SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I've been to a few "christian" rock shows

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I really just need to walk away... I have a little taste now of what 'people on the outside looking in' must feel, and I have no desire to taste anymore.

This forum is not a fragrant place, the grace of God isn't preached here -so many people are bound by the law.

The law can't save, only the grace of Jesus can!

2007/2/28 11:06Profile

Re:

Hey everyone... I've PM'd some with Ian, and tho I feel persuaded to challenge him on this issue... I have found Ian to be very likable and humorous. On many issues I think Ian and I agree, and in fact, we really arent too far off on this topic.

So everyone take a deep breath and remember who our enemy is... and it isnt anyone on this forum.

Krispy

2007/2/28 11:13

Re:

Brethren...

If we are discussing an issue... and we feel our tempers beginning to flair, and we begin to say things to our brethren that goes beyond "rebuke and reprove" (which means to correct error) and we enter into areas of offence (sarcastically or not)... then we are in the flesh, and no longer in the Spirit.

No one issue brings that out more than music. I suggest everyone take a breather from this thread... let it die out quietly... and find a topic pertaining to doctrine to discuss for awhile.

Let's remember that we struggle not with flesh and blood.

Krispy

2007/2/28 11:47
John173

Omaha

Re:

How many threads are there on thiese issues? I haven't counted, but as I read them I get the sense that these threads are very pleasing to him. And yes the lower case h was intentional.

Sick at heart

Doug

2007/2/28 11:47Profile
roadsign

Re: to John

Hey, John, I just saw your post, and commend you for honestly and bravely bringing up this issue:

Quote:
While we are on the topic of christian music,I have something to say. I am still driven to listen to all the music I used to listen to. I have over 500 cd's and never got rid or burned any of them. I transferred them all over to mp3, so that when I am on the computer, I could listen to them. Does this mean that maybe I am keeping one foot in the door of the world? I want to add that I HAVENT listened to them in months,but the temptation is there.I need advice on this. Tell it to me straight,am I playing with fire?
GOD Bless
John

You ask:
Quote:
Does this mean that maybe I am keeping one foot in the door of the world?
Tell it to me straight,am I playing with fire?

I think you answer your own question:
Quote:
I am still driven to listen to all the music
[and]
the temptation is there.

Of course, it’s not for me to tell you to burn your CD’s, and delete your files. After all the place to deal with idols is in the heart. And, absolutely anything can become an idol, even nice Christian music. Ian makes a good point:
Quote:
we don't tell someone who has an idol of materialism to burn all our posessions, we tell them to give them away -because not everyone has an idol of materialism.

It’s in the heart where things become idols. So it’s in your heart where you must abolish your music, if that has become an idol. In fact, you can burn all your music, and still long for them more than your Lord. Can you easily let go of your music? Is God enough for you? He may very well test your loyalty by requiring you to remove it all. Just let him guide. He certainly can. He has done so in my life, that’s for sure! He once called me to burn a bunch of nostalgic stuff. So I did.

These words to a hymn may speak to you:
“Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in his wonderful face,
and the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of his glory and grace.”

Invest your life in the Lord; dig into the Word - and the music will amazingly lose its appeal. God is sooooooo much better!!!

All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

Knowing you, Jesus
Knowing you, there is no greater thing
You're my all, you're the best
You're my joy, my righteousness
And I love you, Lord

Now my heart's desire is to know you more
To be found in you and known as yours
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All-surpassing gift of righteousness

Oh, to know the power of your risen life
And to know You in Your sufferings
To become like you in your death, my Lord
So with you to live and never die

Graham Kendrick
Copyright © 1993 Make Way Music,

May God bless you, John,

Diane

2007/2/28 11:48Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

I include my own post in this. Just to clarify, I am not taking individuals to task here for their personal convictions. Just the argumentative divisive spirit that seems to have laid hold on this place. Again, I think he is well pleased with our efforts. Small h once again intentional.

2007/2/28 11:56Profile

Re: Encouragement

Quote:

John173 wrote:
I include my own post in this. Just to clarify, I am not taking individuals to task here for their personal convictions. Just the argumentative divisive spirit that seems to have laid hold on this place. Again, I think he is well pleased with our efforts. Small h once again intentional.

True, yet do not despair. The Enemy usually (maybe always)oversteps himself (small h) in the end; and it [i]always[/i] turns out to God's glory.

Remember what Joseph said to his brothers, (quoted roughly from memory)"You meant evil against me but God used it for good, to save much people alive". Those brothers who had showed jealousy and hatred and bitterness were among those saved alilve in famine because of what they had done to Joseph!

As wall as that, the brothers repented, (13 years later, but it needn't take that long!)deeply and truly of the wrong they had done.

I am certain that no-one really [i]meant[/i] any evil against anyone here, but that's the spiritual principle we are dealing with. Rom 8:28 is also relevant.

In among all the unpleasantness I detected a thread of [i]reality[/i]. Yes there was quarreling, and it was horrible, but it was as a family quarrel, not as strangers. And, as with family, I'm sure we would defend each other with all our strength if any outsider attacked.

Another good thing is that the thoughts of many hearts were revealed. When something of our heart is exposed (e.g.wrong motives, defensiveness, extreme anger and hurt, even thoughtless tactless remarks that wounded without meaning to) it is often the first step in the Lord's healing.

I have found myself, (in this and other threads that got rather heated), praying for and seeking to understand, where I might not have otherwise. Especially with (usually younger) brethren with whom I disagree on certain things.

And always the Lord has melted my heart towards them, and helped in understanding.

No doubt others can say the same.

Your grief at seeing such quarreling is a Godly grief; but take heart, this "quarreling sickness" is not unto death but for the glory of God.

Yours in Him

Jeannette

2007/3/1 15:50
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
This forum is not a fragrant place, the grace of God isn't preached here -so many people are bound by the law.

That is determinded by the product of it's members. Careful how you bite the hand that feeds you...

2007/3/1 15:56Profile

Re:

Have just read a new thread. We all need to read it:
Title: "The Need of the Human Heart"

Jeannette

(sorry, I haven't learned how to do direct links to another thread yet)

2007/3/1 15:59
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

The theater!

I do not hesitate for a moment to pronounce the theater
to be one of the broadest avenues which lead to destruction!

Fascinating, no doubt it is—but on that account the more
delusive and the more dangerous! Let a young man once
acquire a taste for this species of entertainment, and yield
himself up to its gratification, and he is in imminent danger
of becoming a lost character—rushing upon his ruin!

All the evils that can . . .
waste his property,
corrupt his morals,
blast his reputation,
impair his health,
embitter his life,
and destroy his soul,
lurk in the confines of the theater! Vice, in every
form, lives, and moves, and has its being there!

Myriads have cursed the hour when they first exposed
themselves to the contamination of the theater. >From
that fatal evening, they date their destruction!

Take warning then, and have nothing to do with the
theater. Avoid it as one of the avenues to the broad
road that leads to destruction. The danger is greater
than I describe. The doors of the theater are as the
jaws of the devouring lion!

"Do not follow the crowd in doing evil." Exodus 23:2

2007/3/1 16:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy