SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Be Gentle

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mattie

Be Gentle

Many times I've noticed when there are members of the site inquiring about a topic in Scripture, or asking an honest question, or seeking counsel regarding something, there are some who tend to throw Scriptures at them, pound them, and almost have a religous attitude towards them like they're out of their mind.

It's not like there is a rebellion or blatant sin taking place. It's simply an inquiring heart.

We've got to be careful that as much as we need Holiness and Hell-fire preaching, we must keep ourselves from developing an in your face attitude with every soul that comes. Gentleness is fruit of the Spirit. Jesus was meek and lowly in heart.

Here are some exhortations in Scripture:

2 Timothy 2:24 "The Lord's bondservant must not be quarrelsome, but be KIND TO ALL, able to teach, patient when wronged, with GENTLENESS correcting those who are in opposition..." (if we are to be gentle in correcting those who oppose, how much more should we be gentle with those who have honest questions in life?)

Titus 3:2 "...gentle, showing consideration to all men"

Galatians 6:1 "if any man is caught in a trespass, you who are spiritual, should restore such a one in a SPIRIT OF GENTLENESS, each one looking for yourself, lest you too be tempted"

There is such a thing as righteous anger and zeal. But many who say they have righteous zeal can tend to come across more as angry, bitter and proud - concerned more about "our opinion" than the edification of the other person.

I say this in love to be more careful with inquiring hearts, some maybe even new in their walks with God. Let's take heed to how we respond.

2007/2/13 22:06Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Be Gentle

Great point Mattie. This reminds me of an illustration on meekness...

[i]Soft Answers to Rough Questions[/i]
A missionary in Jamaica was once questioning some little boys on the meaning of Matthew 5:5 and asked, "Who are the meek?" A boy answered, "Those who give soft answers to rough questions." We shall do well to remember this child's definition. The one who has wisdom in his head and heart does not need to shout at others. Wisdom speaks softly and persuasively, instead of impelling and forcing. Through the use of our tongues people will know whether we are wise or not. As that great theologian, Charles Hodge, said, "The doctrines of grace humble a man without degrading him and exalt him without inflating him."

In Christ,

Ron

2007/2/13 22:22Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: a mouth full of salt?

Ron and Mattie, have recently had this verse come to mind

[i] Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.[/i]

2007/2/13 22:28Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

A very good admonition Mattie, thanks

2007/2/13 23:26Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Just ran across this and hope it will be alright to add this here. From Romans 15

[i]We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.[/i]

2007/2/13 23:48Profile
Koheleth

NC

I give a hearty amen to a good word. Not just for others, but for myself. May I ever be so gentle, both on these forums and everywhere. What an amazing demonstration of God it would be if every conversation were gentle.

2007/2/14 0:02Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

Out of the mouth of babes...[color=009900]"Who are the meek?" A boy answered, "Those who give soft answers to rough questions." [/color]

Thank you or such a gentle admonition.

In His Love,

Doug

2007/2/14 0:34Profile
goi

Re:

Hi,

i am just popping in :)

This is an interesting discussion.
Very edifying thoughts.. but i ask myself:
When is the time for a "hard" word?
I believe that Jesus was gentle and meek, but sometimes he spoke a hard word. Sometimes he got loud.

And when you listen to some of the preachers on this site, i believe they are gentle, and they are wise...but some sermons are really "hard" .

When should a hard word come forth, from the pulpit and in our personal lives?
I hope you understand what i mean by a hard word.

Just one example:
A call to anguish.

Is this even our job in our personal lives to exhort people around us this way?

Well, first i have to exhort my self...

Goi

2007/2/14 13:47Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Goi, Thanks for sharing. I believe you brought balance in the conversation.

Everything just seems to lead back into the importance of being lead by the Spirit.

2007/2/14 14:11Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Jesus at times was as a lamb, he is also described as a lion sometimes, as said above led by the spirit....

2007/2/14 14:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy