SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dino's

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
lovegrace

Re:

When reading the bible, you should also keep in mind it wasn't written by an American or Greco-Roman but instead a Jew/Hebrew from the Orient. Two entirly different thought-processes.

Why do you think that the gospels don't have everything in chronological order? Cause they focused on the events, not the timeline of the events.

Genesis is the same way. So is Revelation. 2 Samuel isn't in chronological order either.

It's not that one or the other is right (referring to the thought processes: Greco-Roman or Orient) but that they are different.

In seminary you learn that this is called 'Block logic' or 'Hebrew logic' when it's rooted from people that are in Asian cultures, or the 'Orient'.

So, step 1 comes before step 2 is the Greco-Roman thought. And walking up the stairs is the Asian thought. Both are correct, but two different ways to look at the same event.

Just remember the LATTER was how the Word of God was written.

2007/4/7 16:16Profile

Re: dinosaur poem

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:
sauropods, the massive plant-eating creature with a tiny head, and long neck and tail, that had a "brain" above its hind legs, apparently to work the rear end, because the real brain, in its head, was too small to do the job

Can't resist posting a funny poem I learned, about this type of dinosaur (ignore the last bit - not true!):

[i][color=003366]
[b][size=small]The Riddle of the Dinosaur[/size][/b]
[Bert Leston Taylor (1866-1921) c. 1912]

Behold the mighty dinosaur,
Famous in prehistoric lore,
Not only for his power and strength
But for his intellectual length.
You will observe by these remains
The creature had two sets of brains-
One in his head (the usual place),
The other at his spinal base.
Thus he could reason 'A Priori'
As well as 'A Posteriori.'
No problem bothered him a bit
He made both head and tail of it.
So wise was he, so wise and solemn,
Each thought filled just one spinal column.
If one brain found the pressure strong
It passed a few ideas along.
If something slipped his forward mind
'Twas rescued by the one behind
And if in error he was caught
He had a saving afterthought.
As he thought twice before he spoke
He had no judgment to revoke.
Thus he could think without congestion.
Upon both sides of the question.
Oh, gaze upon this model beast,
Defunct ten million years at least.[/color][/i]

It amuses me anyway!:-P

Jeannette

2007/4/7 16:17

Re:

Quote:

lovegrace wrote:
When reading the bible, you should also keep in mind it wasn't written by an American or Greco-Roman but instead a Jew/Hebrew from the Orient. Two entirly different thought-processes.

Why do you think that the gospels don't have everything in chronological order? Cause they focused on the events, not the timeline of the events.

Genesis is the same way. So is Revelation. 2 Samuel isn't in chronological order either.

It's not that one or the other is right (referring to the thought processes: Greco-Roman or Orient) but that they are different.

In seminary you learn that this is called 'Block logic' or 'Hebrew logic' when it's rooted from people that are in Asian cultures, or the 'Orient'.

So, step 1 comes before step 2 is the Greco-Roman thought. And walking up the stairs is the Asian thought. Both are correct, but two different ways to look at the same event.

Just remember the LATTER was how the Word of God was written.

Thank you so much for this great summary. More or less on the lines of what I wanted to say but didn't know how!

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/4/7 16:37
lovegrace

Re:

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:
Thank you so much for this great summary. More or less on the lines of what I wanted to say but didn't know how!

It's just something profound that I learned over the past year. It's changed the way I look at Scripture. Now, I have a more accurate view of how and what ways they were written.

Plus, it makes things like the Trinity easier to understand. That it's a 3 in one and not a '1 comes before 2.....etc' thing or a 'Father comes before the Son...etc.' Nope, they are all one in the same. :-P

2007/4/7 21:37Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

"The Bible doesn't say everything was created in 6 days."

Yes, dear brother, it does.

Exodus 20:11a For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is

2007/4/7 23:31Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy