SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anyone heard of Jason Upton

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I wonder why Wesley, etc. would be any more inspired than godly men and women of today? Is there any greater anointing than the anointing no matter who operates under it?

This is a simple truth that the more you give yourself to God in prayer, the more you are yielded, the more you endeavor to live a holy life and devour the scriptures with a pure heart and clean hands - the more growth and glorious knowledge God imparts to a believer. If this is doubted, read an Edward Payson manuscripted sermon, and then compare it with a typical message preached today in a charismatic church. Compare Puritanic worship with the stuff we see on TBN...and compare contemporary woship songs with the prose of Charles Wesley. Our contemporary worshippers may love God, and have a certain level of knowledge of His holiness - but there is so much more missing, so much poverty. There is a depth found in the hymns that is conspicuously absent from what well-meaning believers are churning out today. I believe that any man or woman who choses to grow in God and in holiness will se this immediately, and decry it. I'm not saying men today are not anointed - they are - but the depth and vision of God's eternal majesty is altogether different. Today's worship is more earthly than 100 years ago, more "I" centered. Men and women casually call God "you" in Christian radio songs today, as if Jesus Christ was a type of ubiquitous buddy, and not the aweful and ageless I AM who sits on a fiery throne outside of time and space.

Brother Paul

2007/1/15 18:37Profile
ANewInHim

Re:

Quote:
There is a depth found in the hyms that is conspicuously absent from what well-meaning believers are churning out today. I believe that any man or woman who choses to grow in God and in HOLINESS will see this immediately, and decryit. I'm not saying men today are not anoited - they are but the depths and vision of God's eternal majeesty is altoghether different. Today's worship is more earthly than years ago, more "I" centered. Men and Women casually call God "you" in Christian radio songs thoday, as if Jesus Christ was a "type" of ubiquitous buddy, and not the aweful and ageless I Am who sits on a fiery throne outside of time and space.

On the contrary it is because he is; The Great I Am -- the I Am that I Am.

We must know that the same Jesus the same God that created the universe the heavens and the earth is the one that is still on the throne, is the same God that lives in you and in me -- in me and in they -- in they and in them -- it is because he is outside of time and space that we can see, he is here, and yes he is working there I see him here and I see him there he is everywhere, omnipotent and omnipresent.

2007/1/15 19:10Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I see him here and I see him there he is everywhere, omnipotent and omnipresent.

I don't see Him everywhere - I see His creation everywhere. What you've just described sounds curiously pantheistic. I see dogs and cats but God is not in dogs and cats, nor is he in the clouds and dewdrops. Perhaps you can more lucidly explain what you mean.

Thanks! God bless!

Brother Paul

2007/1/15 19:16Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

I don't see Him everywhere - I see His creation everywhere. What you've just described sounds curiously pantheistic. I see dogs and cats but God is not in dogs and cats, nor is he in the clouds and dewdrops. Perhaps you can more lucidly explain what you mean.

Thanks! God bless!

Brother Paul

Ok, so I just jumped in on this conversation, but I see God in dogs and cats and clouds and dewdrops... as far as Him being the creator of them. God is the divine maker of such beautiful things. No one else created these things, so why can't God be found in the beauty of His created? Know what I mean?

2007/1/15 20:04Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Ok, so I just jumped in on this conversation, but I see God in dogs and cats and clouds and dewdrops... as far as Him being the creator of them. God is the divine maker of such beautiful things. No one else created these things, so why can't God be found in the beauty of His created? Know what I mean?

Hi Ben,

Sure, I know what you mean. All I am saying is that though all things are created by God, God is not all things. God is an invisible Spirit. No man can see God and live. When you look at the Mona Lisa, do you say "I see Leonardo Da Vinci!" It is sloppy theology, in my humble opinion, to say we see God in everything, and this sloppiness has really become the bane, so to speak, of our modern worship. We have all together lost touch with the eterntal majesty of God that men like Wesley and Watts and Spurgeon knew; we now write and sing about such weak things as seeing God in rainbows and tulips and love, love, grace and love. Where are the popular songs of the blazing holiness of God, the Ancient of Days with eyes as flames of fire? Where are the modern songs that speak of the the terrible majesty of the resurrected King Jesus and a sin-loathing God of fearsome judgments and everlasting hell? I guarantee you won't hear such things on the radio, on TV or in the Christian bookstores where the devil's worldly music is sold under the guise of "Contemporary Christian". The reason I can be so strong with my words is because I believe our generation is being pedaled a distorted image of Christ, and any music or message from God that does not provoke one to a life of a greater knowledge of these things and a deeper surrender to the perfection of holiness and an all-encompassing reverential fear of sinning against an Almighty God is of the enemy.

Brother Paul

2007/1/15 20:24Profile
Branded4him

Ohio

Re:

how did it get to this from Upton everything you just described is totally off gaurd of what this post was originally posted of. these lyrics dont seem cheap and worldly to me. they seem to be agreeing with everything you just said brother Paul. I really value what your saying i totally agree. BUt I just think were toally off topic of what this post was posted Jason Upton is not some musician trying to get peoples attention by being like the world or minimizing the gospel

You've got your best man on the front side
You always show your best side
And evil's always on the other side
You say this is your strategy
But son I hope you take it from me
You look just like your enemy
You're full of pride

We better trash our idols if we want to be
In the army of the Lord
And the greatest idol is you and me,
We better get on the threshing floor
When will we learn that God's strategy
Is giving glory to the Lord?
We better trash our idols if we want to be
In the army of the Lord

Star how beautiful you shine
You shine more beautiful than mine
You shine from sea to shining sea
World-wide is your strategy
But shinning star I hope you see
If the whole wide world is staring straight at you
They can't see me...

2007/1/15 20:29Profile
Santana

Re:

What do those lyrics mean to you?

2007/1/15 20:39Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Quote:
to say we see God in everything, and this sloppiness has really become the bane, so to speak, of our modern worship. We have all together lost touch with the eterntal majesty of God that men like Wesley and Watts and Spurgeon knew; we now write and sing about such weak things as seeing God in rainbows and tulips and love, love, grace and love. Where are the popular songs of the blazing holiness of God, the Ancient of Days with eyes as flames of fire? Where are the modern songs that speak of the the terrible majesty of the resurrected King Jesus and a sin-loathing God of fearsome judgments and everlasting hell? I guarantee you won't hear such things on the radio, on TV or in the Christian bookstores where the devil's worldly music is sold under the guise of "Contemporary Christian". The reason I can be so strong with my words is because I believe our generation is being pedaled a distorted image of Christ, and any music or message from God that does not provoke one to a life of a greater knowledge of these things and a deeper surrender to the perfection of holiness and an all-encompassing reverential fear of sinning against an Almighty God is of the enemy.

AMEN(s)!! :) Brother Paul,allow me to remind ourselves of perhaps God's Word in regard to music..

[color=0000CC]Psalm 92:3
Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp [b]with a solemn sound.[/b][/color]

be the music contemporary or old..

2007/1/15 22:05Profile
Here4Him

England

Re:

Interesting Thread. I have just been introduced to Jason Upton's music and i have been really blessed by it. I was given the 'Faith'album for Christmas and i love the song, 'I will wait for you Jesus, your the Sun in my horizon', so beautiful.

I agree with some of what has been said. The old hymns are so precious. May we never lose them, and the richness of their words, but i also believe in the singing of simple love songs to the Lord. I think the one leads to the other, when i come to understand the Lord Jesus Christ as who He really is and what He has done for me, then i do just want to sing, 'I love you' 10 times!

The sad thing is a lot of modern churches only ever sing the 'I love you songs' and never get inspired by theological content in either the songs or the preaching!

Yes the hymns are so rich, but we shouldn't write of choruses. I have heard respected preachers, some of who have sermons on this sight say that it is not right to repeatedly sing the same line as they do in a Chorus. Well maybe they need to tell that to the Seraphim in heaven who never stop day or night saying "holy, holy, holy Lord God Almight, the whole earth is full of His glory" Isaih 6:3.

P.S. I love Terry Macalmon too. His music takes you to heaven, it really does. I agree though it is not the best music to have as background music because you never get anything done! And as for playing it whilst you are driving that is just dangerous because i have nearly crashed so whilst worshipping the Lord to His music!

2007/1/16 7:11Profile
Mattie

Re:

While the hymns of years ago are awesome, I'm praying that God raises up men and women of God to write hymns today. Did the Holy Spirit only inspire people in the 1800s? I beg to differ. There are many hymns waiting to be written.

2007/1/16 9:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy