SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should Christians Watch Hollywood Movies?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re: Should Christians Watch Hollywood Movies?

Last movie I watched was "Luther"... came out in '03 I think, starring Joseph Fiennes. I liked it; although, I'm not an expert on the life of Luther.

2007/2/2 4:49Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Russell Crowe said 'God be praised'?

No wonder he won an Oscar!

2007/2/2 7:12Profile

Re:

I thought "Gods and Generals" was an incredible movie that showed the REAL spirituality of many of the commanding officers during the War Against Northern Agression (the Civil War).

Stonewall Jackson was shown reading the Bible with his wife, praying every 5 minutes, giving God the glory for even the most minute details of his life...

My favorite line in the movie was after a battle, and someone on Jackson's staff asked him as they were surveying the littered battle field how he (Jackson) could remain so calm thru all the carnage... and Jackson replied:

[i]"Mr. Smith, my religious faith teaches me that God has already fixed the time of my death; therefore, I think not of it. I am as calm in battle as I would be in my own parlor. God will come for me in his own time."[/i]

Oh, that we would all live in that way!

As for the Nativity Story... I was not aware that the girl was 16 and pregnant. Is there proof of this? And if this is true... I hope the message of the movie she was in got thru to her, and that God would use her participation in the movie to bring her to salvation.

See... if we want to we can find something negative about anything, we will. If thats what you want to do, be my guest. I'll not be the judge of that girl, and in fact, I have sympathy for her.

A pregnant girl playing Mary doesnt bother me nearly as much as a homosexual actor portraying a brave missionary who was killed by the people he was attempting to reach. And it wasnt the fact that he was gay that set me against that movie... it was the attitudes of the CHRISTIAN producers and directors that saw nothing wrong with it. It was a Christian movie made by Christians... and starred a sodomite. At least the Nativity Story is a Hollywood movie made by Hollywood producers who dont know any better. Why would we expect them to?

This is not the same as warning of false doctrines in the teachings of well known Christian leaders. We all know what we should fill our minds with as Christians. We have no business watching trashy movies. Thats not up for debate.

So my wife and I go and see The Nativity Story... and we were really blessed. It Biblically accurate (which doesnt happen often) and the Lord really opened my eyes to the humanity of Joseph especially. And then along comes the wet blanket patrol to ruin it for everyone... what is your point???

It's like the guy who hears bad news and gets joy out of telling everyone. You're not warning people of bad doctrine like scripture commands that we do. You're not marking and avoiding false teachers, as scripture commands that we do. So what is it you're trying to do by picking apart a good movie that accurately portrays the birth of Christ? (Except for the wise men being at the stable, which they were not)

Ya know one of the movies that really effected me and really got me thinking about Jesus, and considering the fact that I needed a savior? Jesus of Nazereth mini-series that was on TV one Easter week back in the 1990's. Accurate? Not completely. Hollywood? Definately. Effected my heathen heart? Absolutely.

Glad I didnt run into you then... you would have ruined it for me.

Krispy

2007/2/2 7:59
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Krispy,

All I was asking is what people thought about Hollywood movies in light of Eph. 5. Asking for them to view what they watch in light of Scripture. I'm not looking for dirt on everyone, but just trying to show that Hollywood is corrupt to the core. Even the so called "Christian" movies are corrupted by the world.

The thing about the pregnant girl playing Mary was on WND. It was on in December, so you might be able to find if you look there. When I mentioned that I was trying to make a point that even the in the "Christian" movies there is compromise. Why compromise for entertainment, was the main question of the post.

Jordan

2007/2/2 9:18Profile

Re:

Jordan...

In retrospect I think my words in my last post came across as harsh, when in fact I did not intend for them to be that way. Forgive me, please, for that.

I guess when it comes to the compromise you speak of, I look at it like this; I dont have any control over Hollywood except with my wallet. I think we all understand that we are told in scripture to set our affections on the things above, and we are also told what things we should think on. So most movies are out of the question for believers.

As for the good movies, but compromised in some way... such as a pregnant 16 yr old girl playng Mary... I think each believer needs to seek the Lord about it. I saw it. I was blessed by it. God revealed some things to me thru it. If someone else cant do it for conscience sake, then they would be sinning if they saw it.

It boils down to meat sacrificed to idols. We are free in Jesus to eat meat sacrificed to idols, yet some believers get hung up on the fact that they were sacrificed to idols. That believer sins if he does eat it because he is doing something he believes is wrong. The first believer doesnt.

Eating the meat is not the sin. Going against your conscience is the sin. So for me... I saw the movie and was blessed. For you, dont see it or you'll be sinning agaisnt your conscience.

There really isnt a scripture that you can succesfully apply to this issue... meaning should we see a movie about Christ made by unbelievers, yet is accurate, yet has a pregnant unwed woman playing Mary. This is definately a grey area.

So... I will exercise my Christian liberty. You will choose not to sin against your conscience... and we will [b]both[/b] be right.

Krispy

2007/2/2 9:35
Tears_of_joy

Re: Should Christians Watch Hollywood Movies?

Quote:
Should we even be watching the so called "clean" ones...

Hi Jordan, my answer is simple - no.

Personally I regret for almost every so called "neutral" movie that I have seen in my past years as a christian. These "neutral" movies can be even more dangerous than those that all of us admit that are evil. So much, so much garbage is flowing into our minds. Believe me, it will reflect on us sooner or later. We don't need that, we don't need it. We don't need more corruption into our minds, it was enough! Let's say stop, and let's say "we are finished with the world".

Phi 4:8 [b]Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.[/b]

Oh for more clean and godly thoughts and [b]eyes[/b]!

"If I could push the door of heaven and you could peep through it for 5 min. you will never backslide! You'd change your lifestyle, you'd change your conversation style, you'd change your eating style, you'd change everything! Listen, you and I are supposed to be eternity conscious; [b]the world out there is blind and dumb and deaf and it's crazy!" [/b] - LR

I like very much the example with the glass, I will quote another brother from this forum:

"I was ministering to my family, and I asked one of my sons to go get a "clear glass" and fill it almost full of water. When he returned, I asked him to take a small drink of it which he readily did.
Then I went outside and got just a pinch of dirt. I came back in and dropped the pinch of dirt in the glass of water. It quickly settled on the bottom of the glass. The water still looked really clear. I asked him to take another drink. He of course balked quickly. I asked him why wouldn't he take a drink. "Because you put dirt in it". I challenged him that it was only a very small amount of dirt. Yet he insisted that the small amount of dirt rendered the entirety of the water unfit to drink.
I then asked him was this not like going to a movie with only a "few cuss words" or only "one sex scene"? You see, it does not take but one small sin to render our vessel impure. Purity should always be our goal. God will clean us up when we repent. But we have a responsibility to keep guard over our vessel and keep the dirt out. Had my son placed his hand over the opening of the glass, I could not have put the dirt in.
Take note that the small pinch of dirt did not displace the water inside. The water was still there and 100% water. But it was no longer useful for quenching a thirst.
It's the same thing with the living water, beloved. It only takes a small sin or disobedience to the leading of the Holy Spirit to render us ineffective in our witness. Oh you may get a desperately thristy person to drink. But you will generally be refused and ignored.
[b]Oh God how I long to be holy and pure. Help me not to confuse the evil thoughts and temptations of my already crucified flesh with the joy of knowing that the blood of Jesus has made me Holy and Pure. Help me oh God to guard my holiness imputed to me. Help me to value it as a great treasure. Give me the heart and mind of Jesus, that would even suffer death rather than mar the honor of Your glory oh Lord. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen and amen."[/b]

Amen!

2007/2/2 9:48Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Krispy,

Thanks for your response. If you feel that's how the Lord is leading you, that's great!

I pray I didn't offend you in any way. If I did please forgive me.

In Christ, Jordan

2007/2/2 12:54Profile

Re:

No offense taken... thanx for helping me see that my own response didnt come out right. Hard to do on a forum, ya know?

Krispy

2007/2/2 13:49

Re: here's a prime example

of when a poster on this forum, should consider and pray, "Lord, should I hit the 'submit' button.

Paul....(long sigh) we are all entitled to our own opinions in this here U.S. of A, God be praised, but all I did was to share my heart and to share my feelings on the subject of should "Christians" watch movies, and I shared what i thought was a special moment in a film, one of me and my son's favorites, where the Captain of a British warship gave praise to God for a badly needed wind, and then you decide to post and your first line is:

Quote:
Though I haven't seen this movie,

don't you think that maybe, that was the point you should have reconsidered hitting the 'submit' button, because then you go on to say,
Quote:
I think I'd be sick to my stomach if I heard Russel Crowe say "Praise the Lord." I'm of the conviction that if you don't live it, I really don't want to hear you say it. Especially in a fake movie, with a fake backdrop, fake wind, fake piety

First of all, you didnt see the film, so why tee off? Second of all he didnt say "Praise the Lord", he said 'God be praised', and third,how do you where Russell Crowe is at in his heart?

hmm?

did you just have a bad day or something? and needed to vent?
Quote:
To hear God's Name coming from a man or woman who doesn't live it - who outright practices iniguity and lawlesness - well, this is just rotten, vile, disgusting, putird death

and then this Christ-like gem from your heart onto your keyboard:

Quote:
Actors, actors, actors. It's going to be a terrible day when all their "masks" come off. Lot's of Christian actors, too - and I don't just mean the guys on TV and low-budget movies. Real Christian actors, the brilliant stage-performers who change like chamelions once they return to their dressing rooms. But how can this be? In Christ there are no actors; only real men and women, as real as you can get. I really don't think two words could have more of an opposite meaning than the words "actor" and "Christian".

now probably after you read this back and the Holy Spirit convicted you , you in the next line laid out this 'edit'

Quote:
(edit) Hey Bart - this isn't an attack on you. Man, why is it I always think I need to lay down a disclaimer with you!

followed by a cute lil smiley face.

ha ha ha.

and in closing you iced the cake :

Quote:
Big Bart, I know you condsider yourself an actor - a "working" actor - and I am not indicting you; I am just making a generalization on the term "actor." Russel Crowe may not perturb you by saying what he says, but that thing you mentioned just rubbed me wrong.

no Paul, I don't "consider" myself an actor, I am, I make my living from it, it pays for my son's clothes, his vacations, my apartment, my car, my tithes, the food I eat, the food I share.

I'm an artist, thats the gifting that God has given for His Glory, and frankly I don't care if a harmless reference I make to a film in an attempt to have some degree of fellowship "rubs you the wrong way".....thats your problem, and obviously an area you need more growth in, or self examination in conjunction with God the Holy Ghost, but I'll tell ya what Paul...you are the "straw"...the straw that broke the camel's back.

I have had it with this forum. I have made some great blessed friendships on this forum, but there is an ill wind blowing here, and you can apologize later and I forgive you, but this forum is no place for me to be edified, in fact quite the opposite.

So God bless you sir and may He favor your wind,

neil

2007/2/3 4:39
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i personally don't watch movies that often, but i know God can use movies, my friend got saved after he watched the left behind movies.... he was raised in a Christian home, i don't want to talk doctrines in that movie, i don't agree whit it all, but there is unsaved ungodly actors in that movie... but God used that movie to awaken my friend.... he was convicted and two days later he was saved.... if i was to recommend anything i would say don't watch movies, instead go pray or read the scriptures... but i know for a fact God can use movies.. and if it wasn't for the grace of God i still would be watching the filthiest kinds of movies ever made as i used to! but praise GOD! he cleansed me, gave me a new mind new heard and new desernment... there are wonderful movies.... there are awful movies Christians shouldn't even talk about...but we need to choose wisely...will this movie build up my walk whit Christ? will this movie give me more love?more compassion for the lost? a better prayer life? make me a better witness for Christ in front of my children and family? if it dont...then don't watch...if it does watch...we often make this issue harder then it is...

2007/2/3 5:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy