SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Whats the difference?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
JennRich

Alabama

Re: End Justifying Means, and salvation

Yeah, I don't think I've ever actually heard the phrase "the means justifying the end" -- only the other way around.

Regarding salvation. . . the first thing that comes to my mind is the increasingly common method of "getting people saved" by having them perform some [i]action[/i]. Such as, "Just pray this prayer. If you really mean it with all your heart, you'll be saved." Or, "Walk to the front during the invitation if you want to be saved." In this case, the end DEFINITELY doesn't justify the means, because these methods are not authorized by God's Word. Salvation comes from Him, not from some act that we do.

But many Christians are very well-meaning in telling these things to lost people. They want to see them saved. Unfortunately this has led to tons of people in the world who [i]think[/i] they're saved because they remember a specific act they did, and somebody with authority told them they were saved as a result.

Concerning this topic, let me take the opportunity to spread the word about the [color=990000]True Church Conference[/color] which will be held at my church this May! The theme is "The Miracle of Conversion." Speakers include Voddie Baucham and Paul Washer. Check out this website: http://www.ait.fbcms.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=158&Itemid=38

2007/2/14 22:15Profile
warriorofgod

Re:

Thank you all. I have abetter understanding now.

2007/2/19 4:35Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

tjservant wrote:
Christ was the means (sacrifice) for the ends (our salvation).

He provided the ends by being the means.

I don't know if you realise that this is only half of the gospel. The other half is:

Salvation is the means (redemption) for the end of sanctification (ie, Christ in you, the hope of glory).

To quote Norman Grubb, "It isn't 'Christ and...', it's 'Christ only!!'." He is the means for our restoration, in order that we can be the "reward of His suffering".

"For of him, and through him, and to him, [i]are[/i] all things: to whom [i]be[/i] glory for ever. Amen." [b]Rom 11:36[/b]

2007/2/19 7:54Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Thank you for posting this. I wasn’t trying to present the Gospel, just give the original poster an example, but I guess I should have given the rest of it.

Thank you.

TJ

2007/2/19 8:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy