SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I've been to a few "christian" rock shows

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

What is this need to proove you're right? The defensiveness and divisiveness surrounding this topic is enough to almost make me side with those who I actually disagree with concerning the music itself.

As stated before, I love all kinds of music... and yes, even some Christian rock bands. However, you rarely see me picking a fight about it, one way or the other. And if I involve myself in a discussion on here about music... I'm usually pointing out what I see as the negatives about it. But you, Ben, cant even seem to conceive that there [b]are[/b] any negatives.

You don't seem to have any balance. Instead, you try and bolster your position with silly arguments. And sometimes your arguments actually back fire on you. (i.e. Salvation Army uniforms vs. gaudy sensual clothes of many of today's Christian rock stars).

Christian Music is such a stupid thing to argue about. For or against. But for those who are for it... it amazes me that you seem to blind to the obvious problems that exist in today's Christian music. You give your hero's a free pass.

Krispy

2007/2/28 9:51
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Quote:
40 lines of nonsense... 2 lines about sharing peace and hope (no mention of Christ), and 2 lines about how bad being famous is.

Krispy,

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that you make MORE money as a Christian performer if you use the words Jesus, Christ, Savior etc. in your songs.

A lot of younger bands actually refuse to blaspheme his name for money -we can critisize Five Iron Frenzy for this... or we can see that these kids want to share some truth with the kids at their shows.

And they have tons of songs that are more spiritual... the also put out an entire CD of B-sides and funny songs.

2007/2/28 10:12Profile
BradW

Edmonton, AB, Canada

Re:

Quote:
the also put out an entire CD of B-sides and funny songs.

...and everyone here knows that we need to be 'entertained' more.

Quote:
A lot of younger bands actually refuse to blaspheme his name for money

Good motives! Good on them. :-(

In case anyone can't see it, I'm being sarcastic. :-?

2007/2/28 10:23Profile
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

I thought that I saw an article where David Wilkerson went to a christian rock show and said it, more or less, had nothing to do with christianity. I thought it was a LeFevre concert. Here is the link. http://www.tscpulpitseries.org/english/1980s/ts870803.html

I may have even seen this on here in one of these threads.

2007/2/28 10:28Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Brad,

On this forum I've been accused of not having a sense of humor when I couldn't poke fun at other people. For the most part the young men of this band poke fun at themselves (and Canada) and have produced several wholesome and edifying albums.

You see, this is the thing that bugs me so much, is that your hearts are hard, you're ready to beat up anyone for listening to something different than you -even if they have a genuine relationship with Jesus...

Brad, where do you live, I'll make sure to avoid visiting!

2007/2/28 10:29Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

David Wilkerson was also friends with Keith Green through their mutual mentor Leonard Ravenhill.

David Wilkerson's article has probably been taken out of context and used to attack just about everyone out there! Obviously he doesn't believe that all Christian musicians are bad, he was pointing out an example, not the whole genre.

It's people that take one verse, or one article and assume that that's the whole story and miss the context -that how heresy starts!

2007/2/28 10:32Profile
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

While we are on the topic of christian music,I have something to say. I am still driven to listen to all the music I used to listen to. I have over 500 cd's and never got rid or burned any of them. I transferred them all over to mp3, so that when I am on the computer, I could listen to them. Does this mean that maybe I am keeping one foot in the door of the world? I want to add that I HAVENT listened to them in months,but the temptation is there.I need advice on this. Tell it to me straight,am I playing with fire?
GOD Bless
John

2007/2/28 10:34Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

When I was in highschool my youth pastor told me a story about how when he first became a Christian he went out into the back yard and had a friend toss him all of his vinyl records and he would hit them with a baseball bat. That sounds like a lot more fun than burning them.

Some people might try to sell them, or give them away -I remember that when I was a young man a Christian had given me all of his comic books, I was in heaven. However if we look at biblical examples these things were our idols, so we should burn or destroy them.

Then again, we don't tell someone who has an idol of materialism to burn all our posessions, we tell them to give them away -because not everyone has an idol of materialism.

I would say that if you're listening to all the same music you used to listen to than you need to pray about it, because now a lot of music that I used to listen to before I became a Christian pains my ears. I'll catch myself singing along, then listen to what I'm singing and be disgusted with myself -even things that I thought were innocent like the Beatles.

Listen for the voice of the Spirit in the matter.

2007/2/28 10:45Profile
BradW

Edmonton, AB, Canada

Re:

Quote:
Brad, where do you live, I'll make sure to avoid visiting!

OUCH! One comment (not directed at anyone)and you've condemned me and many others here.
Quote:
your hearts are hard

Please forgive me if I'm blind.

2007/2/28 10:58Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Can't you tell I was being sarcastic... oh yeah, I didn't write that in my well thought out reply to your well thought out post.

2007/2/28 11:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy