SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Concerning God's Grace

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

JaySaved wrote:
Quote:
Grace is unconditionally given. That's God's part, His gift, that man can only respond by an exercise of his faith. I'm sure you've read that somewhere.

Grace received is man's part, conditional upon his receiving it. That should be clear and simple.

A study must be done concerning saving grace and saving faith.

I thought we just did that. What, ...not convinced?

Quote:
Saving grace is given by God to those whom He chooses to regenerate. This grace is not extended to all people. (I know that is unpopular teaching, but it is scriptural.)

Nonsense and figured you finally come out of the closet on this.

Titus 3:3 "For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Notice where we were
-Slaves to sin.

Notice what happened
-God saved us.

Notice how salvation did not happen
-Through works done in righteousness.

Notice how salvation did happen
-His mercy, by the washing of regeneration.

How were we justified?
-By His grace poured out on us.

Who is the 'us' spoken of?
-All who receive the regenerating grace.

Saving grace is different than common grace. I agree with you statement:
Quote:
the sun shines on the just and the unjust equally

This is common grace.
But it is Grace given that can be influential in turning one's face towards God, isn't it. You just don't/won't get it.

Saving grace is regenerating grace. It is only through the regenerating grace that we can love God in the first place.

You overlooked a verse from the same writer:

Titus 2:11 (KJV)
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

2007/1/23 19:41
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Genesis 6:8 (KJV)
"But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord."

Question for Jay: If you believe, and you must, that God's is arbitrary in giving out His "unmerited favor", how come no one else found Grace in the eyes of the Lord? How come with so much riding on this human event and tragety, Noah was the only one? What was God's reason for choosing Noah? Scripture chapter and verse, please.

By arbitrary are you speaking as Romans 9:15-16 says, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy."

As for the rest of your post, this is a common objection.

You believe that the reason Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD is because he "was a righteous man, blameless in his generation." and that he "walked with God." (Genesis 6:9)

I say that the reason Noah was righteous to begin with and blameless in his generation is because he had the grace of God. This is why he walked with God.

So I believe that the grace caused the righteousness and you believe that the righteousness caused the grace.

Who is right? and who is wrong?

Let us go to scripture!
In 1 Corinthians 15:10 Paul speaks about himself:
"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me."

It appears that it was the grace of God that caused Paul to be who he was. Do you see a parallel with Noah?

Now, I come back to the original scripture I shared in this discussion--Romans 11:5-6
"So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace."

What is the context of these verses? Romans 11:2-4,
"Do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he appeals to God against Israel? "Lord, they have killed your prophets, they have demolished your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life." But what is God's reply to him? "I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal."

Who kept them from bowing the knee to Baal? God!

In conclusion, Noah was righteous because of God's grace. Noah did not earn his grace. God kept Noah righteous to preserve humanity and not completely wipe it out.

2007/1/23 19:44Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
You overlooked a verse from the same writer:

Titus 2:11 (KJV)
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

What is the context of Titus 2?

Is Paul not speaking of Older men, Older women, Young women, Young men, slaves, masters, and all sorts of people?

Do you see this distinction? Please read Dr. John Gill on this matter:
but this is to be understood of all sorts of men, of every nation, of every age and sex, of every state and condition, high and low, rich and poor, bond and free, masters and servants; which sense well agrees with the context, Tit_2:2 and the words are a reason why the apostle would have duty urged on all sorts of persons, because the Gospel was now preached to all; and it had reached the hearts of all sorts of men; particularly the Gentiles may be intended from whom the Gospel was before hid, and who sat in darkness, and in the shadow of death; but now the great light shined upon them, and the Gospel was no more confined to one people only, but was preached to every creature under heaven, or to the whole creation; namely, to the Gentiles, pursuant to the commission in Mar_16:15.

2007/1/23 19:53Profile

Re:

Argue this with someone else, You are going circular beyond my willingness to further engage you, as is what usually happens when a 5 pointer can't explain the scripture they offer up for prove texting they have learned.. Please don't take my backing away from this discussion as a sign I have nothing further to say. I just believe at this point, given your unsoundness and willful attempt at manipulately my words, must bow out, leaving you to your flower bed.

Regards

2007/1/23 20:04
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Ormly,

I agree that it would be wise to end this discussion since we obviously hold to two different views on this issue and neither one of us feel compelled to budge.

I do ask that you would disagree with a little less sarcasm. It has been more difficult to engage in this discussion because of it. I understand that you disagree with me, I accept that and do not think badly of you. What is hard is for the snide comments directed at myself. Please know that I have done my best to treat you with the utmost respect. All I ask is for the same in return.

2007/1/23 21:43Profile

Re:

Quote:

JaySaved wrote:
Ormly,

I agree that it would be wise to end this discussion since we obviously hold to two different views on this issue and neither one of us feel compelled to budge.

I do ask that you would disagree with a little less sarcasm. It has been more difficult to engage in this discussion because of it. I understand that you disagree with me, I accept that and do not think badly of you. What is hard is for the snide comments directed at myself. Please know that I have done my best to treat you with the utmost respect. All I ask is for the same in return.

But that is just another false remark from you to which my sarcasm has been addressed. Dishonesty-misuse of scripture, however justified you may believe it is to do so, and false accusatons deserve nothing less, that your attention be made alive, especially after it been pointed out to you who has twisted my words and argument for personal advantage. Its not honest nor is it Christian.

Further comments on this subject from me will not be directed to you but rest assure you have, for many reasons, further solidified my opinion concerning the issue of God's Grace.

However, I do want to apologize to any/all who have observed this discussion who may have been offended by my responses to you however well intended by me. Knowing that it is always difficult to speak without saying wrongly, that which you wish to convey, my choice of words/writing ability is always suspect in my own mind. I do my best to say what I mean and mean what I say, without sarcasm when ever possible.

2007/1/24 8:01

Re:

I am submitting this not because I am persuaded that many suffer from delusional thinking but rather a fear that many, whose salvation is not, nor can be verified to their satifisfaction, to be made secure to them, based upon a message that can not produce the peace of God. The dogma-doctrine I speak of can only produce discomfort in the practice of it because it produces nothing but a fatalism to the hearer/practioner. It does so by rendering the scriptures, unexplainable; a mystery that demands there be no inquiry because it has no answers that can satisfy the inquiring sincere mind. Things just are the way they are and man, by his actions/faith, cannot persuade God in His choosing and His Judgment, nor the giving of His Grace. Though scripture is repleat with examples, they are simply explained away by bad understanding of the context or lack of it, some scripture being able to stand alone.

Lets read:

Romans 9:15-16 says, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy."

Based on what, man’s ongoing sin without regard to the Mercy of God, the Grace shown by His Mercy? Man’s obstinacy? I don't believe God can be or has ever been arbitrary in His dealings with man.

Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD is because he "was a righteous man, blameless in his generation." and that he "walked with God." (Genesis 6:9)

Noah indeed found favor with God because Noah honored God, honor being something that can only be advanced toward God from a freewill in response to the revelation of who it is to be honored; the Grace of God given to all men. If God's Grace cannot be refused by man, why didn't men, other than Noah, respond to it? If you say it was God's Sovereignty then you are saying God is unjust, unmerciful, which He is never because He can violte who He is. Therefore, God did gave His Grace and man it was who refused it, coming only to their senses after the door was shut and by then, it was too late. Noah warned them for over 100yrs, but they would not believe. They would not turn to God for His Grace, as they did not turn to the ark for what is was about to accomplish, the saving of the remnant.

This is acknowledged by the writer of Titus 2:11 (NASB-U)
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,

In Noah's case, only he and his family because he was the only left who honored God by/with his life.

This is supported by 1 Tim. 2:4 (KJV)
"....Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth."

And then we have this that more specifically supports the necessity of man’s participation in the matter that has influence with God, able to change His Mind:

Titus 1:1 (NASB-U)
Paul, a bond-servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the faith of those chosen of God and the knowledge of the truth which is according to [Man’s] godliness...[emphasis mine]

Hebrews 10:26 (NASB-U)
For [if] we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Scripture, such as the verse below only point up the application of Grace based on the foreknowledge of God that can not be separated out to mean God chose Paul in an arbitrary manner. Paul met certain criteria for which and by which God chose him. Of course, we all know Paul needed a little help in understanding this that caused him to state what he stated as the truth of what really happened, God only foreknowing this about Paul.

"But by the grace of God [the revelation of Christ Jesus] I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. ………” [The revelation of Himself that caused me to come to my senses.... He knew I would under the proper circumstances of His Grace] [Emphasis/commentary, mine]

The rest of the verse is simply honor to God for His mercy in the matter, enabling His Grace for/to others through his own ministry.

Romans 11:2-4,
"Do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he appeals to God against Israel? "Lord, they have killed your prophets, they have demolished your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life." But what is God's reply to him? "I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal."

Romans 11:5-6
"So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace."

The above verses, though seen as arbitrary by some, are not, simply because God’s Grace is never arbitrary.
Why would there ever be a remnant? A remnant connotes a people who once were. In this case, folk who were once in the Grace/Favor of God. This is not unlike the situation in the time of the flood or the destruction of Sodom. There was that very small remnant then, however, time and procreation had its way of multiplying the very few to become the very many who will, without God’s intervention, will once again become the very few. Why? ---Because they will lose their love to, for, and of God. It will wax cold. Even some of the very elect will be deceived to return to their existence away from the God of their salvation. From Peter is this:

“For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. [21] For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. [22] But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. 2 Peter 2:20-22 (KJV)

From Job is this:

Job 20:15 (KJV)
He [deceived man] hath swallowed down riches, and he shall vomit them up again: God shall cast them out of his belly. [emphasis mine]

It can be readily seen in the scriptures that God keeps those who keep Him, His keeping us the better in times of trial/faithlessness, however, discarding those who will not retain Him in their thinking. He is the great rewarder of those who diligently seek Him, especially with the whole heart.

One more thing that must be noted and remembered: There is no difference between God’s “saving Grace” and any other Grace God gifts to man. Most importantly to remember is that the Grace of God is NEVER, EVER, common.

If the Grace of God cannot be understood certainly His Sovereignty, Justice, Mercy and Holiness can never also be understood because they can not violate one another. This goes unnoticed by the unlearned.

I pray this will be a help to some who are searching for God's Amazing Grace.

"And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely". Rev. 22:17 (KJV
Peace,

Orm

2007/1/24 11:04

Re:

I like this from Oswald Chambers:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void [“waste and void,” rv]. (Genesis 1:1-2)

"Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. (Hebrews 11:3)
Fundamentally, chaos—the state of matter before it was reduced to order by the Creator—is not to be regarded necessarily as the result of Divine judgment but as the foundation of cosmos, like a painter’s palette where he mixes his colours: he sees in it what you cannot. “Bairns and fools shouldn’t see half-done work.” We must bear in mind that the constructed world of man we see to-day is not the created world of God. The basis of man’s life has had a formation put upon it which is not of God; what is needed is not the re-forming of the basis, but the removal of that which has been erected on the basis. If I build my life on the things which God did not form He will have to destroy them, shake them back into chaos. That is why whenever a man, moral or immoral, sees for the first time the light of God in Jesus Christ it produces conviction of sin, and he cries out, “Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.” When the Holy Spirit comes into a man “his beauty is consumed away,” the perfectly ordered completeness of his whole nature is broken up; then the Holy Spirit, brooding over the chaos that is produced, brings a word of God, and as that word is received and obeyed a new life is formed."

Chambers, O. 1958;2002. Our Portrait in Genesis;PORTGEN. Marshall Morgan and Scott

2007/1/24 12:58
JaySaved

Missouri

Re: Common Grace verses Saving Grace

I pray this helps clarify the difference between Common Grace and Saving Grace.

Common grace verses Saving Grace

Common Grace is grace from God that is distributed to all without distinction. The word Common is used not to belittle the worth or value of the grace, but to express that it is common to all men.

Examples of Common Grace found in scripture:

Matthew 5:44-45, “But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.”

Common Grace is manifested in sunshine and rain. Both of these are brought upon the evil and the good without distinction.

Psalm 145:9, “The LORD is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.”

Common Grace is apparent in that God shows mercy over all that He has made. No one can say that they have not been the recipient of God’s mercy in some fashion.

Psalm 145:15-16, “The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food in due season. You open your hand; you satisfy the desire of every living thing.”

Psalm 136:25, “he who gives food to all flesh, for his steadfast love endures forever.”

Once again Common Grace is shown in that God satisfies the desires of every living thing. God in His love and mercy shows grace to all creation. God provides food, rain, sunshine, happiness, laughter, etc. to every single living creature.

Acts 14:16-17, “In past generations he allowed all the nations to walk in their own ways. Yet he did not leave himself without witness, for he did good by giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness.”

God brought rains and fruitful seasons to all nations, not only the Jewish Nation. God satisfied the worlds hearts with plenty of food and gladness. These verses also tell us that common grace bears witness to the existence of God.

Common Grace is given to all by the mercy and goodness of God, but this grace does not apply to salvation, regeneration, justification, sanctification and glorification.

The Bible says in Romans 8:28-30
“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.”

These verses in Romans tell us that all of the people who are foreknown by God are predestined. In this predestination they are to be conformed to the image of Jesus. These verses then tell us that every single person predestined is also called by God. But it does not stop there because it says that every single person called by God is also justified by God. And finally, those who are justified by God are also glorified by God.

I emphasized ‘called by God’ for a reason. If every single person that is called by God is justified by God, then one of two options must be true:
(1) Either all men are called by God and thus all men are justified by God or
(2) Only certain men are called by God and thus only certain men are justified by God.
But what does the Scripture say? It says that all that are called are justified. Since we know that not all men are justified, then we must conclude from scripture that not all men are called. If all men are not called, then Common Grace must not be the mode used by God to call men to repentance.

Since Common Grace is common to all men without distinction yet salvation is only to those who are called, then another form of grace must be present in the calling by God. This may be referred to as either: Saving Grace, Irresistible Grace or Effectual Grace. This Grace is Saving in that it brings salvation to all it is bestowed upon. This Grace is Irresistible in that it cannot be resisted by the person it is bestowed upon (i.e., those who are called must be justified). This Grace is Effectual in that it is capable and able to accomplish what God desires.

John 6:37 speaks of this type of Saving Grace, “All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.”
Jesus clearly says that every single person whom God has given to Him (i.e., foreknown and predestined) will come to Him for salvation (i.e., those who are called). Those who come to Jesus for salvation will never be cast out (i.e., those who are called will also be justified and glorified.)

Here is where the Arminian’s theology is lacking: He states that God bestows His grace upon all equally. But this cannot be the case since all those who are called by God…come to God. Since not all people come to God…then not all people receive the same calling by God. Common Grace is not the call…Saving Grace is the call.

Saving Grace is that grace which is spoken of in Romans 9:11-13
“though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad--in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of his call-- she was told, "The older will serve the younger." As it is written, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

Election has nothing to do with what a person does or does not do, but has everything to do with the “Call of God.”
This brings the objection in Romans 9:14a, “What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part?” to which Paul replies, “By no means! For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.” (Romans 9:14b-18)

But a new objection is raised at this point. Romans 9:19, “ You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" to which Paul responds, “But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory-- even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? (Romans 9:20-24)

A clear example of the difference between Common Grace and Saving Grace can be found in 1 Corinthians 1:22-24.
“For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.”

Notice that the gospel is preached to all men (Jews and Gentiles). All of these men (Jews and Gentiles) receive Common Grace in that God provides them with such things as food, rain, sunshine, happiness, laughter, etc. This Common Grace in and of itself does not bring a person to Salvation because the Jews see the gospel as a stumbling block and the Gentiles see it as folly. But now a distinction is made. Paul says that to those who are called, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. Notice that those who are called see Christ differently than those who are not called. The calling is the Saving Grace from God. This Saving Grace is given to both Jews and Gentiles, but not to every Jew and Gentile.

Objections
1. Titus 2:11 says: “For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,”. Doesn’t this mean that God’s Saving Grace is extended to all men?

Yes, it is extended to all types of men. The context of Titus 2 is the teaching of sound doctrine to various types of people (i.e., Young men, old men, young women, etc.). This applies to Saving Grace in that it is no longer limited to the Jewish nation, but now to all types of people in other nations. Christ came and brought salvation to not only Jews but also Gentiles. Ephesians 2:13-16, “But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.”
Revelation 5:9 provides a beautiful picture what Christ accomplished on the cross. ““Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation,
Acts 10:34-35 also records this truth when Peter was speaking to Cornelius, “So Peter opened his mouth and said: "Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.”. God shows no partiality in that now there is no more distinction between nations.

2. 1 Tim. 2:4 says, “…Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.” Does this not mean that God is doing everything He can to make sure every person is saved?
For the context of ‘all men’ please refer to the first objection answer.
But I will proceed further into this because I am sure to some that answer is not sufficient for some.

The words ‘will have’ in the KJV are the translation of the Greek word Thelo. Thelo refers to a desire or pleasure. In this context, God desires that all men be saved.
But this begs an important question:
“If God desires that every single person be saved, but not every person is saved then is it because God cannot save them or that God will not save them?
If you say that God cannot save every person, then you are saying that God is impotent in salvation because He is dependent upon a person’s Free Will. The deciding factor in salvation is man in this case and God is a bystander who is pleading and begging for you to ‘make a decision.’ This view is refuted by Ephesians 2:8-9 because salvation cannot depend upon what man does because God clearly states that it is not dependent upon works, “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” and also Titus 3:4-5, But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit”

If you say that God will not save every person, then you are saying that God is omnipotent in salvation but He chooses not to violate a person’s Free Will. In this case God has the ability to save, but chooses not to force himself upon anyone. This viewpoint is popular and romantic to some, but not to the person in Hell who would say to God, ‘If you truly desired that every person would be saved and you had the power to save, then why did you choose not to save me? If you truly wanted me to be saved and had the power to do so, why am I here?”

The only conclusion then becomes that God does desire that all types of men be saved He sees to it that they are saved.

2007/1/24 16:44Profile

Re:

Grace is from God that is distributed to all without distinction. However, the term common Grace is never used in the Bible pertaining to the Grace of God. Therefore, the word common was inserted by teachers to facilitate people to another belief system/model, otherwise, how can it ever be explained as being “common”. So called “common” Grace is manifested in sunshine and rain, they say. Both of these are brought upon the good and the evil without distinction.

Note:
This is the MAJOR reason for not buyng a Bible with a commentary in its covers. Much too often, as seen here, a commentary as part of a Bible is viewed as gospel. People are spiritually lazy who buy such Bibles, not wanting to do their own research, being led of the Holy Spirit in their understanding. All that is produced is "headknowledge" ... from written out "headknowledge" from other in most cases.

Moving on:

What it is is an act of creation whereby man will/must be sufficiently sustained that the furthering of God’s Grace might be manifest to man. All of God’s creation is an act of His Grace. Therefore, it can never be a common thing that God does/dispenses when His plan-purpose for man is revealed by His Grace to all, so-called common or otherwise. Man is without excuse because of God’s Grace revealed.

Psalm 145:9, “The LORD is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.”

The sunshine and the rain is what God created for all that He has made and no one can say that they have not been the recipient of God’s Grace in some fashion.

It can not be denied that God’s Grace and His Mercy are one in the same, in fact the word is interchangeable with any of His Attributes but that takes insight when reading verses that do not use the word outright, therefore I can say without violating scripture, His Grace is over all He has made. The below scriptures testify to this when trying to understand how His can be explained as His “unmerited favor”, though His Plan-Purpose is never without merit. Proper distinctions are a must if a rightly divided word is to be achieved.

Psalm 145:15-16, “The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food in due season. You open your hand; you satisfy the desire of every living thing.”

Psalm 136:25, “he who gives food to all flesh, for his steadfast love endures forever.”

We can see that God’s Grace and His Love are one in the same as well.

John 3:16 (KJV)
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jesus was full of Grace and Truth, Truth also being an attribute of God. Therefore, it can be seen that God gave man His Grace in Flesh, man being such the hardhead, he needed Grace with skin on it…. But that wasn’t the only reason Christ came to earth.

Acts 14:16-17, “In past generations he allowed all the nations to walk in their own ways. Yet he did not leave himself without witness, for he did good by giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness.”

“God brought rains and fruitful seasons to all nations, not only the Jewish Nation. God satisfied the worlds hearts with plenty of food and gladness. These verses also tell us that common grace bears witness to the existence of God.”

If the witness was Himself and it was given to all nations then His Grace, the witness of Himself, is still not common but given in commonality to all men to spiritually as well materially, profit withal. The difficulty here is that credit for the profit was to be given to God. [see the account of Cain and Abel] In this can be seen the reason for the heathen religious rituals/sacrifices/ceremonies to their various god’s, for the blessings they sought to preserve. This they did from a “righteous” ignorance/innocence. They did not know about Jesus, Grace in the Flesh. Many today are still without that knowledge that would facilitate, to bring them into son-ship. Calvin never saw that as the Gospel and the world has suffered because of it.

Common Grace is a term not found in scripture and thus must be viewed as man’s reasoning, his attempt to sort out for himself the message of the Bible without the help of the Holy Spirit. God’s Grace is indeed made available to all that all might believe in God and turn to Him for the furthering of His Grace to them, unto son-ship. If we bring that perspective into the NT to be enlarged upon, it can be seen to mean, “in all for son-ship” and “whosoever will… let him come, drink”, fits that perspective.

Psalm 34:8 (NASB-U) “How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! O taste and see that the Lord is good;” [emphasis mine]

The word “common” inserted brings a ready contradiction to a 5 pointer who says God picks and chooses those to receive His Mercy and Goodness. Why would God give His Grace [Mercy and Goodness] to all but not for coming to Him for His salvation?? That does not make sense to this thinker. God’s Grace given to Israel was never for their regeneration, justification, sanctification and glorification unless that happened. We know from the record it did not nor could it be for those reasons. It was impossible. However, they were repeatedly the recipients of God’s Grace to profit withal by the very presence of Himself yet they always rebelled as a nation and turned their back on Him. How come if God’s Grace is irresistible, the very presence of God, mind you? How come if God picked/chose them to be that which He prevented others from being? What did they do with God’s Mercy and Goodness, His saving Grace that was obviously more than “common”?

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that [gifts] to all men liberally, and upbraideth not [without shaming you]; and it shall be given him. James 1:5 (KJV) [emphasis mine]

2007/1/25 7:36

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy