SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : REVIVAL AT ANY COST! by brother Greg

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 REVIVAL AT ANY COST! by brother Greg

<a href="https://www.sermonindex.net/images/revivalatanycost.pdf">[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/raac.gif[/img]</a>

Download this article as a pdf document and freely distribute <a href="https://www.sermonindex.net/images/revivalatanycost.pdf">here</a>.

[b]Revival At Any Cost![/b]
[i]by brother Greg[/i]

A fervent exhortation for a revival of religion in our day

John Wesley said: “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.” Sadly we have tolerated a hell-less, eternity-less, sin-less gospel and this next generation is aimed at accepting this as the genuine apostolic original. The true Christian witness seems to be almost overshadowed by false doctrines, false cults, and false prophets. It is time for a holy desperation for revival to arise in God’s people! - Greg Gordon?

HOLY DESPERATION

The prophet Isaiah declared the woeful state of Israel over three thousand years ago: ”Except the Lord of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant, we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah.” How much different are we? Churches are failing, leaders are fumbling, and truth is fallen in the streets. The prophet Isaiah continues with this divine reprimand: “they declare their sin as Sodom, they hid it not.” And what shall the end of a people be that “hid not their sins”? I have seen a strange thing under the sun: professors preaching “continue in sin” from the pulpit. The Apostle Paul in contrast preached “God forbid” which is one of the strongest emphatic statements in Scripture used to convey the ceasing of sin in the life of the believer. John Wesley said: “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.” Sadly we have tolerated a hell-less, eternity-less, sin-less gospel and this next generation is aimed at accepting this as the genuine apostolic original. The true Christian witness seems to be almost overshadowed by false doctrines, false cults, and false prophets. It is time for a holy desperation for revival to arise in God’s people! Mary Warburton Booth said this when the Salvation Army movement was waning: ”How we have prayed for a Revival - we did not care whether it was old-fashioned or not - what we asked for was that it should be such that would cleanse and revive His children and set them on fire to win others.” We need a fury of passionate pleading, desperate crying, fervent praying for a heaven-sent revival in our day. Chuck Smith gave this searing statement to a church that does not realize its hour: “Today, we are living in desperate times. Yet, the Church is not desperate before God in prayer.”

Leonard Ravenhill said that “Revival only comes by birth.” With birth comes: laborious gestation, travailing birth-pains, and conceptional agony, shall the birthing of of revival be any different? Revival prayer is born out of a holy and healthy desperation for the presence and power of Christ in His church. We need not shrink back from emotions and displays of desperation for revival, read this old report from one hundred years ago with the Irish Presbyterian Church: “Perhaps you say it’s a sort of religious hysteria. So did some of us when we first heard of the Revival. But here we are, about sixty Scottish and Irish Presbyterians who have seen it-all shades of temperament-and, much as many of us shrank from it at first, everyone who has seen and heard what we have, every day last week, it is certain there is only one explanation-that it is God’s Holy Spirit manifesting Himself in a way we never dreamed of. We have no right to criticize; we dare not. One clause of the Creed that lives before us now in all its inevitable, awful solemnity is ‘I believe in the Holy Ghost.’” God is desiring to manifest Himself in ways that we “never dreamed of” which is reminiscent of the Scripture in Psalms that says: “When the Lord turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream.” Oh Lord! turn back our captivity and grant us revival.

REVIVAL OR DEATH

“For decades sincere believers have asked, "Why don't we have revival?" And for decades the answer has always been the same: We don't have revival because we're willing to live without it! It really is that simple. Do we really want to hear the truth? God responds to hunger and thirst. He fills those who recognize their need, who are empty and broken, who are at the point of desperation, who are panting for Him the way a deer pants for water in the desert. He answers dependent prayers. Sure, we want revival. But we don't need revival. That's the difference. God will meet us at our point of need, not our point of preference. Revival is God's radical measure to get the church in a given area or at a given time back to normal before it falls into spiritual oblivion and cultural irrelevance. Revival comes when we realize that it's either revival or death, revival or continued backsliding, revival or the world around us goes to hell.” In this above quote from Michael Brown, he really speaks to the high requirement for revival namely in one word: Everything! Oh Brethren we must realize that this has always been so, there are no shortcuts with God, we will never see a revival until this is realized and acted upon. In light of eternity let us have tears for our lack of desire and desperation for God. John Knox was a Great Man of God and this was his prayer, " God give me Scotland or I die!" Again, John Hyde who was a missionary, prayed, " God give me souls or I die" Again, Whitefield prayed, " God give me souls or take my soul!" May we take it further dear reader, can you pray: “Give me revival or I die?”

Where are those that have a burdened heart like Evan Roberts, he prayed for revival night and day for twelve years. At the end of these twelve years he prayed with such intensity, agony and urgency that his landlord asked him to vacate his living quarters. Is there a burning in your soul? a building desire in your heart? Let us not fool ourselves the prayer meeting is “dead” and so are multitudes in their trespasses and sins. We need a holy desperation to fill our prayer meetings, a holy zeal that will not relent until revival comes. The “Lord comes suddenly” to his temple, let us not be found sleeping or great will be our shame. Mario Murillo in his article: ‘Vital insights into God’s preparations for revival’ states: “now is the time to pull out all the stops. No program is sacred, no worthy project is worth enough. None of the ointment can be spared. It is revival or death!” William Seymour the father of the modern day pentecostal movement prayed for five to seven hours a day for over a year for revival. And what resulted? a glorious powerful sweeping pentecost swept the world. Winkie Pratney told why there was no revival in the church over twenty years ago: “We do not have men and women who are prepared to pay the same price to preach the same message and have the same power as those revivalists of the past. Without these firm believers, the community can never be changed. Our concern is conciliatory, our obedience optional, our lack theologically and culturally justified. Quite simply, it costs too much!” S.B. Shaw who wrote on the welsh revival shares the results of a true heaven-sent revival: “A revival that like a tornado will sweep away all the old dried-up sermons, and all the cold formal prayers, and all the lifeless singing, and like a whirlwind will carry everyone that comes in its path heavenward. A revival that will fill the hearts of saints with holy love, and so burden the hearts of God's ministers that the word of God will be like fire shut up in their bones. For such a revival our heart cries out to God! For such a revival we are ready to watch and toil and pray.” May we take it further dear reader, for such a revival are you willing to die?

IF NO REVIVAL

In the writings of Isaiah we see three clear consequences for the result of the nation of Israel not having repentance towards God. May I say that these three consequences will also be ours if we do not have a renewed repentance in the Church and a revolutionary revival from Heaven. If no revival then we will see these three judgments come on the earth and surely anyone that has been awakened to the hour will realize these monstrous consequences are already have fallen upon us.

If no revival then, [i]hell will be enlarged[/i]. “Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure.” Oh the horror of it, hell yawning and swallowing multiplied millions of souls that will be damned forever. To just see a glimpse of this reality will shake any soul to ask what can be done? George Whitefield said: “At the day of judgement we shall all meet again.” How will you feel when you meet all of the millions of souls that could have been saved if you prayed and sought God for a revival of religion? When the Church does not have revival hell enlarges what a frightful thought.

If no revival then, [i]sin will abound[/i]. Men will begin to draw sin “with a cart” speaking of the enormous amounts of sin that abounds in a season when the Church is not being the salt of the earth. We see that evidently today where people call good evil and evil good and to such God says “Woe unto them.” As Richard Baxter said of sin, “it is the murderer of the whole world.” The only hope for lost captive sinners is Christ! yet the Church and Christians keep multitudes from Christ. Lamentable fact! When the church is not the “light of the world” the world falls into outer darkness. When the Church does not have revival sin abounds 0n the earth.

If no revival then, [i]the Word will be despised[/i]. In a season where there is no revival in the church the world will begin to disregard the law of God as the Scripture says “they have cast away the law of the Lord.” And they begin to “despise” not only the Word of God but the “Holy One of Israel.” This is a double-smart; the church is ineffective and God is mocked. Martyn-Lloyd Jones wrote to this fact: “Does it grieve you my friends, that the name of God is being taken in vain and desecrated? Does it grieve you that we are living in a godless age. The main reason we should be praying about revival is that we are anxious to see God’s name vindicated and His glory manifested.” When the Church does not have revival God’s name is despised.

Leonard Ravenhill wrote: “this generation of Christians is responsible for this generation of sinners.” This responsibility is of eternal consequence dear reader, being a Christian is a somber thing. Over a hundred years ago Andrew Bonar wrote: “Revivals begin with God's own people; the Holy Spirit touches their heart anew, and gives them new fervor and compassion, and zeal, new light and life, and when He has thus come to you, He next goes forth to the valley of dry bones…Oh, what responsibility this lays on the Church of God! If you grieve Him away from yourselves, or hinder His visit, then the poor perishing world suffers sorely!” Evan Roberts wrote: “Prayer is buried, and lost and Heaven weeps.  If all prayed the wicked would flee from our midst or to the refuge.”

LOSS OF REPUTATION

Perhaps one reason why there is no revival is because the minister’s are not willing to pay the cost, namely the loss of reputation. Gilbert Tennet was used mightily of God in the second great awakening, hear him give account of the popular preaching in his day: "They often strengthened the hands of the wicked by promising them life. They comfort people before they convince them; sow before they plow: and are busy in raising a fabric before they lay a foundation. These foolish builders strengthen men's carnal security by their soft, selfish, cowardly discourses. They have not the courage or honesty to thrust the nail of terror into the sleeping souls!" Preaching without unction, Praying without fervor, are two reasons why revival tarries in our day. We need a moratorium on reputation to see revival. May God rouse this generation to a passionate pursuit for revival and a determined ardor to see it come to pass.

2006/11/10 0:05Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re: REVIVAL AT ANY COST! by Greg Gordon

The Lord has stirred my heart to regain a holy desperation i once had. Thank you brother Greg for being submissive to the Spirit's leading. Not 3 months ago i was praying for God's burden, now i have lost that fire due to complacency and apathy.

"Wilt Thou not revive us again, that Thy people may rejoice in Thee?"

2006/11/10 1:41Profile
Compton

Re:

I was trying to select from all the possible quotes in this article when I realized it needs to be read in entirety.

If this message seems old news to you...you are the very one who needs repentence.

Truly we need to cancel our plans and close our businesses down...and tarry for this fire. The hour is late and the play is almost over...soon the stage we thought was life will be dismantled. The cardboard backdrop of our businesses, the orchestra of our fickle emotions will all be at an end, and the lights that reveal who you really are will be turned up.

Let's look for eternity behind the veil...it's closer then we imagine and more real then our illusions.

Read and absorb this article brethren.

MC

2006/11/10 1:55Profile
jewalz

Elmira, NY

PRAY OR BE PREY!

Julian Raven

2006/11/10 8:44Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I have been distributing these articles through different means, one being on myspace and got this comment back from a pastor:

Quote:
Blessings Greg!

Your article is stirring and well researched. We are contending for Revival here in Hawaii at The River Church. Your article adds fuel to my flame!

Revival must start with us. It starts with you and me. It starts with all of us personally.

We must each have our own personal revival. We must take in the words that to walk with the Lord will cost us "everything" as a personal reality that we acknowledge, accept, and walk in. It is the discipleship call. We must pick up our cross and carry it daily as one living our life as though dead to the world and it's influences. We must walk as though a solider, but not one on furlough, walk as if single though married, etc. We must give up our own lives, or lose them.

All the discipleship requirements to follow Jesus Christ still apply. Read your Gospels and apply accordingly. The point of those requirements all settle down to are you making Jesus Christ the Lord of your life, holding absolutely nothing back. This is the fine-print of the gospel. For too many in the visible church, all they have heard is a surface level gospel which promises fire-insurance for free, and never mentions living one's life unto death as a pre-condition of salvation. They want the Savior, but not the Lord. We have to get our message right, or we will be trying to revive people that aren't even saved in the first place (they need renewal to life, not refreshing/revival).

To be friends with the world is to be an enemy of God. For some in the church, the TV needs to go into the trash can. For some others, their computers or internet need to be thrown away. There has to be an overhaul of one's life and repointing unto God. Evil relationships must be broken off. Idols must be destroyed. God must have His rightful place in all things, everything. The need and desire for entertainment and the things of this world are surface symptoms of something more serious.

The bottom line is, the Bride of Christ must decided to turn away from it's adulteries, it's harlotry, and forsake it's idolartry. She is naked or wears filthy rages. She must turn and burn these idols to no longer serve them, then turn with her whole heart to whom she calls "My Husband" (Hosea 2:16, Jeremiah 31:32, Revelation 21:9, Matthew 22:1-14, Revelation 19:7,9)

Practically speaking, John Wesley, for instance, wouldn't permit any to be his ministers unless they committed to fast two days a week (Luke 5:35, Joel 2:12-19). Repentance involves humbling oneself, and humbling oneself, scripturally, involves fasting. Forsake one's sins (repent!) and destroy the idols, begin fasting, and commit to a regular-early-morning-solitary-place-audible-spirit-led prayer time including praise, worship, thanksgiving and followed by devotional Bible study. We must seek His face with our whole heart to find Him. Jeremiah 29:10-11.

The Church isn't in revival because the church doesn't fast, pray, and obey God. The church isn't in revival because it is compromised, adulterously pursuing other gods, and not the One true God. The church must "Repent! the Kingdom of God is at hand!".

The church must "awake to righteousness and do not sin" (1 Corinthians 15:34). She needs to wake up and shake off the crud and return to her God, her Husband. The call to stop sinning, to live holy lives, to live righteously, cannot be any clearer unless one twists the scriptures to mean otherwise (2 Peter 3:16). The same Paul that wrote about imputed righteousness, also wrote "do not sin". How could anyone actually think otherwise except they be deceived?

The church must come to a place where she loathes herself for the evil she has done (Ezekiel 6:9). She must repent and then she will be revived, not before!

Blessings!
--ronald

2006/11/11 3:36Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here are some more responses:

Quote:
Thank You Greg - Some times looking back in history at the revivalists we can then begin to really see, how far we the church have slipped backwards and into slumber and lukewarmness.

God forgive us.

Quote:

Praise Jesus!! Lion of Judah!!!

yes Greg we see the need, we agonize over the lost, we pray for revival yet- it tarries.

i wish to share a few observations from my own experience. First i don't believe that revival is even possible from within the institutional church. We are now in the time when they will not tolerate sound doctrine. To many hirelings zealously protect their pulpits from the truth. The days of people such as Finney speaking from a steeplehouse pulpit are past. Go and speak of Holiness or witnessing to the lost it will meet with indifference, apathy and in many cases hostility. Particularly if we begin to call sin, sin.

It is not only the world that hates the things of God so does much of churchianity. The organized church has become old wineskins unsuitable to hold the wine of repentance, truth, holiness and revival. In fact i think we will see great opposition from many of these insttutions when we go to the streets and preach because it will be bad for their business.

If there isa to be revival in America i think it will be in the highways and byways. It will begin with the poorest and least fortunate of people and it will take place amidst persecution. Only the Lords sold out remnant will be involved and they will suffer and struggle to do so. i dont think we will see anything like a wave of repentance sweeping the nation. Pockets here and there perhaps. Things have went to far for this nation and most of its people to turn back. i realize that this is a dismal portrayal and i would wish to be wrong. Unfortunately neither my eyes nor His Spirit tell me that i am.

Blessings Hisservant rich

Matthew 4:17

Quote:
This is amazing....the "revival or death " has been in my spirit for about 3 years now...and this election (and the horrible homosexual scandals leading up to it) only intensifide it. it is PERFECTLY CLEAR>.......elections and morally debased leaders and political parties and "get out the vote " rallies will NOT SAVE THIS NATION.....we've made the GOP leaders idols...and even when they are bankrupt we prop them up.....someone over at the elijah list said God was "chuckling" over the elections...

I thought "WHat spirit are you hearing from"? I'm sensing the" day of the Lord" ....repent or perish......and I've emailed political leaders using a paraphrase of the wild-eyed Patrick Henry....he screeched GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH....I've changed it to GIVE ME RIGHTEOUSNESS OR GIVE ME DEATH...for unless righteousness reigns in leaders and in this nation we are headed for death anyway...I WANT TO GO DOWN WITH THE GOOD FIGHT FOR THE LORD AND HIS HOLINESS !!

2006/11/11 3:53Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is another response on this article:

Quote:
I am not opposed to revival or biblical evangelism.

However, let us focus on the things that the LORD has told us to focus on.

We are commanded to seek Jesus and become JUST LIKE JESUS. If we REALLY do this, the revival God has designed will follow!

Does this involve prayer? Absolutely. Does this mean we will do as Brother Rich has said, going out away from the organized church? What other way is there?

But I say this truth>>>> The Revival the WILL Come from God will NOT be like anyone thinks!

Do not expect it to look like it has in the past, you may miss it! Seek the Lord. Become like Jesus. Rely on God. Trust in HIM!

Repent from following our own ways, our own plans, our own programs, our own ideas of what a revival consists of. Lay them ALL DOWN and allow them to be burned up by the Fire of God.

Let us not attempt to do God's work, which is REVIVAL. Instead, let us be about the work God has given us to do which is abiding in Christ Jesus; remembering that when we DO Abide in Him, we will walk JUST AS HE WALKED! We will NOT dredge this up out of our abilities, nor will we be able to determine how things will come about.

We will learn ONLY to Speak the things the Lord speaks and DO ONLY what we see Him do, JUST LIKE JESUS did while He lived on the earth.

God will take care of the increase, let us leave Him to do as HE wills and come into submission to Him and His ways.

Do we want to see revival?

Then get to the place where this comes true>>>

Joh 14:20 At that time [when that day comes] you will know [for yourselves] that I am in My Father, and you [are] in Me, and I [am] in you.
Joh 14:21 The person who has My commands and keeps them is the one who [really] loves Me; and whoever [really] loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I [too] will love him and will show (reveal, manifest) Myself to him. [I will let Myself be clearly seen by him and make Myself real to him.]

When THIS is true in our lives, we will not have to concern ourselves with revival because it will be happening around us!

a bondslave in Christ Jesus, Dirk

2006/11/12 11:59Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
The only hope for lost captive sinners is Christ! yet the Church and Christians keep multitudes from Christ. Lamentable fact!

Quote:
“Does it grieve you my friends, that the name of God is being taken in vain and desecrated? Does it grieve you that we are living in a godless age. The main reason we should be praying about revival is that we are anxious to see God’s name vindicated and His glory manifested.”

Quote:
“Prayer is buried, and lost and Heaven weeps. If all prayed the wicked would flee from our midst or to the refuge.”

The last paragraph, loss of reputation... One must read this through to the end.

And [i]pray[/i].

2006/11/12 21:45Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

quote:

Quote:
Leonard Ravenhill wrote: “this generation of Christians is responsible for this generation of sinners.” This responsibility is of eternal consequence dear reader, being a Christian is a somber thing. Over a hundred years ago Andrew Bonar wrote: “Revivals begin with God's own people; the Holy Spirit touches their heart anew, and gives them new fervor and compassion, and zeal, new light and life, and when He has thus come to you, He next goes forth to the valley of dry bones…Oh, what responsibility this lays on the Church of God! If you grieve Him away from yourselves, or hinder His visit, then the poor perishing world suffers sorely!”

There is so much truth and reality in this above statement.
I can't seem not to continually think about this whole statement - It seems to have gripped my heart especially one sentance I believe we should all think on.

Statement:

” This responsibility is of eternal consequence"

This puts a burden in my heart and leaves me in tears and causrs me to cry out to God and Pray.

Soncerely, Lynn

2006/11/16 18:30Profile
preacherafla

Michigan, USA

Revival does not come cheap. The costs are monetary, time, inconvenience to self, and just basically picking up your cross and following Jesus. Are you willing to do that? So many say they are but so few truly do.
We must tarry IN prayer so God can prepare our hearts for revival. Someone once asked the British evangelist Gypsy Smith, "How do you start a revival?" Smith replied, "Go home and get a piece of chalk. Go into your closet and draw a circle on the floor. Kneel down in the middle of the circle and ask God to start the revival inside the chalk mark. When He has answered your prayer, the revival has begun."

Thank you Greg for another moving and well written, informative, encouraging article

--Preacheraflame

2006/11/23 10:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy