SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does God Hate Divorce?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
So what do you think about divorce? Do you get as angry about that as you do about a bad word?

I hate divorce. My parents had a messy divorce when I was 6 years-old. My younger brother, at 34, still has issues because of it. As a minister, I do all I can to counsel towards resolutions, to a salvaging of the relationship where divorce is avoided at all costs. Jesus can heal, and he is mighty to save.

Friend, I am not angry because I read a cuss word. I am frankly shocked that someone would post a word like that on a forum in SI - and then attempt to justify why he was right in doing it. Understand, I'm not condemning you or judging, just expressing my distaste in seeing God-grieving language like that in these forums. I hope you can understand my point.

Brother Paul

2006/11/29 23:14Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re: Angry?

Quote:

Peacemaker wrote:
So what do you think about divorce? Do you get as angry about that as you do about a bad word?

Angry is not the correct word, I swear a lot and I know I shouldn't it makes me angry with myself that I am so full of filth that it overflows when I fly off the handle, however I have learned a lot of self restraint and my 11 year old daughter has never heard me swear. And I won't ever write a profanity, even to quote someone, as there is no need. As mature adults we know how sinful the world is (and us too) we do not need to be reminded, even to make some vague point.

Divorce is something that happens, most of the time, not by a lack of self control, but because one or both partners cannot take 'it' anymore. 'It' being any number of things. I believe it stems from a lack of faith in God that He can remedy the situatuion, but again I don't want to get dragged into putting a guilt trip on those who got divorced for 'good' reasons.

I don't believe God is angry at those who contemplate or go through divorce, I believe He is more disapointed.

Can we now get back on the track of Don Francisco's article?

2006/11/29 23:17Profile
Peacemaker

Bakersfield, California

Re:

Here Here - I would gladly place that degree of abhorrence against sin as opposed to blithely accepting the perspective that it is one's own personal private decision to "divorce" because it is just "my" decision. No it's not - we are all part of the body if we are In Christ - what one does effects our corporate witness - as those that witness, support, participate in watching people vow one to another in the presence of God and witnesses, to maintain his Holy estate of matrimony in the mystical oneness and union of a man and a woman that is perhaps only surpassed by the mystery of the trinity, and Christ in me -how dare we not take a stand to point the finger if and when there is a chance that it will do good. God is glorified in marriage in a way that perhaps done in no other way. If we won't love our spouse - how can we love God?

2006/11/29 23:23Profile
Peacemaker

Bakersfield, California

Re:

Paul, Clearly I have not effectively administered grace to you as the hearer, nor have I apparently been able to do good by enlightening you in any way. I will therefore relent and repent of this language in this context as "corrupt communictation". I do understand how this impacts Christians - I have done it before and had the same effect. Last time it was to be funny. This time I wanted to draw attention to the fact that I hate divorce - I think God does too - I hate divorce almost more than anything because what it is doing to the church and our country, not to mention our families and the children. It is a travesty almost bordering on the magnitude of abortion. How can we debate the issue of whether God hates it - of course he does - it wasn't his plan!! Does he tolerate it - obviously - should we? - sometimes - have we done enough to stop it, fight it, condemn it, wade in and get our hands dirty every time it happens!!! This is where the battle line is drawn in America - Pagan NeoJungian archetypal masculinity and femininity on one side with the divine feminine and mystical sexual union and - male and female married and holy in Christ on the other - which is it going to be??

Again I ask for your forgivenss in obscuring this issue for you by my choice of words and images.

2006/11/29 23:38Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

God spoke of, wrighting a "bill of divorcement" to the nation of Israel not for what they done before marriage but for whoring after other God's while espoused to him, as it were...but not without first giving them the chance to repent. that should be the heart of the believer as well. forgiveness and repentence. but in reality...it takes two to stay together but our society makes it possible for only one to innitiate and concieve a legal divorce.
to say, "I will never be divorced!" is a noble statement and I pray that you won't...but if a man's wife backslides, stops going to church runs the bars and sleeps with every guy she meets for 5 months and then moves in with a man, gets pregnant....goes to a lawyer and files for divorce...that's reality. and God made provision for us, through grace, to divorce and re-marry not because of our sin but because...as paul said the unbelieving departed.
God bless

2006/11/29 23:50Profile
Peacemaker

Bakersfield, California

Re:

I agree - it happened to me - I still think God hates it.

2006/11/29 23:55Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

amen..and i hate it too. but thank God for grace. and for the truth of his word that leads and guides us through all the trials of life
God bless! :-)

2006/11/29 23:59Profile
Peacemaker

Bakersfield, California

Re:

I came to Christ in the middle of a divorce so it is the best thing and the worst thing that ever happened to me.

God works in mysterious ways.

2006/11/30 0:02Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

Quote:

searchin wrote:
to say, "I will never be divorced!" is a noble statement and I pray that you won't...but if a man's wife backslides, stops going to church runs the bars and sleeps with every guy she meets for 5 months and then moves in with a man, gets pregnant....goes to a lawyer and files for divorce...that's reality. and God made provision for us, through grace, to divorce and re-marry not because of our sin but because...as paul said the unbelieving departed.
God bless

But my stand is that if my wife divorces me, why would I want to remarry? As a Christian, I should continue to love her and welcome her back if an when she repents, that's how God is with us. When we sin He doesn't say 'well, I give up with them, let me find someone else who I hope will not sin'. As with the parable of the guy who owed a debt and was forgiven, if my wife goes off and divorces me, why should I not wait for her, pray for her and accept her back when she repents and returns to me? How much Christian love does she see in me if when she goes off, as you said, then I just find another wife and thereby putting a wall up so my first wife cannot come back to me.

I love my wife, if she sleeps with the whole Wigan rugby team, as a Christian I must forgive her or else I am in a position where God won't forgive me. If I remarry then I make the situation worse by causing this new 'innocent' woman to end up in a position where, if my first wife want's to come back, she must then work out what is the Christian thing to do, to divorce me and let me go back to my original spouse, or to stay married to me leaving the first wife thinking 'he promised to love me until I died, he's broken his marriage vows' even though she broke them first.

It's a matter of self, am I more concerned with myself and what I want out of life, or that no matter what, I will love and accept my wife thereby showing the love of God towards us.

2006/11/30 0:05Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

you're words are right and of a very noble spirit i believe.
but what if while you are waiting on her she re-marries then in order to come back to you it would require her to divorce?
i know this may sound silly and trite but it's still reality.
i do agree with you though...forgiveness and unselfishness is the "God way." after all it was selfishness that brought the divorce into the relationship in the first place. But even divorced and re-married she can repent and he can forgive and still be married to other people.
God Bless

2006/11/30 0:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy