs, many here would probably call me a legalist in this area, and to some extent I'm bound in culture by this, my wife is a gypsy, and they have very "modest" dress code and very strict rules, about clothing and what one can wear and not, but still you are right about what you are saying brother, its easy to get legalistic in this topic,

2007/3/21 18:47Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Hmmhmm,

I know that we certianly agree though in that we should be a witness. You and I are in this same MTV generation, and it is VERY SAD, the things this MTV generation does and wears. I wonder what our Daddy (God) thinks of when he looks down upon this earth and sees that which goes on today.

2007/3/21 19:09Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

BenBrockway wrote:
Hmmhmm,

I know that we certianly agree though in that we should be a witness. You and I are in this same MTV generation, and it is VERY SAD, the things this MTV generation does and wears. I wonder what our Daddy (God) thinks of when he looks down upon this earth and sees that which goes on today.

it grieves me, cant even imagine how grieved God must be? in my country, cant see how America would be different, this whole generation is lost, desperately looking for Jesus, they just don't know it.... seeking in everything, there would be a revival.... but there is no one telling them about the savior, he who can free them from this world and its sin.. many youths don't know the difference between sex and love, i know i didn't, This entire generation is getting its morals from a Godless filthy TV that corrupts everything, ohhh how we need revival, now i say god night brothers and sisters, lets pray for an awakening, because this world in its present state makes me burdened and sad,

God help us to win souls to you, the harvest is great........... God make me a soulwinner....

2007/3/21 19:23Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
Quote:

it grieves me, cant even imagine how grieved God must be? in my country, cant see how America would be different, this whole generation is lost, desperately looking for Jesus, they just don't know it.... seeking in everything, there would be a revival.... but there is no one telling them about the savior, he who can free them from this world and its sin.. many youths don't know the difference between sex and love, i know i didn't, This entire generation is getting its morals from a Godless filthy TV that corrupts everything, ohhh how we need revival, now i say god night brothers and sisters, lets pray for an awakening, because this world in its present state makes me burdened and sad,

God help us to win souls to you, the harvest is great........... God make me a soulwinner....

AMEN! It grieves me just the same.

2007/3/21 19:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy