SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : It is the power of God (what do you know about it?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
vico

It is the power of God (what do you know about it?)

Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..."

In an attempt to generate some blessed fellowship i would appreciate some feedback as to what you believe to be the Gospel (THE Good News).

What is this thing that is the power of God unto Salvation?

What is this thing which to proclaim is the thrust of Christian ministry on earth?

I think that this discussion could greatly benefit many, especially many of the "newborn" on this site. With that said, I would appreciate comments from the Godly and wise of this site.

May the God of all Grace grant you the wisdom from above.

~vico

2007/3/13 12:07Profile
vico

Re: It is the power of God (what do you know about it?)

...anybody?

2007/3/13 18:02Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Hello. :-)

[b]1 Corinthians 15:1-4
[/b]

The Gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

He died to give us forgiveness of sins, and rose again that we might walk in newness of life. That is the Good News. We don't have to be bound by sin. We can be free through Christ!

It's whay Paul exclaims "Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift!"

2007/3/13 19:38Profile

What a great discussion!

According to scripture, The Gospel is the Good News of what GOD HAS DONE for us....IN CHRIST.

I think that is why Paul could say he was not ashamed of the Gospel. Its effectiveness to save to the uttermost was not based upon his own performance, but rather on God's faithfulness.

R.C. Sproul has a short commentary on what the heart of the Gospel is:

The heart of the Gospel:

God is holy and He is just and I am not.

At the end of my life I will have to stand before that Just and Holy God, and I will be judged. (By a Just Judge according to a perfect law…the law of love)

I can either be judged on the basis of my own righteousness, or lack of it, or on the righteousness of another.

The good news of the Gospel is that Jesus lived a life of perfect obedience/ righteousness, not for his own well being, but for the well being of his people...all those that will believe on Him.

He is done for me what I could not possibly do for myself; he also offered himself as a perfect sacrifice to satisfy the justice and the righteous wrath of God.

One of the great misconceptions of our day is that God is not concerned to protect his own integrity. (To remain both just and merciful) We think He is a kind of wishy - washy deity who just waves a wand of forgiveness over everybody.

No, for God to forgive you and me is a very costly matter. It cost the sacrifice of His Son.

So valuable was that sacrifice that God pronounced it valuable by raising Him from the dead..

The Gospel is something objective. It is first of all a Truth apart from me. It is who Jesus is and what he did.

But, it also has a subjective dimension to it.

How are the benefits of Jesus transferred to me, or to any other human being?

How are the benefits subjectively appropriated to us? How do I get it?

The bible makes it clear, we are justified not by our efforts, deeds, works, goodness, obedience to the 10 commandments, but by faith alone...faith in Christ alone.

The only way to receive the benefit of Christ’s life and death is by putting your trust in Him and in Him alone. If you do that, then God declares you righteous, and just. You are adopted into His family, you are forgiven of all of your sins, and you have begun your pilgrimage for eternity.

2007/3/13 19:43
vico

Re:

Thanks for your input guys!

1Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

Now just a thought, i don't think that many of us realize the power the backs the Gospel. I think if we did we would put a lot more faith-action to work. i think if we truly understood the promises that we have concerning God moving when the Gospel is preached, we would be more earnest in doing it!

No wonder --like the brother said-- Paul was not ashamed of the Gospel, he knew, had faith in, and acted on the faith, and so preached it!

The Lord bless you all!

2007/3/14 9:58Profile

Re: The Gospel

Please someone correct me if I am out of line:

I cannot believe that a thread discussing the depth of what the Gospel is can just roll right on through with only a couple of responses.

I think it speaks volumes about a people that choose to talk about the problems with the Church and with the world, but choose not to talk about the only solution.

Is it because we really do not understand the Gospel?

I hear alot about repentance, but repentance is not the solution folks. Repentence makes a straight path to the solution. The Gospel.

Please do not say that I don't think repentence is necessary. Repentence from sin and dead works is absolutely necessary in order to be saved.

But repentence does not empower an individual to walk with God.

The Gospel is the Power of God unto Salvation. The desire and the ability to walk with God is found in what God has already done for us.

2007/3/14 17:43
vico

Re: Giving your life for the Gospel

Mark 8:35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel‘s, the same shall save it.

What is this thing we are to lose our life for?

2007/3/14 18:22Profile
vico

2007/3/14 21:36Profile
psalm1

Re:

hi would just like to add a thought.When you look back to the old priesthood and take in the picture of the tabernacle and the priest performing his duties.All the animals that were sacrificed and this all was pointing to the lamb of God. The messiah that would one day come in answer to prayers and fulfillmeht of prophecy. And then fastforward to now. God says he will dwell in me. now I am that tabernacle.And the fact that he died for me and i didnt deserve it. Wow this is truly Good news..... God bless you all, David

2007/3/14 23:50Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

[color=6600CC]Pro 25:25 [As] cold waters to a thirsty soul, so [is] good news from a far country. [/color]

In the strongs good news means:

1) to be good, be pleasing, be joyful, be beneficial, be pleasant, be favourable, be happy, be right

a) (Qal)

1) to be pleasant, be delightful

2) to be glad, be joyful

3) to be better

4) to be well with, be good for

5) to be pleasing

b) (Hiphil) to do well, do good, act right, act rightly

1) to hear, listen to, obey

a) (Qal)

1) to hear (perceive by ear)

2) to hear of or concerning

3) to hear (have power to hear)

4) to hear with attention or interest, listen to

5) to understand (language)

6) to hear (of judicial cases)

7) to listen, give heed

a) to consent, agree

b) to grant request

8) to listen to, yield to

9) to obey, be obedient

b) (Niphal)

1) to be heard (of voice or sound)

2) to be heard of

3) to be regarded, be obeyed

c) (Piel) to cause to hear, call to hear, summon

d) (Hiphil)

1) to cause to hear, tell, proclaim, utter a sound

2) to sound aloud (musical term)

3) to make proclamation, summon

4) to cause to be heard

[color=6600CC]Mat 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.[/color]

Gospel of the Kingdom means:

1) a reward for good tidings

2) good tidings

a) the glad tidings of the kingdom of God soon to be set up, and subsequently also of Jesus the Messiah, the founder of this kingdom. After the death of Christ, the term comprises also the preaching of (concerning) Jesus Christ as having suffered death on the cross to procure eternal salvation for the men in the kingdom of God, but as restored to life and exalted to the right hand of God in heaven, thence to return in majesty to consummate the kingdom of God

b) the glad tidings of salvation through Christ

c) the proclamation of the grace of God manifest and pledged in Christ

d) the gospel

e) as the messianic rank of Jesus was proved by his words, his deeds, and his death, the narrative of the sayings, deeds, and death of Jesus Christ came to be called the gospel or glad tidings
1) to bring good news, to announce glad tidings

a) used in the OT of any kind of good news

1) of the joyful tidings of God's kindness, in particular,
of the Messianic blessings

b) in the NT used especially of the glad tidings of the coming kingdom of God, and of the salvation to be obtained in it through Christ, and of what relates to this salvation

c) glad tidings are brought to one, one has glad tidings proclaimed to him

d) to proclaim glad tidings

1) instruct (men) concerning the things that pertain to Christian salvation

the kingdom means:

1) royal power, kingship, dominion, rule

a) not to be confused with an actual kingdom but rather the right or authority to rule over a kingdom

b) of the royal power of Jesus as the triumphant Messiah

c) of the royal power and dignity conferred on Christians in the Messiah's kingdom

2) a kingdom, the territory subject to the rule of a king

3) used in the N.T. to refer to the reign of the Messiah

[color=6600CC]Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated [us] into the kingdom of his dear Son: [/color]

[color=6600CC]Isa 9:2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.[/color]

[color=6600CC]Eph 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now [are ye] light in the Lord: walk as children of light: [/color]

The good news of the gospel it that those who walk in darkness and despair can now walk in light and joy. Good news indeed. The real power of God is manifest to the lost through the word of our testimony, just like on the thread with the video of the young man getting baptised. He was saturated with darkness and the light of God's word set him free.

[color=6600CC]Mat 4:16 The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.[/color]

[color=6600CC]Jhn 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

[/color][color=6600CC]Hbr 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.[/color]

[color=6600CC]1Cr 15:55 O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory? [/color]
[color=6600CC]1Cr 15:56 The sting of death [is] sin; and the strength of sin [is] the law. [/color]

[color=6600CC]1Cr 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. [/color]

[color=6600CC]Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.[/color]

The good news is that you can be tranlated out of darkness and despair into a totally different world of peace and joy here on earth and spend eternity in the Kingdom being a Kings kid.

2007/3/15 0:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy