SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bible college

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
John173

Omaha

Re:

Preach Parsley,

Have you ever been witnessing to someone when they pop up with this oh so clever question, "Can God make a rock too big for Him to move?"?

I sincerely respect you, but this is what your last post sounded like. I am honestly quite surprised to find a post like this from your hand. I know I have personally done something similar to this. I had to go back and edit/remove my initial comment and apologize to the member whose post I had reacted to.

God bless you brother, I hope you take this with a grain of salt.

In Christ,

Doug

2007/3/15 16:07Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
but this is what your last post sounded like

To you maybe. Not to me.

2007/3/15 16:16Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

Preach parsley was directing his comment at Corey not at you TJ. The post Corey made was specifically speaking to having debt that is owed to a banker and paying interest. I found his comment to be both snide and cynical. This is the very same spirit that produces the God/rock question. I find this behavior amongst brethren to be offensive and think Corey is owed an apology.

Every one of us makes mistakes. I hope Preach is man enough to be humble and do the right thing. This type of thing is where the rubber meets the road in our Christian faith. Do we have character or not?

Such comparisons as he made are idiotic! And no, I am NOT saying he's an idiot, only that his comment was.

Am I expecting too high a level of maturity here? Are we just full of high minded words as we hide behind the anonimity of our keyboards. Do we not recognize that though we don't look each other in the eye that each of us is a fellow believer that should be shown basic respect and decency?

Distressed and disillussioned,

Doug

2007/3/15 16:34Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Preach parsley was directing his comment at Corey not at you TJ

I can read...and follow a thread. (not trying to be smart)

Quote:
I found his comment to be both snide and cynical.

I did not. You expressed your opinion. I expressed mine.

I was just saying that not everyone took it the way you did.

2007/3/15 17:16Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

I think he was just pointing out that there is more to debt than just the financial aspects.

He did this in the form of a question.

My 2 cents

2007/3/15 17:30Profile

Re:

Hey guys... sorry if I came across the wrong way... I'm involved in another post right now that's quite heated and maybe brought some of that "rabidity" in here.

Anywho, ask yourself these questions:

"How many hours of my life will I lose working to pay off this thing, with interest (whatever it is)?"

"How many hours of my life will the interest alone cost me?"

Or, if you're a business owner:

"How many hours will the people I pay minimum wage to lose of their lives to pay off my new house and car?"

Then you can move on to questions like:

"If I had gone with that smaller house that needed work (used car, smaller T.V., community college), how many hours of my life would I have saved?"

Because [i]money[/i] = [i](life) energy + time[/i]. It's like liquid energy that you can save.

How much of your life is your house worth? Or how many hours you could have spent with your wife and kids are you willing to spend on your new deck, new SUV, and new surround sound system? How many hours are you willing to lose with your family... to interest?

Read my previous post on this thread if you want to learn what some of the greatest political and financial minds thought of usury.

2007/3/15 19:11
John173

Omaha

Re:

[color=000099]Yo John173!

Don't you think your being just a touch over reactionary? To some extent I can see your point, yet it seems to me that your rant was a bit over the top. Are you not guilty of showing your brother the same disrespect you accuse him of? Seriously bro', I think you owe someone an apology as well.

Doug[/color]

[color=006600]Hey Doug my...er...conscience?

Quit buggin' me. I hate it when you're right.

John173[/color]

[color=FF9900]Preach Parley (Josh),
This is my off beat humor attemptimg to apolgize for taking you to task so vehemently. Had someone else made the comments I made I would have been just as offended by that as I was by your post. Please forgive me as I am not justified in ranting about this in the manner I did.

Sincerely,

Doug [/color]

2007/3/15 22:12Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Tonight I heard an amazing thought from a teacher named Dr. Ralph Winter, considered the foremost expert on World Missions alive today.

He was speaking about church planting in the third world and one of the things he said is, 'you know, the second a church builds a bible college their movement will die.'

You see, bible colleges according to him hand out 'leadership' to anyone who can pay for it's classes -of course the seminary or college has every intention of raising up good leaders, but this is not how God selects leaders!

Dr. Winter suggested that most of the major growing Christian movements and churches in the world today are lead, pastored and equipped by uneducated people, or men and women without a church background. This is how God has always for the most part worked. Of course there are great men of God who have come out of colleges, or have pursued higher learning, but for the most part vibrant churches are lead by vibrant people, those are people who have had experienced God personally, not necessarily the people who pay to go to bible school.

Instead of offering bible school to everyone, maybe we should open elite bible training centers that only admit people who are already proven christian leaders -kind of like the graduate or PhD level. Equip those already performing the task.

2007/3/16 1:42Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

I like the concept of the DTS (Discipleship Training School) that YWAM has. While they do have classes as part of this training, the main thrust is to help believers to grow in their personal relationship with the Lord. All true leadership grows out of that personal intimate relationship to Him.

Zac Poonen pointed this out in one of the two sermons Greg recently posted as 'must listen'. To broadly paraphrase, he said that too many christians listen to teaching and read the word for the purpose of regurgitating it. This is a huge error. Zac felt convicted of this and prayed that he would only preach that which matched up to the inner workings God had done in his own life. Thus when he reads the word he is asking God to shine the light upon himself. As this occurs he can then testify to an inner working and impart life to his hearers.

Is it any wonder this brothers ministry is held in such high regard?

In His Love,

Doug

2007/3/16 9:57Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Ah! The trouble with message boards! It's so hard to express things just like you want!

I'm guessing my use of quotes is what made my post look like it came off in a wrong manner. Actually, I've came across some brothers that are very strict in certain areas and have made me think about some things, debt being one of them. The Bible does plainly speak against debt. I have no argument there, but was wondering what exactly that is. I mean, technically if you eat your food before you pay you are owning someone.

I apologize that it came off wrong. Next time I will try to look closer at my writing style. Thank you for pointing it out.

God Bless.

2007/3/16 11:28Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy