SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fire At Ben Israel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
shibu

Goa, India

Re: Fire At Ben Israel

Dear Saints,
It is very painful to read about the calamity which had struck Ben Israel Fellowship from human view point. But according to God's economy, there are on glorious pruning process unto eternal weight of glory.

John 15:1-3 "I am the Real Vine and my Father is the Farmer. He cuts off every branch of me that doesn't bear grapes. And every branch that is grape-bearing he prunes back so it will bear even more."

Psalm 66:10-12 Bless our God, O peoples! give him a thunderous welcome! Didn't he set us on the road to life? Didn't he keep us out of the ditch? He trained us first,passed us like silver through refining fires, Brought us into hardscrabble country,pushed us to our very limit, Road-tested us inside and out,took us to hell and back; Finally he brought us to this well-watered place.

Let us continue to uphold them in our prayers especially for Art Katz.

In Him,
Shibu

2007/3/13 2:01Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: William Carey & Ben Israel

Dear Jordan,

I wanted to send you the response on the William Carey post you made about Ben Israel. I thought you might be blessed by it. Here it is:

---------------------------------------------

Others have reminded us of similar incidents: 1. A fire destroyed a huge
store house full of books (about 40 000) of the late Oswald Chamber's burned
down. His widow, Bibby Chambers, must have been devastated with such a
terrible loss.

Also, a fire destroyed most of the writings of David Baron, and what we have
today is only a sample of all his works.

So, we are encouraged...
Mervin Stahl
Ben Israel

----------------------------------------------

2007/3/13 16:20Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Quote:
I was just considering the parallels to William Carey's ministry.

Yes, I see this as well.

2007/3/13 18:54Profile
jordanamo

Re:

Thank you Goldminer.

It's a tragedy that most of David Baron's writings were burned in East London when Germany bombed them...

Now what we have left is left largely left unpublished, except Ben Israel published most of them and they were apparently burned down in the fire, which is sad.

You can't find them online via any online used bookstores, either. Only like two of his works are being published in current circulation.

Jordan

2007/3/13 19:04Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

And we mustn't forget the great Chicago fire of 1871 that decimated the life-long investments of godly H.G. Spafford, which actually precipitated his family's trip to Europe that led to further disaster - the sinking of the ship his wife and four daughters were on. All four of his daughters drowned. And not four years after that, his only son died.

Spafford is the same man that wrote "It is Well with My Soul" and the musician who wrote the music to this beloved hymn died himself not two weeks later in a train wreck!

Do you remember the story of Leonard Ravenhill (also in Chicago, BTW), leaping from the window of a burning building in the 1950's? I think he ended up breaking both his legs and fracturing many ribs.

God is not a man, and His ways to accomplish divine purpose are as far beyond our mortal intellect as the heavens are above the earth.

2007/3/13 19:13Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Sorry for the tangent, just answering paul's ambiguously written comment about Horatio Stafford.

Spafford wrote the hymn in 1873 after his daughters died while he himself was passing the spot on a boat where the other ship sank. He didn't die until 1888, as a missionary in Jerusalem where he died of malaria.

Horatio Spafford:
Born 1828
1870 death of first son
1871 chicago fire and destruction of property
1873 death of his four daughters
1873 writing of the hymn 'it is well with my soul'
1876 bith of son Horatio
1878 birth of daughter Bertha
1880 death of his second son by scarlet fever
1881 mission to Jersualem
1888 died of malaria in Jerusalem four days before his 60th birthday.

Philip Bliss who did write the score for the hymn died in 1876 in a train wreck... but there is also some time issues here, he performed the hymn for an audience including DL Moody on nov 28 1876 and died in the train wreck on december 29th of the same year, over a month (not quite two weeks).

2007/3/13 20:51Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
just answering paul's ambiguously written comment about Horatio Stafford

Thanks for the correction, Ian. I'm sorry you considered my comment to be "ambiguous". The only reason I posted was to harmlessly remind the readers here of different tragedies that have befallen godly men in the past.

Brother Paul

2007/3/13 21:14Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

^_~ The only reason I mentioned it is because I got called by someone else when talking on the same person, using almost the same example... I guess it begot in me the need to correct you about it too =o sorry.

2007/3/14 3:27Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

God is not a man, and His ways to accomplish divine purpose are as far beyond our mortal intellect as the heavens are above the earth.

this we need to remember always...

2007/3/14 12:24Profile
BudTexas

Fort Worth, TX

Re: Jeus is not a pyromaniac

Hello All:

I have listened to Art Katz for years.

A more eloquent and devoted man I do not know.

Art's intellect, vocabulary and physical presence is powerful.

I know I have somewhat idolized Art's intellect. I think Art has idolized the intellects of those he has read and frequently quotes. Art and most if not all of the people Art respects hold an unscriptural sovereignty of God doctrine.

It pervades everything.

Below is a quote off of the Ben Israel web site about the fire there. "And like him, we hope to prove faithful in the same care to seek the Lord's mind and direction for our every decision. We want to humble ourselves before Him, as we embrace His rebuke and instruction. We want to examine ourselves, review, take account, and with one heart seek His face for the way ahead. We covet the prayers of the saints."

They want to "embrace His rebuke and instruction". Meaning the fire was God's rebuke and a way of instructing them.

Jesus, the express image of God The Father, did not feed the five thousand and then by night go around setting fires to rebuke them and teach them something.

Jesus did not heal the sick and then secretly creep around making people sick.

Jesus never told any sick person or person with a birth defect to stay that way so that they could learn something or give God glory in that way.

I want Art out of the sick bed and back to ministering without however that sickly sovereignty of God doctrine.

2007/3/15 9:47Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy