SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : what do you think about Chirstaian book store?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I do know of one Christian book store owner that doesn't (or didn't when I knew it) sell rubbish. She's a German lady living in the UK. I used to meet at conferences, who had a shop in the London area. Lost touch now, because of not attending those conferences for some years, but she used to get a lort of trouble from other Christians because of not compromising her standards

Jeannette

2007/3/19 18:38
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
some more then 150 years old, sold at the price that i could buy 20 of these old classics for one

Yes, Christian. Christian books and music are the opposite of wine and paintings in terms of appreciating value. Normally, the older the book the cheaper it is. I've found E.M. Bounds classics for like $1 in bargain bins. This, no doubt, is of God. I once found a dog-eared, faded version of William Bridge's "A Lifting Up For The Downcast" for mere pocket change at a used bookstore. Nobody wants these old books. Compare this to how heathen folk value their older books. Great value is placed on the perennial classics, on the masterpieces. But for the Christian? No. We do the opposite. We undervalue our classics and toss them in the cheap, bargain clear-out bins. I've seen Spurgeon in there for a dollar. I've seen Murray. I've seen Pink. And that's if the bookstore even [i]carries[/i] those authors! You ask some of the workers if they have anything by R.M. McCheyne and watch their repsonse.

I found the [i]complete[/i] writings of Andrew Murray on prayer for five bucks next to a considerably more expensive Joyce Meyer book. And the Andrew Murray edition was 3-times the size of Meyer's book in terms of content! Incredible!

How do you explain this phenomenoa?

Brother Paul

2007/3/19 18:44Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

How do explain this phenomenoa?

Brother Paul

i don't know? but for one dollar for E.M. Bounds classics , that buy can make you transform that dollar into a great treasure in heaven.....

i was depressed because i come to SI and some other sites read the puritans and other as such, even as my English is OK, and i understand quite well almost everything i read except some words here or there in the older style of English, but in my language nothing! i found one book by tozer, Pursuit of God, wonderful, that little book made me so happy i could cry, but then to find books by Spurgeon, Finney, A.B Simpson, all of Torreys books, and many biographies of all the great men, some of wesleys and at such a low price! its truly wonderful, one could actually get a minor library of the great classics very cheap...

i LOVE second hand :-), but there are some good publisher in English nowdays, i like banner of truth, but the problem for me is the way i lived before coming to Christ has made me not credit worthy so its hard to "order" from these, but the Lord find ways :-)

2007/3/19 18:57Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
but for one dollar for E.M. Bounds classics , that buy can make you transform that dollar into a great treasure in heaven

Yes, I remember when I bought the book, it was one dollar and along with it was Whitall-Smith's "The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life" for a dollar also. I bought them both for a Christmas present for my brother-in-law. Those two books [i]alone[/i] are worth a million dollars! On another occassion I came across T. Austin Sparks' "God's Spiritual House" for a dollar. I grabbed it and thanked the Lord!

I always tell Christians to check the bargain bins. That's where you'll find the gold. In the garbage dump, outside the camp.

2007/3/19 19:12Profile
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

They're retailers, not censors

Having worked in retail, my take on Christian bookstores is that just like any other outlet that sells literature and media, it will always be left to the customer's discretion regarding what they are and not to buy.

(Here's a tip: Go to amazon.com and follow the prompts until you get Christian books. Select "Sort by Bestselling". Okay? Take a look at the list - if need be, stay calm and breathe deeply - as the titles shouldn't really surprise you. Now, select "Sort by avg customer review".)

At the end of the day (IMHO), the Christian Retailer is a provider, not a censor. The latter (ideally) is the job of pastors and teachers within the local church.

In general, this is what I look for in a Christian bookstore whenever I desire to become a "frequent shopper":

1. Who does the bookstore cater to? Does it have materials for new believers (discipleship, spiritual growth etc.) through to your own pastor (lexicons, dictionaries, commentaries, etc.)?

2. What is the relationship between the store and the churches within the surrounding area? Does it operate under a church itself, or is it independant?

3. Do the staff display genuine Christian integrity in their work? In other words, when you step into the store, do you sense that same sense of connection as when you are with those in your regular fellowship?

4. Is there a bias when it comes to secondary doctrinal distinctives? Does the stock create sufficient balance when when it comes to issues that may cause debate so that you can select materials from both sides of an argument? Also, when you approach the counter, does the retail assistant express any visible sign of disapproval regarding your selection? (This once happened when I bought six copies of "Sinners In the Hands of an Angry God" in Evangelistic-booklet format).

5. If a title you desire is not in stock, is the store willing to order it for you? How open is the store with regards to saying what they do and don't have?

2007/3/19 19:18Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: They're retailers, not censors

Quote:
Also, when you approach the counter, does the retail assistant express any visible sign of disapproval regarding your selection? (This once happened when I bought six copies of "Sinners In the Hands of an Angry God" in Evangelistic-booklet format).

Funny! I also bought a copy of SITHOAAG in a thinline, booklet format. It was on the "reduced-price/sale" table and there were a whole stack of them. There were also a bunch of the "Autobiography of George Mueller"s and some other priceless findings.

Funny that the retail person gave you a look of disapproval! I haven't experienced that one yet. I try not to pay attention to facial distinctions...though I can sense skepticism at times when I bring a Wigglesworth book up to the counter.

Good pointers you've provided. Thank you!

Brother Paul

2007/3/19 19:34Profile

Re:

Quote:
Its actually been recommended by the church I meet with (the Lord sent me there, and hasn't released me, or this would perhaps be the last straw!)

Actually, in my opinion (and it's just that... my opinion) is that the Lord [b]has[/b] in fact released you:

[b]Rom 16:17[/b] [i][color=0000FF]Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; [b]and avoid them[/b]. [/color][/i]

If your church is teaching the "Purpose Doctrine", the scripture is clear (at least to me anyway) what you should do.

First, however, I would recommend you take your concerns to the leadership. Study and know what you're talking about. If they refuse to listen... then leave.

Krispy

2007/3/20 7:13
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: hmmhmm

Dear hmmhmm,

How about if you send us an address and we send you some books worth reading? I will ask for your address pm and send some out.

2007/3/20 8:07Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

And ya'll, do not forget eBay! If I see a book I may want, I hurry onto eBay and if they do not have it you can go to www.bookfinder.com. What makes this nice is it can be done in the comfort of your home without spending any gas, tires and much time - sometimes. :-P

ginnyrose

2007/3/20 10:08Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Ginny, thanks for that webpage, I searched for a book I'd been looking for for years and found it on the first try (for only 16$ after shipping) thanks!

2007/3/20 10:29Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy