SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : You Know You're Visiting a Bad Church If...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

This happened to my wife and I...

You remove your children from childrens' church because the teacher admonishes the children to read their Bible everyday... and then admits to the children that she hasnt read hers in about a month because she is "too busy"...

... and THEN, because we've removed our children from childrens' church we get called into the pastor's office one Wednesday night and get accused of being divisive.

... and THEN, after I inform the pastor that [b]I[/b] am the man who has to answer to God for how my children are raised, and for the things they are exposed to and taught... he informs me that I am wrong. The church is responsible for our children.

We never stepped foot inside that church again.

(He and I also butted heads over other things... mainly doctrines. This was when my wife and I were beginning to really question the whole Charismatic Word Of Faith/Prosperity Gospel movement... because we started reading more of the Bible and less WOF authors/teachers)

Krispy

2007/2/5 9:38
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

You know you might be a Pharisee if on a Sermonindex post you pray and thank God that you're not like this or that church who does this or that wrong doctrine etc.

2007/2/5 12:12Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
You know you might be a Pharisee if on a Sermonindex post you pray and thank God that you're not like this or that church who does this or that wrong doctrine etc.

Brother I believe that you are not right in saying this. I do not believe anyone here has said anything out of a self righteous heart.
To accuse others because you think you know the intent of their heart is wrong. Some may have even been helped to heal over these experiences by having a place to at least laugh over the hideous things that go on in buildings today.

Also, by your thinking men like Luther, Knox, and the others who revolted or spoke out against the Roman Catholic Church should have been ashamed of themselves for daring to say that the RC system was wrong.

If it is pharisaical to speak our experiences(good or bad), then give me a phylactery. For I know that we as a family should be able to share and support one another without the accusations of being bitter, or being a Pharisee.
Maybe the pharisee is the one who ridicules those who speak against the religious system, as was the case when Christ walked the earth.;-)

2007/2/5 12:24Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

After reading the posts on this thread I really cannot say honestly that this was edifying, encouraging, but instead it left me sick to the stomach, both at the truth of what was being said and the chagrin of the people saying it! It's all sick!

I myself said one thing, which in retrospect I am equally ashamed of, I feel dirty having added anything to this thread.

2007/2/5 12:27Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

I have only read 2 or three posts in this thread. So while I realize I am speaking without examining the whole matter, I accept the responsibility for it. There is just something about this thread that ties a sink line to my heart.
In Christ,
Hope

2007/2/5 12:31Profile
HopeinChrist

Re:

You know you're attending a bad church if....1909 views

What True Prayer is....63 views

Mercy and Truth....30 views

???????
Hope

2007/2/5 12:38Profile

Re:

Before everyone jumps off the deep end here... let me say a few things.

Over the course of this thread I have been both encouraged AND saddened by the truth that has come out. I think this thread is a thermometer of where the church is today. No one wants to critisize some of the wordly practices that have come into the church today because to do so isnt politically correct, and someone might get offended.

Well, truth is offensive sometimes.

If anyone has posted here with an impure heart, then that's between them and God. But I don't see anyone here mocking any churches, or doing this for laughs. There is a heaviness to this thread among the humor. People relating experiences they have had is good and healthy. No one has named names of any churches. No pastors have been named.

If a church is worldly, doesn't preach the truth, is afraid to preach the name of Jesus, is here to entertain, and avoids ever preaching passages of scripture such as Leviticus 18-20... then they have no business calling themselves "Christian" churches anyway... because they are not.

No one here is critisizing true Biblical churches. No one here is critisizing a particular doctrine. The main thrust of this thread is exposing the worldliness of most "churches" in America and Europe. Personally, I havent found that much humor on this thread because it's rather sad to see the truth of the matter.

And as a thermometer... this thread shows that many "churches" in America today are not even luke warm... they are cold. Many are not even "Christian". They just call themselves that.

Call me a Pharisee if you want to. The Pharisees followed the Law, but their hearts were far from God. They didn't do what they did to please God, they did it to impress everyone and to achieve positions of power.

If you know this to be true about me, then alright. I'm a Pharisee. But if you don't know me (which you don't), and you don't know my heart (which you don't) ... then you are judging me in a way that scripture forbids. And that's a precarious position to put yourself in. You're putting yourself in God's position when you judge my heart and motives.

You can weigh my actions against scripture, but when you judge a man's heart, you better be careful.

Krispy

2007/2/5 13:26
Compton

Re:

I appreciate your sensitivity guys. I apologize for any offense or tainting.

For what it's worth I certainly don't see this as us being better then them...I was talking about the church I was attending.

While in prayer last week I raised the issue of worldliness in the church and a brother, who believed he could see my heart, said, "Well that's just because you've been hurt by other Christians."

I replied with some dissapointment in his comment..."I was talking about us brothers. I wouldn't have believed in 'almost Christians' unless I had known my own story."

That having been said...it's a tragic subject that if discussed poorly can often hurt more then help. While I think people were just sharing, I can see how this thread can be percieved as glib and self-righteous.

Ian, your complaint is understood and well recieved. Again I am most sorry if my contributions, which were admittedly cynical, also seemed self-righteous. They probably were.

Foolish talk is a hard habit to break.

MC

2007/2/5 13:36Profile
JennRich

Alabama

Re:

Reading this thread has been good for me, because it's broken my heart afresh for the state of many churches in our country today. I've been praying much more over them.

2007/2/5 15:42Profile

Re:

I would like to echo what Compton said... on the surface someone could perceive this thread as "holier than thou", but I would ask that people read the posts carefully. I don't think people are saying "I'm so glad I'm not like those people!". I think people are saying we are all in desperate need for revival. If some of these examples are any indication... the church is in trouble. Some of the foolishness that goes on in churches today is appalling.

I also think this thread has been very healthy for some people because they realize "Hey... I'm not the only one out there who sees these things!"

I don't know about anyone else, but I know when I was a part of the "institutional church" I was made to feel like an odd-ball because I didn't go along with "the program". Even made to feel like there was something wrong with me spiritually.

Come to find out... no, I was reading [i]just[/i] the Bible, and being taught by the Holy Spirit (as Jesus promised He would do) instead of being deceived by Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland etc. (I will name those people because they are false teachers)

Krispy

2007/2/5 15:43

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy