SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Call me King James Only! But only if....

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Rebuke

Jimbob,

You ought to really consider your own words more carefully;

Quote:
Hey, I have an even better idea... pray to God to open the eyes of your understanding and to give you a Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation in the knowledge of HIM, so that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened...

You are speaking to a man of God who has walked now some 40 odd years with the Lord, putting him squarely in the realm of;

[i]We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.[/i] Th 5:12,13

Take the log of pride out of your eye along with the unfounded criticism.

[i]*Edit; See where taking a statement on particulars and making a broad application by way of assumption can get us? Rather difficult to be charitable towards hostilities of this nature.[/i]

2006/10/21 9:23Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Just yesterday, as I was walking down the street I tried out those Thee’s and Thou’s with my Lord. I sensed him cautioning me just like he has so many times in my past: “It’s not about trying to mimic someone else’s faith journey, but about being authentic.” And God knows how hard that has been for me.

Another classic word, 'authentic'... Diane, does it seem more that the meaning get's more imbedded and in turn expressed than any recognition of the actually syllabales?

In other words, similar to "Abba, Father", times where it need not even be spoken from the lips or within the framework of the mind praying ...

[i]Oh Lord, thou knowest[/i]

No different than just...

Father

2006/10/21 10:46Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Have my own pride logs to deal with, regret that statement, forgive me. The criticism still unfounded and unwarranted brother.

2006/10/21 18:24Profile
mamalluk

Re:

Proverbs 13:10
Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

Quote:
Have my own pride logs to deal with, regret that statement, forgive me. The criticism still unfounded and unwarranted brother.

Just as pride brings out contention, humility restores fellowship and manifests Christ's glory,every time.

May God help us not to miss this virtue whenever we glimpse at the Cross.

Praise God for setting the example on SI, Crsschk. (And you too Paulwest).

2006/10/21 19:01Profile
roadsign

Re: The greatest is love

On another thread I noticed two comments about the Calvinist vs Armenian debate, which I feel apply here:

1. There are spiritual giants on both sides.
2. We need BOTH sides.

We cannot deny that there are spiritual giants among those who by practice and conviction are primarily KJVers and those who are primarily MTers. And both “sides” also have their vast entourage of deceivers and deceived.

Of course we are all the better for those who keep the KJV alive and the beauty of the old language; for those and strive to preserve Biblical purity. Where would we be without all the great authors and preachers, past and present, who quote from it? What about all those precious saints (KJV lovers) who have edified us personally?

And were would those many be without a Bible that speaks in their own language – modern-day English? And what about those among them who love the Lord and serve him faithfully, and contend with us in the faith?

In a sense the best defense for any translation is the lives of those who read it. I admit, I tend to appreciate someone’s Bible version when I see how marvelously it has impacted him.

Then again, one’s preference does not speak nearly as loudly as his love (or lack thereof) for God and fellow man. Of course it would by unloving (rude) to blurt a generalized put down of someone else’s beloved Bible, or tempt him to doubt God's voice within it. “Love is never rude.” (1 Cor. 13)

Quote:
Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

I have a hunch that if we center our eyes on our OWN Bibles, and less on someone else’s, Christendom would be better off. After all, there is more than enough in any Bible to keep any reader broken and contrite for an entire life.

Diane

2006/10/22 18:17Profile

Re:

One thing I have become more convinced of by reading all the various opinions on the bible translation threads is this.
I am glad I am not a strict KJV "ONLY" guy but I am also equally glad I am a KJV "PREFFERED" guy.
God bless, John

2006/10/23 2:19
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Call me King James Only! But only if....

Outstanding article, Krisp!

I have listened to some David Cloud, and I like him. I have heard a lot of bad talk towards him, which I didn't know to be true or untrue. I like the way you didn't put his name on the top. I honestly would have looked at the article differently.

2006/10/23 11:18Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
In a sense the best defense for any translation is the lives of those who read it. I admit, I tend to appreciate someone’s Bible version when I see how marvelously it has impacted him.

Then again, one’s preference does not speak nearly as loudly as his love (or lack thereof) for God and fellow man. Of course it would by unloving (rude) to blurt a generalized put down of someone else’s beloved Bible, or tempt him to doubt God's voice within it. “Love is never rude.” (1 Cor. 13)

Thank you Diane for sharing this. These are Godly words that I hope to take to heart.

2006/10/23 11:35Profile

Re:

Quote:
What did people do before the KJV came along?

A simple answer to this is... the issue (for me anyway) is not the KJV, but the manuscripts underlying it. There were earlier versions of the Textus Receptus before 1611. In fact, about 80% of the KJV NT is based on William Tindale's work. All down thru the centuries there were translations of what would later be collected and called the Textus Receptus, and these translations were in Italian, German, etc.

The Word was out there... and Roman Catholic Church did it's best to suppress it and keep it out of the hands of common people.

Not until 1881 did the Alexandrian Text begin to be used in non-Catholic Bibles. The Catholic Church always held to the Alexandrian Text. Now it has been accepted outside of the Catholic Church.

But the true Word of God has always been out there. Not as readibly available as it is now... but it was out there, it was being translated and read, and God was working thru it. We today just choose to be completely ignorant of church history.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Krispy

2006/10/23 12:00
hindsey

What if...

I wonder what would have happened if Westcott and Hort had not gotten their way back in 1881 (when the Revised Version was translated from their Greek text, taken primarily from the 2 Alexandrian manuscripts, Vaticanus and Sinaiticus).

If we look at the early great critics of the Alexandrian manuscripts, like Burgon, we find that they were not insisting that the Textus Receptus could not be edited, but rather that the Alexandrian text was just so corrupted that it should not be used. Had those two men (Westcott and Hort) been unsuccessful in their work, I imagine we would have somewhat of a different KJV than we have today.

One more thought that I have on the subject after reading the posts: The comment was made that someone could get saved from the NIV for example - of course that is true. However, we must remember that "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God... That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Timothy 3:16-17) The day a person is born again by grace through faith, it is the first time in their lives that they did anything to please God (without faith it is impossible to please Him). In my humble opinion: preferences, or "what works for me," or "what is easier for me" should have nothing to do with the decision of which Bible to use, but rather we should desire only that which is closest to what God inspired.

2006/10/24 15:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy