SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : God Hates sinners

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Provost

God Hates sinners

I listened to some radio preachers discuss how Scripture is "very clear" that God hates sinners. They were saying that we are not to hate the sin but love the sinner, but to hate the sinner as well.
The violence that God was inflicting upon his enemies was the proof they were using. Saying that only if you hated someone would you take such violent action.
I believe that the preachers did not first look at God before interpreting the Scriptures. I am not saying that I can make sense of all violent scriptures, but I believe the Bible is clear that God doesn't hate in a humanly sense of hatred, and also would not promote God as taking emotive action because he hated someone. The way I would take verses where God calls for violence is; our Loving God is pouring his just recompense and judgement upon a non-repentant sinner. I do not know how to interperet every verse, but I would not say God hates in a human sense as was being described.

Psalm 58 and Galatians 1:9 were two of the verses the preachers used to back up their thoughts

2007/2/12 15:25Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re: God Hates sinners

Well, I'm going to make a bold statement about this one. I am going to wager that the men who believe this have not read the new testament.

The New Testament teaches that now men are storing up wrath for the day of judgement. Rather than it being dished out now.

Paul writes:

Romans 5:8
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

God does not hate sinners, they are his creation which he called good in the garde of eden.

He does hate sin, and cannot tolerate it.

2007/2/12 15:47Profile

Re:

I agree with Ben.

This is akin to the "God Hates Fags" church out in Kansas. They are a perfect example of where this type of "doctrine" will lead if it is let alone to fester and boil.

I would recommend you find another radio station to listen to. I'm not recommending a classic rock station, but I believe it would be better than listen to some Christian station that doesnt have enough sense to not play teaching like that!

Krispy

2007/2/12 15:53
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: God Hates sinners

Hi Provost,

I agree with you here. We always have to be careful how we present God. Sometimes we think God is like 'us'. We get angry when we see sin and injustice so we think God gets angry in the [i]same[/i] way. Yet, the wrath of man does not work the righteousness of God.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without variance, without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace. (James 3:17)

Sometimes God has to use horrendous circumstances to teach us about Himself. He cannot have His person being misrepresented and He knows exactly how to teach us. He is the Master Teacher. And these lessons are not pleasant. God knows how to bring us low. It would be terrible to have to learn certain lessons about God the hard way- but if that's what it takes- then that's what it takes. God is Love. He that loveth not knoweth not God. When God expresses His love it is in harmony with His character. His is [i]peaceable, gentle, easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without variance, without hypocrisy[/i].

Sometimes we think we are the more spiritual because me are harder and sharper in our dealings with men and our representation of God. I think this is a deception.

For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; (Hebrews 7:26)

Jesus Christ was the perfect representation of God's person. How he handled people is how God handles people. When we read the Psalms we need to filter our interpretations through the person of Jesus Christ. God IS a God of judgment, but God is not willing that any should perish.

Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live. (Ezekiel 33:11)

2007/2/12 16:12Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
God does not hate sinners, they are his creation which he called good in the garde of eden.

God does hate sinners.(Psalms 5:5, Psalms 7:11) Most people think that His hate contridicts His love but it does not. It usually should be explained rather than just proclaimed.

2007/2/12 16:14Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Krispy: I would recommend you find another radio station to listen to. I'm not recommending a classic rock station, but I believe it would be better than listen to some Christian station that doesnt have enough sense to not play teaching like that!

I agree with Krispy. These things have a great influence on us. I must admit that I have thought the very same things myself here of late. Where is modern Christian Radio going these days? :-?

2007/2/12 16:16Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
They were saying that [b]we[/b] are not to hate the sin but love the sinner, but to hate the sinner as well.

I disagree with this for sure!

2007/2/12 16:18Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
The New Testament teaches that now men are storing up wrath for the day of judgement. Rather than it being dished out now.

I believe this may be the key to rightly understanding the idea of God hating unrepentant sinners. It needs to be understood in an ultimate context, in a final judgment context. God saw Gideon threshing grain in a wine press and called him a mighty man of valor. Jesus renamed Simon to Peter long before he was really made a rock. In each case God called the man by what he would become and not for what he was in the present. I believe we need to understand God hating the unrepentant sinner in the same way, in the sense of someone who goes through their whole life without repenting or believing.

Richard Owen Roberts touches upon this subject, among others, in his excellent series of messages titled [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=279]Change Our Hearts [/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2007/2/12 16:21Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Do you guys see love and hate as polar opposites (primarily speaking of it in realation to God's character)?

2007/2/12 16:22Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Hi Preach,

Quote:
It usually should be explained rather than just proclaimed.

It might be quite edifying to give us some thoughts on how this plays out. I'm sure you have thought this through and would enjoy hearing how you would present Psalm 5:5 and 11:5? Would it be wise to use these passages in soul winning?

2007/2/12 16:23Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy