SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Beth-lehem

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
What spoke to me about this passage was 'is the Word of God having free course in my life? Am I obeying what I read? Or just skipping the passages I don't care for? Is God's Word having it's way in my heart and life?'

I have been meditating on this very same thought concerning obedience to God's Word. The account of Saul's failure concerning the Amalekites has brought this into focus for me. In particular...
And Saul said unto Samuel, Yea, I have obeyed the voice of the LORD, and have gone the way which the LORD sent me, and have brought Agag the king of Amalek, and have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. But the people took of the spoil, sheep and oxen, the chief of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God in Gilgal. And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.
(1Sa 15:20-23)

These are sobering words. Saul was convinced that he had obeyed the commandment of God but, partial obedience is disobedience. God have mercy on me and grant me a heart of obedience.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/1/5 8:36Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi brother Mike. I hope it will be all right to continue the digression just briefly.

Quote:
Chris may have been alluding in a general sense to some things that have been up in recent days by way of [i]doctrine[/i].

Brother, I think more than anything, in my mind, it comes to the point of [i]emphasis[/i], approach, motive. It appears like so much of our discussion of the word of God amongst ourselves is born out of disputes or questions over theology and doctrine rather than our theology and doctrine being enhanced, refined, by our discussions of the word of God.

Perhaps I could give an example.

Earlier, we qouted Jeremiah 10:23. I see theology in that verse, but supporting that theology was not my intent for sharing it. Know what I mean?

2007/1/5 17:15Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Dear brother Ron,

Quote:
These are sobering words. Saul was convinced that he had obeyed the commandment of God but, partial obedience is disobedience. God have mercy on me and grant me a heart of obedience.

When I read this a second time just now I thought of a passage of scripture which mentioned following God [i]fully[/i]. I looked for it and found it was in refrence to Caleb, where it was said of him...

[i]...he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully[/i] Numbers 14:23-24

May it be as you prayed for us both.

2007/1/5 17:25Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

If God could create a heart of obedience in man, He would not have needed Jesus, Grace, Faith. We would not need the Holy Spirit in us forever and would not need to be born again. All He would have to do is give a law and everybody would be obedient to it.

Well be all know that we cannot keep the Law, so how are we to escape our condemnation under the Law. How much law would have to be written to take the place of Grace? The sermon on the mount was an addition to the Law already given. It increased the law to perfection and would have to be increased to attain the Holiness of God. Flesh in sin cannot attain justification or righteousness that will please God and bring His creation, man, as children that He wants in His house. That is son's of God.

Romans 7:24-25 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Who's mind do we have? Who's mind are we to renew our's to and by Who? Who's life are we living by His Faith? Who is birthed in us, and makes us a new creation? Who is the Word of God?

John 5:46-47 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Jesus gave Moses the Word, The word of God is of Christ and about Christ.

1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

The Word of God is Christ and all that God has sent Him to say. John 1:13-14 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Mind; 1Cr 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Rom 15:6 That ye may with one mind [and] one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Renewing the mind; Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Who renews our mind, by what? John 14:19-20 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

John 14:25-26 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Justification;
And on and on and on it goes. Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Life and Faith;
Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption;
1 Corinthians 1:30-31 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Even our Glory; and whose work in us;

Colossians 1:27-29 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to His working, which worketh in me mightily.

What are we to do? Colossians 3:1-4 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

This is our doctrine, it is Christ in all that we do. Nothing else matters, If Christ is all and in all, how can we argue over what we are to do when it comes to our life. We are in Christ, and Christ is in us. This is our life and nature and by all we do the Holy Spirit is here to declare this truth, That, "Jesus Christ is the Son of God and this is the Rock I will build My Church upon. The Body of Christ, that is us brother and sisters. In Christ we can do all things, without Christ we can do nothing.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/1/6 3:30Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: musing out loud

I wonder if the language of devotion and the utterances of our deepest heart cries are often...

[b]...more expressive than exacting[/b]

[b]...more passionate than precise[/b]

Take for instance the [b][i]63rd Psalm[/b][/i] as it is translated in Eugene H. Peterson's, [b]The Message[/b]

God - you're my God!
I can't get enough of you!
I've worked up such hunger and thirst for God,
traveling across dry and weary deserts.

So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open,
drinking in your strength and glory.
In your generous love I am really living at last!
My lips brim praises like fountains.
I bless you every time I take a breath;
My arms wave like banners of praise to you.

I eat my fill of prime rib and gravy;
I smack my lips. It's time to shout praises!
If I'm sleepless at midnight,
I spend the hours in grateful reflection.
Becuase you've always stood up for me,
I'm free to run and play.
I hold on to you for dear life,
and you hold me steady as a post.

Those who are out to get me are marked for doom,
marked for death, bound for hell.
They'll die violent deaths;
jackals will tear them limb from limb.
But the king is glad in God;
his true friends spread the joy,
While small-minded gossips
are gagged for good.

2007/1/6 6:44Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Art - iculation

"[i]I wonder if the language of devotion and the utterances of our deepest heart cries are often...

...[b]more expressive than exacting

...more passionate than precise[/b][/i]"

Tremendous statement brother, just flat out wonderful.

Full well recognize that even these are subject to even greater clarity. Perhaps this would be as much towards Ron's earlier mention of teaching and testimony being of the same weave, inseparable. How remarkable that a better expression and more precise passion are still possible.

One of Ron's old signatures had the statement;

"[i]Theology is meant to be sung[/i]"

Think there is just a world of meaning contained in that.

Perhaps the paradoxical affinity for some of the 'mystics' is applicable to this in that their [i]expression[/i] often grips at those deepest levels while at the same time the guardedness of a well heeded warning, the Berean-like spiritual 'mandate' if you will, always drawing back to that [i]which is written[/i].

Have been botching expressions for over 3 years around here and still marvel at just how much there is to grapple with and put forth. One of the great joy's of doing this here is to have others come along and give expression better than we ourselves can, feeding off and adding, clarifying and correcting ... Coming from that manner of motivation is markedly different than wielding a merciless law book of hardened doctrine and theological construct even if correct and accurate and full of truth. It seems quite evident enough by way of example;

[i]And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.[/i] 1Co 13:2

Or

[i]But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.[/i] Mat 12:7

Would give my soul in exchange for expression of that what I keep seeing over and over again, a dividing mindset of 'either\or' of those things [u]not[/u] divisible. The bane of Christianity in our day seems to me to be that we very often just refuse to [i]think[/i] and think hard and think well. And on top of all that is a often a dis-allowance of being adjusted. Correction is a marvelous thing! It's desirable and welcoming, the music of theology is pleasant, the [i]letter kills[/i]...

What is the witness of the Spirit but that of an agreement already settled?

Thanks brother, hope I didn't expense that too much by this little dirge of inward upheaval.

2007/1/6 8:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Art - iculation

Here is perhaps a better expression from something lingering on the desktop for some days now ...

[i] "The heathen do not judge of the Christian's doctrines from the doctrine, but from his actions and life" [CHRYSOSTOM]. Men will write, fight, and even die for their religion; but how few live for it! Translate, "That they may adorn the doctrine of our Saviour God," that is, God the Father, the originating author of salvation (compare Note, see on 1Ti 1:1). God deigns to have His Gospel-doctrine adorned even by slaves, who are regarded by the world as no better than beasts of burden. "Though the service be rendered to an earthly master, the honor redounds to God, as the servant's goodwill flows from the fear of God" [THEOPHYLACT]. Even slaves, low as is their status, should not think the influence of their example a matter of no consequence to religion: how much more those in a high position. His love in being "our Saviour" is the strongest ground for our adorning His doctrine by our lives. This is the force of "For" in Tit 2:11.[/i]

Commentary by A. R. FAUSSET

Titus 2:1-15 (King James Version)

(Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,)

2007/1/6 8:54Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Art - iculation

Brother Mike

Quote:
Full well recognize that even these are subject to even greater clarity... How remarkable that a better expression and more precise passion are still possible.

Thanks to God for this reminder here, convicting and challenging. Immediately brought to mind the little I know and have heard about the old hymns, how that they are at once beautifully expressive and theologically true. All seeming to come to the point of this reminder here...

Quote:
while at the same time the guardedness of a well heeded warning, the Berean-like spiritual 'mandate' if you will, always drawing back to that which is written.

So perhaps part of our difficulty is this: we do not want to give place to, or make provision for, falsehood; yet we do not want to be so tight in our sifting of the words and thoughts of others, or in our own, that we fail to grasp the significance or intention of what has been said, or that our own words become dead and dead, even death? to others.

On that latter point...

Quote:
Coming from that manner of motivation is markedly different than wielding a merciless law book of hardened doctrine and theological construct even if correct and accurate and full of truth.

And this seems to speak to this also

[b][color=000000]There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.[/color][/b]

2007/1/6 9:28Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: these that have turned the world upside down

Continuing on in Brother Mike's second post I saw something which drew back to a word sister Roniya shared at first, which we have been discussing.

First, brother Mike shared from the commentary by A. R. FAUSSET

Quote:
Men will write, fight, and even die for their religion; but how few live for it! Translate, "That they may adorn the doctrine of our Saviour God," that is, God the Father, the originating author of salvation (compare Note, see on 1Ti 1:1). God deigns to have His Gospel-doctrine adorned even by slaves, who are regarded by the world as no better than beasts of burden.

It is this ...[i]That they may [b]adorn[/b] the [u]doctrine[/u] of our Saviour God[/i] which particularly stands out to me. It seems to coincide so much in the Apostles
petition for prayer that the word of God may be [i][b]glorified[/i][/b].

But how was it, is it, glorified? Is it not that, having heard it, it changed those who had recieved its gift?

[b][color=000000] Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?[/color][/b]

[b][color=000000] And the light of Israel shall be for a fire, and his Holy One for a flame: and it shall burn and devour his thorns and his briers in one day;[/color][/b]

Was not the word of God going throughout the whole world, burning up the forests of idolatry, setting ablaze the hearts and minds of men once cold with cruelty and hatred but now transformed with a zeal and passion and love for God and man?

2007/1/6 10:02Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Polishing

Quote:
But how was it, is it, [u]glorified[/u]?

A very large and pertinent question brother.

Is it?

The often manhandling that is done in defense of the Lord, the attempts of our own meddling and weilding, the wonder if the interest is towards education spiritualy or a peculiar one-up-manship.

Would rather not drag down towards these things though, moving past that;

Quote:
So perhaps part of our difficulty is this: we do not want to give place to, or make provision for, falsehood; yet we do not want to be so tight in our sifting of the words and thoughts of others, or in our own, [b]that we fail to grasp the significance or intention of what has been said[/b], or that our own words become dead and dead, even death? to others.

Yes, 'jumping to conclussions'. Well said.

2007/1/6 11:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy