SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does God Hate Divorce?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Seems to me that they are talking divorce, divorce, divorce. Why would the Pharisee's be talking about something and Jesus about another matter almost entirely. I would think that Jesus would confront putting away if that really wasn't divorce.

Bingo! Great observation. Now that is seeing it in context.

Jordan, I dont think the Spirit is going to reveal to me that what you're saying is truth because I dont believe it is. God holds us accountable for sin regardless of where we are in maturity. If I took what you're saying out to it's logical conclusion, then we'd have to say that the unrepentant sinner will go straight into heaven because he had no Spiritual maturity (since he was never saved), and God will not hold him accountable.

I dont know where you found this theology of your's, but I think now would be a good time to show us in scripture where you're coming from. There is a saying in law enforcement: Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Granted, we do go thru a maturation as we walk with Christ. I've been a Christian for a little more than a decade, and I'll make mistakes that someone who has been walking with Him for 40 years probably wont make. But no where in scripture do I see that God will hold me less accountable. Sin is sin. Instead of a death sentence for our sins, we get chastised. Spanked, if you will.

But I'm no less accountable.

By the way, claiming that I've taken something out of context as a way of debating an issue is not a good way to debate. You offer no example of what I've taken out of context, and no scripture to back your thoughts.

Jordan... I'm [b]NOT[/b] upset, or chewing you out. I want to better understand your position, and see if maybe I'm not understanding something. Dont bail on me, bro...

Krispy

2006/11/28 16:31

HOW MANY TIMES?!?

How many times are we going to have this argument on this forum about divorce and remarriage?

and I say "argument", coz its a not a discussion, you said you "totally disagree" with what this man wrote, and then you want "comments". You don't want want comments, you want argument, face it, be real.

So i ask again, HOW MANY TIMES ARE WE GONNA HAVE YET ANOTHER TEDIOUS BORING NEO-PHARIASICAL THREAD ON THIS FORUM ABOUT DIVORCE/REMARRIAGE?

2006/11/28 20:57

Jordamo

Krispy wrote to you:

Quote:
Dont bail on me, bro...

bail....have no part in this tedious unedifying rehash of an argument that has been held over and over and over and over again on this forum.

Its is of NO PROFIT.

and Krispy, this is a young man in the Lord, he's not one of the football players you coach where you teach him to "hit them right underneath their pads". Don't do this, don't bait him. If you do, you will be in sin.

2006/11/28 21:04
jordanamo

Re: Jordamo

I don't know what I'm talking about. I shouldn't have entered into this discussion acting like I understood this, lol.

Jordan

2006/11/28 22:22Profile

Re: Jordamo

Quote:
and Krispy, this is a young man in the Lord, he's not one of the football players you coach where you teach him to "hit them right underneath their pads". Don't do this, don't bait him. If you do, you will be in sin.

You minunderstood or misinterpretted my intent... I'm not trying to beat Jordan down. I'm attempting to help him think through what he is saying. If you re-read what I posted in light of that, perhaps you will see it.

Everyone is free to challenge me on anything, thats how I learn. Hopefully Jordan isnt afraid to be challenged either.

As for this topic... no, we will discuss it if anyone wants to. :-) Just cuz you're tired of it doesnt necessarily mean others are. I cant think of a single topic that hasnt been beaten to death on here. If someone doesnt want to participate, then dont participate. There are plenty of topics on here that either dont interest me, or I'm tired of... and I choose not to participate.

Love ya Neil...!

Krispy

2006/11/29 7:44

Re: Does God hate divorce?

Hi Krispy,

In your words below, you clearly state that you believe Don's Bible study and article were influenced by his experience. That's what you said, right?

'Point of interest: Don Francisco has been thru a divorce. (Thats not a judgement against him! It's merely a fact that you should know when reading this [b]because [u]I think[/u] it sheds light on his own perspective[/b].)'

Did it cross your mind that his Bible study may have preceded his divorce?

Then you say

Quote:
Hold on... before we get off the ground, let me state emphatically that this is NOT about Don Francisco! This is about what was written in this article,

.... so I hope you see why I posted what I did. It sounded very much as if you were disqualifying his Bible study, because he is divorced, and had he not been divorced, but posted the same article, you might have looked at the article more objectively in the light of scripture. True?

Further, for avoidance of doubt, I posted what I did to [i]challenge[/i] your inference that anything Don wrote about divorce must [i][b]necessarily[/i][/b] have been modified by your inference that any justification of divorce on his part, somehow contradicts the commonly held assertion that 'God hates divorce'.

So, I just did a quick word search for a text which supports 'God hates divorce' and I couldn't find one either under 'divorce' or 'put away'.

This surprised me so I'd be grateful if you could post the scripture you have in mind?

I hope you will also post the scriptures covering where God divorces Israel, and where He breaks His covenant with them. Thanks. :-)

2006/11/29 10:33

Re: Does God hate divorce

jordan said

Quote:
I could be wrong of course but that's just what I think God means when he says he hates divorce. He doesn't hate all divorces,

Krispy,

I think Jordan is tuning into the fact that marriage is a matter of the flesh, and pointing out that spiritual immaturity may contribute to a lack of what the Bible calls 'understanding', in general.

It is clear from scripture that divorce itself is not a sin and that God forgives sin, therefore, I'm not sure how you or anyone can make - as Don Francisco would put it - 'a second unforgivable sin' - of divorce.

God still loves and uses divorced people. We are in danger of making a god out of marriage - or divorce - if we do not [i]see[/i] that God is above holding a divorce against a person.

That doesn't mean we should not aspire to a world where all marriage is exactly as God desires, but, we have to be realistic and take [i][b]the rest[/i][/b] of His (written) word into our spiritual intelligence as well, or the world will simply be fuller of broken people than it is already.

The fact is, God has made a way of escape from sin and some people need to admit they are living in sin, not 'marriage' and they need to get out [u]in order to save their souls[/u].

2006/11/29 10:43

Re:

Actually, this article was part of a series of articles on divorce that he wrote, all about the same time. In one of the other installments he mentioned he had been thru a divorce, so these were written after that had happened.

Now I stated that he had been divorced because I hear these arguments more from people who have been thru it than those who have not. I'm not trying to suggest that people who have been thru divorce are trying to justify it by twisting scripture, but I do think knowing that the author had had this awful experience helps us to understand his perspective. I'm actually trying to be fair to Don... not knock him.

I mentioned it in the interest of full disclosure. I pondered the idea of not revealing who had written, but I knew someone would ask so I decided to disclose it.

Even tho I disagree with his position, he is a brother in Christ, and God has used him mightily. In one of the articles he argues that divorce does not disqualify one from leadership in the church. I believe he is wrong, and in fact Don's own ministry prooves that God DOES use divorced people to minister... but not from a leadership position such as elder/pastor.

Be careful saying that God broke His covenant with Israel. He didnt break it... Israel did. Once one party breaks a contract, the other is no longer bound by it.

My God has never broken a covenant.

Krispy

2006/11/29 10:50
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re: HOW MANY TIMES?!?

Quote:
So i ask again, HOW MANY TIMES ARE WE GONNA HAVE YET ANOTHER TEDIOUS BORING NEO-PHARIASICAL THREAD ON THIS FORUM ABOUT DIVORCE/REMARRIAGE?

Is it not sensible to admonish, teach, reprove and rebuke our brethren? 2 Tim. 4:2 "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." It is commanded time and time again that we should follow the doctrines handed down by those who followed Christ at the first. Christians have become so thin skined that the mere mention of differing in understanding is seen as division and argument. God bless the man who will love his brother enough to exort him to truth and to walk in it.

The question that I would ask is how long will the church tolerate sin and teach it as correct doctrine?

The main question that I have about divorce and remarrige is: what about the remarried. Since Jesus and his earliest followers taught it was indeed sin, what happens to the remarried. Seems to me if adulterers will not inherit the kingdom the only thing left is to repent. This in my book means dissolve the adulterous relationship. Perhaps this seems too radical. Perhaps this seems to unloving or unforgiving. What will we give in exchange for our soul?

Thoughts?

2006/11/29 10:58Profile

Re: Does God hate divorce

NLONG wrote

Quote:
Jesus and his earliest followers taught it was indeed sin

He and they did not.

Sorry if this post seems a bit inconclusive. I agree with Krispy that one need not post if one is not interested any more in a topic, but this subject [i]has[/i] been extensively covered on SermonIndex already. Please use the search facility to see what has already been written, bearing in mind that God's word is often (if not always) counterintuitive to the carnal mind and the traditions and doctrines of men.

Many of us have spent much more than hours - literally years - coming to an understanding of God's heart on these matters, and we conclude that He is merciful, gracious and forgiving. His kindness extends to remarriage for some, often against the background of the parties being more than willing to remain single.....

2006/11/29 11:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy